Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:22 PM

68 posts, read 107,498 times

Advertisements

I am sooooo tired of 'worshipping' on my knees, several hours every day, 5-6 months a year, just to create a tolerable temperature in which to live and work! To be quite honest... This is somewhere between 70-95% of my reason for choosing Hawaii as my next destination.
Been here a while? What are your memories of this sort of thing? With what did you fill those 'empty' hours? Do you ( gasp) miss it at all? etc.?
About to come to Hawaii or strongly considering it? How strong would you consider the 'woodstove' factor in your decision?
Endemic to Hawaii and don't really understand the questions or issue? Ask.... It's OK... ;-}

RC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 09:18 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,169,465 times
Ummmm, if you are still considering Oceanview, be aware, unless you choose to live in the bottom of the subdivision, you likely won't escape your good friend the woodstove. Many houses here at 2000' and above have them. It does get "Hawaii cold" here at night. Mornings in the mid 50's are routine and if you live higher up, you'll get in the 40's.
Sure, that doesn't sound cold, until you have been here a while and are acclimated to warmer temps.

Coming from Northern California and Alaska I have always had woodstoves, sort of miss having one here.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:59 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
But 50's and 40's are cold, ask anyone on the mainland what temperature it is inside their house and most of them keep it 60 or above. Since a lot of our houses in Hawaii don't have heaters, when it's in the 50's or 40's "cold" outside, it's also the same temperature inside where that actually IS cold.

If I lived on the mainland in someplace that heated with wood fires, I'd look into the old Roman hypocaust systems as well as the newer "Husta" stoves. With lots of thermal mass.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:38 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,951,354 times
Was 62 in Honolulu last night - definitely sweatshirt weather.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:23 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Here are two places on the Big Island that sell woodstoves and fireplaces...

In Hilo, in the old downtown facing the Bay
Fireplaces - Gas Stoves - Wood Stoves - Fireplace & Home Center, Hilo, Hawaii

In Waimea/Kamuela, on the Highway
Hawaii Fireplaces

Keep in mind that woodstoves are good at taking away the damp, as well as warming a place up.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 AM

68 posts, read 107,498 times
I awakened this morning to 5°f. The high temps forecast for today are going to be in the toasty mid-teens. I won't mind at all... having to build a small morning fire to take the 50° chill off...
Having to tend it all day for survival kinda sux tho....

RC

Old 12-30-2014, 10:10 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,072,228 times
A lot of mainland wood stoves seem to be for heating up the whole house, too, not just the people in them. Keeping that volume of space heated probably takes a lot more wood than if you were to just try to heat the people. If you were to wear whatever it is you wear outside then you'd probably not have to heat the house so much. Some folks used to live in ice houses, so they'd not be able to heat up the whole house and they managed to survive. Fur lined clothing might save on having to keep the wood stove running as much.

You can tell when it's wintertime around here. We occasionally shut the doors or windows to keep out the cold instead of just rain. And we break out the socks and a flannel shirt or two. We also have the electric blanket plugged in. So, it's officially in the deep dark of winter. It also goes dark from about 6:30 pm to about 6:00 am, so that's our long dark nights, too. Doesn't change much over the year, though, summer it gets an hour or two more daylight, but not as much as some places on the mainland manage.

Aren't there wood stoves available over in HOVE? Someone said a store there sold them.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:42 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,169,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
A lot of mainland wood stoves seem to be for heating up the whole house, too, not just the people in them. Keeping that volume of space heated probably takes a lot more wood than if you were to just try to heat the people. If you were to wear whatever it is you wear outside then you'd probably not have to heat the house so much. Some folks used to live in ice houses, so they'd not be able to heat up the whole house and they managed to survive. Fur lined clothing might save on having to keep the wood stove running as much.

You can tell when it's wintertime around here. We occasionally shut the doors or windows to keep out the cold instead of just rain. And we break out the socks and a flannel shirt or two. We also have the electric blanket plugged in. So, it's officially in the deep dark of winter. It also goes dark from about 6:30 pm to about 6:00 am, so that's our long dark nights, too. Doesn't change much over the year, though, summer it gets an hour or two more daylight, but not as much as some places on the mainland manage.

Aren't there wood stoves available over in HOVE? Someone said a store there sold them.
Yes, the Ace Hardware store has some small ones for sale.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:52 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,282,234 times
When I woke up this morning, it was -2 degrees. Now that it's mid afternoon, it warmed up to a whopping +3 degrees with a wind chill of -12. But sometimes the lows can be -20 or colder with highs of about -5, and wind chills as cold as about -60 degrees. Sunrise in the winter is about 7:30 AM and its dark by 4:30 PM. So, I feel your pain.

If you're dependent on exclusively wood heat, and live in a cold climate, you should scale up your wood heating system. I know a guy in Minnesota who only heats with wood and has been doing so for about 20 years. He has a large outbuilding wood stove. The wood stove is large enough to heat three homes and has a wood auto feeder. The wood stove heats up water, which is piped underground to his house. The house is heated with radiant heat from the hot water. His system is large enough that he thought about melting the snow and ice from his driveway with the system. He has a wooded 30 acre lot, so there's an endless supply of wood. However, he buys scrap wood since its easier than cutting, splitting, stacking, and drying the wood.

I prefer to use a high efficiency natural gas furnace to heat my home, even though I could set up a wood burning system. Heating with wood is a hassle. Heating with wood generates a lot of air pollution too. I think it's a lot easier to heat your home using a cleaner method than wood, although its more expensive. If you invest in educating yourself in a higher paying career, you can afford to heat your home using clean heat instead of wood heat.

Last edited by davephan; 12-30-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 02:58 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,480,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
If you're dependent on exclusively wood heat, and live in a cold climate...
This is the Hawai'i forum, so most of what you wrote does not apply here.

We don't have that kind of cold in Hawai'i, nor do we have natural gas, and propane is gawdawful expensive and inconvenient to deal with. Fortunately we're talking about woodstoves for occasional use to take off the chill on cold rainy nights. And firewood for stoves is cheap, especially in the Puna area, with its proximity to so many forest areas, and lots of people looking to pick up a few bucks by harvesting it and delivering it.

According to the US Census woodstoves and fireplaces are the most popular heating source in Volcano, which is at about 4,000' altitude. And despite the occasional dip to the 30s at night, during the winter, another 1/3 of the residents have no heating system at all. As Hotzcatz said, electric blankets are efficient and effective.

But it's well advised to have a good windbreaker with you when you go to view the lava lake at Kilauea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island