Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:49 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So you think the only things that people buy at the big box stores are things they don't really want? What about the fact that instead of going to the local store and paying $10 for an item, they can go to Target and buy the exact same thing for $7?

Yeah I guess people are "slaves" to buy food and toilet paper and clothes and all those other frivolous things that they did without before the big stores came in And I guess we should all just go back to growing our own food and making our own clothes, instead of mindlessly shopping for things we don't really need just to make everything right in the world.
Agreed. The bashing of anything "new" is ridiculous.

Don't forget what happens to that extra $ that people now have due to prices being being lower.
They are able to spend that money on additional things from other businesses (further stimulating the local economy).

Still waiting for anyone to rebut this point I made the other day, which none of the Walmart bashers want to discuss.

Quote:
And the point is, in Hilo, those retail mom-and-pop stores DO use subsidies like food stamps, etc. to help them with their business plan - not a single bit different than Walmart is being accused of doing, except that Walmart, in Hilo, pays employees more per hour than those little stores do (or did).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Having worked with the DHHL in the past, I can only wonder how 'loosely' they define exactly what constitutes an 'operational expense'

'Lunch at the Femme Nu today boys!!!!!'
Pretty loose -- if businesses were run like the DHHL, they would've been bankrupt a long time ago.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:33 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
So you think the only things that people buy at the big box stores are things they don't really want? What about the fact that instead of going to the local store and paying $10 for an item, they can go to Target and buy the exact same thing for $7?

Yeah I guess people are "slaves" to buy food and toilet paper and clothes and all those other frivolous things that they did without before the big stores came in And I guess we should all just go back to growing our own food and making our own clothes, instead of mindlessly shopping for things we don't really need just to make everything right in the world.
Sure your can be kolohe argumentive because thats not what i said. Or be honest and look at the facts that the average household credit card debt stands at $15,607. Thats alot of Tolet paper and canned foods to be buying auntie.

Marketing and advertisement also tells us we are missing out if we don't have an Apple store or Macys etc. Understand?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
pppsssssstttttttttt............................... .... (don't tell anybody, but I don't own a cel phone)

(or a friggin I-Pad)

I think I may be breaking some law

Uuuurrrrpppp
Eh who need stinking Iphones and Ipads when you can get your surfskie out and enjoy the ocean?

But who am i to suggest taking others drugs away?

pppssssssssttttttt............ I no tell anyone how awsome it is to be out there with the waves and nature. If people knew how much of a better high it is, it wouldn't be an enjoyable experience. Jeeezzzzzz mainlanders try figure eh?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Agreed. The bashing of anything "new" is ridiculous.

Don't forget what happens to that extra $ that people now have due to prices being being lower.
They are able to spend that money on additional things from other businesses (further stimulating the local economy).

Still waiting for anyone to rebut this point I made the other day, which none of the Walmart bashers want to discuss.
I already did but it appears you maybe in denial?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/36976873-post170.html

Another words i have more empathy for a struggling small business to use the public welfare system to compensate for a low paying wage then Wallmart who after using the system clears billions in profit. Wallmart is ablebodied to pay there employees a liveable wage. Alot of ma & pas are not able. But do end up paying higher wages based on profit margins.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:10 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,514,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I already did but it appears you maybe in denial?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/36976873-post170.html

Another words i have more empathy for a struggling small business to use the public welfare system to compensate for a low paying wage then Wallmart who after using the system clears billions in profit. Wallmart is ablebodied to pay there employees a liveable wage. Alot of ma & pas are not able. But do end up paying higher wages based on profit margins.
No, you didn't answer the question. You danced around it. You also mentioned some small business owners might only make $1 or 2 million in profit. Could those small business owners not "afford" to pay a living wage to their employees and give them more than 19 hours? If that small business owner cannot open their store and pay a living wage, then maybe they shouldn't be opening it and hiring employees at slave wages, forcing their employees to get food stamps, etc.?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:31 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
Eh who need stinking Iphones and Ipads when you can get your surfskie out and enjoy the ocean?

But who am i to suggest taking others drugs away?

pppssssssssttttttt............ I no tell anyone how awsome it is to be out there with the waves and nature. If people knew how much of a better high it is, it wouldn't be an enjoyable experience. Jeeezzzzzz mainlanders try figure eh?
Folks still have to purchase surf skis, paddle boards, surfboards, etc. from someplace and some of the "big box" retailers offer pretty good deals on beginner models. For example, here's an 8' Taiwanese-manufactured, "Wavestorm" surfboard that sells at Costco for $179.
http://www.costco.com/Wave-Storm-8&#...100098389.html

Even some of the pros are using them.
Taken By Wavestorm

Old 10-23-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Folks still have to purchase surf skis, paddle boards, surfboards, etc. from someplace and some of the "big box" retailers offer pretty good deals on beginner models. For example, here's an 8' Taiwanese-manufactured, "Wavestorm" surfboard that sells at Costco for $179.
http://www.costco.com/Wave-Storm-8&#...100098389.html

Even some of the pros are using them.
Taken By Wavestorm
I can imagine any opinion i express other then the popular, consumer or profit first or rich preceptions on CDF Hawaii will get me in alot of stink on this forum. Despite the fact that most in Hawaii just want things not to change and want to maintain the simple, aloha lifestyles they known growing up.

Im done, sorry you felt i was suggesting taking away a vice.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:26 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:

Quote:
And the point is, in Hilo, those retail mom-and-pop stores DO use subsidies like food stamps, etc. to help them with their business plan - not a single bit different than Walmart is being accused of doing, except that Walmart, in Hilo, pays employees more per hour than those little stores do (or did).
There is nothing to rebut, because it's just an opinion. You didn't offer any evidence at all to support your opinion.

What you are missing in all this is that Walmart is very well documented to be screwing their employees, and depending on Corporate Welfare as part of their business plan. It's not even open for debate, because there is so much evidence that it's true, including Walmart management admitting that it's true, but saying there is nothing wrong with it. They even have people on staff who advise employees on HOW to get SNAP, and other public assistance. (Note: SNAP replaced Food Stamps in 2008.)

Arguing against that proven fact is just arguing to be contrary.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
No, you didn't answer the question. You danced around it. You also mentioned some small business owners might only make $1 or 2 million in profit. Could those small business owners not "afford" to pay a living wage to their employees and give them more than 19 hours? If that small business owner cannot open their store and pay a living wage, then maybe they shouldn't be opening it and hiring employees at slave wages, forcing their employees to get food stamps, etc.?
Typical freedoms and liberties only to those who can afford it mentality. You forget with power comes responsibilities. If walmart whats to be the retail corporation of our country, then they should be thinking of the welbeing of our country and not their pockets and shareholders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island