Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 12:53 AM

68 posts, read 107,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Grassyknoll, what about your experience with cell phones in OV?

I have Verizon and while generally our service is good, there are some patchy spots around the island. There's one area on the highway between OV and Waiohinu where I always lose service. While I get good service on the highway as it goes through OV, I was just at Tiki and Princess K, which is in the bottom third of the subdivision, and I had one bar.

When Rex moves we'll have at least five forum members in the OV/Na'alehu area. Time for a C-D party!
Straighttalk is thru Verizon so I should be ok... and I'm quite used to spotty service here so also np...

Party sounds great to me! Can I bring a friend? I'm coming over w/ a buddy who owns prop there already but hasn't been to it for years...... Which leads to a somewhat sensitive q... Is there much of a problem in the area w/ squatters on long untennanted props?

RC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2014, 06:55 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,744 times
Rex...

my 1st question. Is my Straighttalk phone going to work there? I have already called cust. serv. and was informed they do have service in 96737...

I was there Feb/Mar 2013 on an extended backpacking trip. I used Straighttalk service then and it woprked quite well...even in more remote parts of the national park. Didn't have any problems, but could have changed. It's my understanding they use AT&T and Verizon towers.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Chetco View Post
Straighttalk is thru Verizon so I should be ok... and I'm quite used to spotty service here so also np...

Party sounds great to me! Can I bring a friend? I'm coming over w/ a buddy who owns prop there already but hasn't been to it for years...... Which leads to a somewhat sensitive q... Is there much of a problem in the area w/ squatters on long untennanted props?

RC
If a party occurs, I don't see why you couldn't bring a +1. Part of the allure of Hawaii in general and South Hawaii Island in particular is the attitude of acceptance and inclusion. Heck, HOVE's unofficial motto is "Where everyone belongs".

I can't really speak to the issue with squatters as I have only been here about 6 months. But if your property is undeveloped, with no catchment or power, I doubt you would have squatter issues. If you had developed property and you were an absentee owner, i would definitely make arrangements for security of said property. Same advice I would have for anyone living in any rural area. Unattended property in remote locations invites problems.
I have property adjacent to Tahoe National Forest in California, I had squatters build a literal shanty town on it. They started a forest fire and when the Sheriff's department arrived they found one of California's 10 most wanted criminals living there. Fun-stuff.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:32 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'm on my phone, so i won't look it up for you, but use the Search function to pull up a post I wrote maybe a year ago about using Hele-On to circumnavigate the entire island... due to infrequent schedules that don't synchronize well it would take about 3 days to do that, but it is possible.
Here are a couple of the threads that touch on the subject...

From July 2013 re: fares
https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...ease-july.html

From Sept 2013 re: getting around on bus #7
https://www.city-data.com/forum/big-i...l#post31341864
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island