Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,757,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And what has happened in Ala Moana has nothing to do with Hilo. They're different worlds.
No your right but its an example of what Gentrification does. Which is happening all over. Im not opposed to big business or business but to be honest, its really boring to see the same businesses in every major city. Its nice to have diversity. Thats the point, we are losing the diverse unique ma & pa type business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Or, shopping habits changed since the 70s and 80s. Longs and Foodland are in the mall. And I definitely wouldn't mind a Taco Bell to replace some of the awful food court places.
Your convinced that this was a personal choice thing by people and not a social engineered plan for change? Look at the change in the direction of Ala Moana mall and International market place or Hilo. All these choices where made based on bringing in more money from tourism, not really what people in the communities wantted. Just because people eventually acceptted it because theres no alternative doesn't mean it was welcomed in the first place. I don't know if this is this a form of denial for you or what?

Oh and i would trade a K.C drive inn or Chicken Alice or even a Mr. Young's crackseed store for an li hing mui icee for a taco bell anytime whtviper1

Dang im old, heard they closed Queen Liliuokalani Elementary School? I went there for awhile. Oh hum.

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 10-22-2014 at 01:31 PM..

Old 10-22-2014, 06:33 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Very interesting, thanks Jonah.

I see that it generally says the same things I've been saying all along, that commercial property vacancies in Hilo are high, rents are depressed, and certain retail categories are underserved, many of which could previously been found as independent local retailers in Hilo perhaps 20 years ago.

The muted recommendation for a long range commercial development at Kawili and Puainiko seems based on catering to the projected growth in student population in that area, with stores catering to their needs and tastes within walking distance of housing makes sense, paralleling the way student-centric shopping and dining and entertainment choices grow around most universities, but skirting gingerly around the issue of the current surplus of existing commercial rental space in the area.

I was also intrigued by the analysis of the RMP Opportunity Gap - Retail Stores, calling out many of the same kinds of stores that went missing in the community due to the influx of mid-box and big-box stores.
No problem. I found the "RMP Opportunity Gap - Retail Stores" analysis intriguing as well. Apparently, many folks on the Hilo side don't seem to mind utilizing the internet or going to Kona (or even Oʻahu) to purchase stuff that falls within the "underserved" retail categories. It also offers some insight into why some small businesses in Hilo, such as "Agasa Furniture & Music Store" managed to survive while others, like Kope Kope Espresso Café folded.

Quote:
Here's something I'm curious about that you can probably answer, Jonah... what, if any impact is there on tax revenues due to the various stores being built on DHHL properties? Are the property taxes to the county the same as they'd be on privately owned land? What about GET on the property rental income? And finally, how is that rental income used? Does any of it benefit the general public, or does it all go to DHHL programs?
Overall, there was an increase in tax revenues due to the various stores that were built on DHHL properties. Keep in mind that most of the counties in Hawaiʻi separate out the taxable value of the land and the taxable value of any buildings and improvements. A vacant DHHL commercial lot in Hilo might have a taxable value of $1,000. Without improvements, the County of Hawai'i might get $10.05 per year in property taxes at the current rates. However, if a DHHL lessee puts a $10 million commercial building and parking lot is put on it, the County of Hawaiʻi will get $100,510.05 per year in property tax revenue. In terms of property rental income, the DHHL got approximately $3.1 million from its commercial leases during fiscal year 2013. Keep in mind that the DHHL is a state agency and it receives much of its approximately $30 million to $40 million annual operating income from various state funds and trusts. The annual rental income from DHHL's commercial leases is almost enough to cover the expenses of its land management division. However, the DHHL's expenditures usually exceeds its revenues by anywhere from $10 million to $20 million annually. Thus, the rental income from the DHHL's commercial leases is spent before it's even collected.

Quote:
And what about the proposed university development? Same questions about retail uses of University property?
For now, some of the existing construction and development contracts will probably be fulfilled. However, since there have been some changes in UH's administration over the past few years, there's no telling what the future holds.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Your convinced that this was a personal choice thing by people and not a social engineered plan for change? Look at the change in the direction of Ala Moana mall and International market place or Hilo. All these choices where made based on bringing in more money from tourism, not really what people in the communities wantted. Just because people eventually acceptted it because theres no alternative doesn't mean it was welcomed in the first place. I don't know if this is this a form of denial for you or what?

Oh and i would trade a K.C drive inn or Chicken Alice or even a Mr. Young's crackseed store for an li hing mui icee for a taco bell anytime whtviper1

Dang im old, heard they closed Queen Liliuokalani Elementary School? I went there for awhile. Oh hum.
When you talk about "what people want" consider this -- there are people who grew up in Hilo who never drove over to Kona (other side of the island) UNTIL Costco and Target opened in Kona. The Target store opening was the biggest social event in years, maybe decades. I think the people have spoken!

Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
No problem. I found the "RMP Opportunity Gap - Retail Stores" analysis intriguing as well. Apparently, many folks on the Hilo side don't seem to mind utilizing the internet or going to Kona (or even Oʻahu) to purchase stuff that falls within the "underserved" retail categories. It also offers some insight into why some small businesses in Hilo, such as "Agasa Furniture & Music Store" managed to survive while others, like Kope Kope Espresso Café folded.
Agasa Furniture and Music Store is exactly the kind of ideosyncratic local owned business that adds a lot of character to a town. Business in the front, party in the back! Well, not exactly, but with all the living room and bedroom and dining room furniture up front, it just doesn't look like the kind of place that is going to have a whole room full of nice guitars and even nicer ukuleles in the back. And the lady who runs it is very relaxed, very patient, very full of Aloha. I'd sure like to see more of that kind of spirit in the old Downtown.

Quote:
The annual rental income from DHHL's commercial leases is almost enough to cover the expenses of its land management division. However, the DHHL's expenditures usually exceeds its revenues by anywhere from $10 million to $20 million annually. Thus, the rental income from the DHHL's commercial leases is spent before it's even collected.
Gotcha, thanks, but that still leaves one question... do they pay GET on the rental income they receive? Or are they exempt because they are a state agency?

What I'm getting at is, what's the net revenue to Hawai'i County from the rental income going through DHHL versus private property? Leave tax on sales out of it.

Quote:
For now, some of the existing construction and development contracts will probably be fulfilled. However, since there have been some changes in UH's administration over the past few years, there's no telling what the future holds.
Yeah, I can understand that. But I was just trying to get an understanding of whether or not the University gets a break on taxes... property tax and/or GET on rents... or are they like a private owner in those regards?

Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
When you talk about "what people want" consider this -- there are people who grew up in Hilo who never drove over to Kona (other side of the island) UNTIL Costco and Target opened in Kona. The Target store opening was the biggest social event in years, maybe decades. I think the people have spoken!
Thats the power of advertisements, why do you think companies spend so much money on marketing? To tell us what new wonderful new things we need to have to be whole or right in the world. Eh understand now? We are slaves to buying stuff.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:58 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Quote:
Thats the power of advertisements, why do you think companies spend so much money on marketing? To tell us what new wonderful new things we need to have to be whole or right in the world. Eh understand now? We are slaves to buying stuff.

pppsssssstttttttttt............................... .... (don't tell anybody, but I don't own a cel phone)

(or a friggin I-Pad)

I think I may be breaking some law

Uuuurrrrpppp

Old 10-23-2014, 12:13 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Gotcha, thanks, but that still leaves one question... do they pay GET on the rental income they receive? Or are they exempt because they are a state agency?

What I'm getting at is, what's the net revenue to Hawai'i County from the rental income going through DHHL versus private property? Leave tax on sales out of it.
In a nutshell, under Hawaiʻi Revised Statutes § 237-23, the DHHL is exempt from paying the GET on any rental income it receives. Moreover, under S.B. 2268, the DHHL will be entitled to receive revenue from the GET for operational expenses. The County of Hawaiʻi gets no direct revenue from the DHHL; however, it gets "licenses" to use some DHHL land for parks (e.g. "Panaʻewa Park" and "Keaukaha Park") and a score of "perpetual easements" for $1 apiece or free.

Quote:
Yeah, I can understand that. But I was just trying to get an understanding of whether or not the University gets a break on taxes... property tax and/or GET on rents... or are they like a private owner in those regards?
UH is "tax-exempt" as well. In general, if an entity gets the bulk of its funding from the State of Hawaiʻi, it's probably going to be "tax exempt."

Old 10-23-2014, 12:25 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Moreover, under S.B. 2268, the DHHL will be entitled to receive revenue from the GET for operational expenses.
Having worked with the DHHL in the past, I can only wonder how 'loosely' they define exactly what constitutes an 'operational expense'

'Lunch at the Femme Nu today boys!!!!!'

Old 10-23-2014, 01:01 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
So you think the only things that people buy at the big box stores are things they don't really want? What about the fact that instead of going to the local store and paying $10 for an item, they can go to Target and buy the exact same thing for $7?

Yeah I guess people are "slaves" to buy food and toilet paper and clothes and all those other frivolous things that they did without before the big stores came in And I guess we should all just go back to growing our own food and making our own clothes, instead of mindlessly shopping for things we don't really need just to make everything right in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island