Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 03:22 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
nor do we have natural gas
Somebody should tell these folks:

Hawaii Gas | The Clean Energy Company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 04:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Somebody should tell these folks:

Hawaii Gas | The Clean Energy Company
OK, OK, some Hawaii Gas pipeline customers on Oahu get small amounts of Natural Gas mixed in with the SynGas that's manufactured there at the refinery, as the company experiments with importing Compressed Natural Gas from the mainland, because it is less expensive and the future of the refinery is uncertain. But their CNG importing at the moment is just a small scale pilot project, with no guarantee that large scale imports will be approved.

But nobody in the islands can buy actual Natural Gas at this point, or to enjoy its economies, which is the point I was making. Besides being expensive, the SynGas sold here contains less than half the heat energy per volume unit that natural gas does, which is why all appliances made to use natural gas have to be converted to use the manufactured gas that we can buy here.

Last edited by OpenD; 12-30-2014 at 04:56 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
But nobody in the islands can buy actual Natural Gas at this point, or to enjoy its economies, which is the point I was making. Besides being expensive, the SynGas sold here contains less than half the heat energy per volume unit that natural gas does, which is why all appliances made to use natural gas have to be converted to use the manufactured gas that we can buy here.
They sure seem to imply you can buy it on all the islands - including the BI.

http://www.hawaiigas.com/media/1274/...ff_12-1-12.pdf

"At current prices LNG is a cheaper alternative than petroleum fuels used in Hawai'i. Because LNG can be shipped inter-island and used in multiple applications such as utility gas, electricity generation and ground and marine transportation, it is a statewide energy solution, not just an O'ahu solution. LNG can reduce our reliance on imported crude oil and keep the cost of other fuels in check."

Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) | Hawaii Gas

They sure seem to imply cheaper than electric:

"Gas energy is the most cost-effective fuel next to the sun itself. A typical Hawaii Gas customer pays less per year for our gas energy than they would for electricity to do the same tasks. The cost to convert is also less than you may think."

"In typical home appliances, the direct use of gas energy results in energy consumption that is 28 percent less than a similar home with all-electric appliances. Efficiency saves energy and money."

Natural Gas in Your Home | Hawaii Gas

Even have an office in Kona:

Find a Location | Hawaii Gas

Old 12-30-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
They sure seem to imply you can buy it on all the islands - including the BI.
Not even close. Gas, yes. Natural Gas, no. They received their first shipment of LNG in the pilot project in April, of an amount equal to a fraction of Honolulu's daily requirement, which has to be regasified for mixing directly in with the syngas flowing in the Oahu pipeline. They have a total of three transport units to use in the pilot, each of which requires a minimum of 2 weeks to make a round trip to California for refilling. So the amount of natural gas in the Oahu system is currently negligible from a users standpoint. If the pilot is successful AND they get permission from all concerned authorities for full implementation, they believe they can be operational by 2018. And I posted about all this back then.

For those who will recall, I have previously posted about Hawaii Gas serving about 1/3 of the residents of Hawaii, mostly through individual bulk tank deliveries, plus pipelines in key areas, of the gas they manufacture. And there were some here... ahem... who refused to believe it was true until I posted the information from their website.

Here's news about the pilot... Hawaii Gas receives first shipment of LNG | More Local News - KITV Home

Quote:
"At current prices LNG is a cheaper alternative than petroleum fuels used in Hawai'i. Because LNG can be shipped inter-island and used in multiple applications such as utility gas, electricity generation and ground and marine transportation, it is a statewide energy solution, not just an O'ahu solution. LNG can reduce our reliance on imported crude oil and keep the cost of other fuels in check."
Yup. This is the argument for it. Here's hoping they get it approved and implemented. A lot of people could benefit.

Quote:
They sure seem to imply cheaper than electric:
No argument. But it's not cheap compared to mainland natural gas prices. Fortunately there isn't the same need in Hawai'i as there is on the mainland, and the main uses seem to be for gas ranges, water heaters, BBQs, and poolside tiki torches.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:46 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
The gas that Hawai'i Gas provides to our house on the Big Island is LPG. I looked up the definition of LPG, which is Liquefied Petroleum Gas, and found that LPG is a different chemical compound to natural gas even though they are "both hydrocarbons". To get really technical, LPG is composed primarily of propane and butane, while natural gas is composed of the lighter methane and ethane.

Anyway, according to Wikipedia, LPG is used in rural areas where there is no access to piped natural gas. That's Ka'u!

Old 12-30-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
The gas that Hawai'i Gas provides to our house on the Big Island is LPG. I looked up the definition of LPG, which is Liquefied Petroleum Gas, and found that LPG is a different chemical compound to natural gas even though they are "both hydrocarbons". To get really technical, LPG is composed primarily of propane and butane, while natural gas is composed of the lighter methane and ethane.

Anyway, according to Wikipedia, LPG is used in rural areas where there is no access to piped natural gas. That's Ka'u!
Yes, and the terms LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas), aka Liquid Propane, and LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) are easily confused, but they are not the same thing at all and cannot be interchanged in use. In a similar manner, Liquid Propane and Propane Gas are not interchangeable.

The differences between the liquid and the gaseous forms of both Propane and Natural Gas have to do with temperature and pressure at which each is kept in liquid form or in gaseous form. The former requires refrigeration to well below freezing.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:00 PM

Hey, Rex, Aloha! Come for the surf and the palm trees, stay for the science lesson!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, and the terms LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas), aka Liquid Propane, and LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) are easily confused, but they are not the same thing at all and cannot be interchanged in use. In a similar manner, Liquid Propane and Propane Gas are not interchangeable.

The differences between the liquid and the gaseous forms of both Propane and Natural Gas have to do with temperature and pressure at which each is kept in liquid form or in gaseous form. The former requires refrigeration to well below freezing.
I read my bill from Hawaii Gas that says that I'm using LPG.

All I know is that with the cost of electricity, I'm glad to have the ability to have a gas stove, gas water heater, and gas dryer. I haven't asked them to tell me whether I'm using propane or butane or whatever.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:09 PM

I think the website speaks for itself. Gas is available.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I think the website speaks for itself. Gas is available.
Nobody ever said it wasn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island