Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 12:27 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,243 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are coming from Maui, looking to spend a week on the big island. We're on a budget so we're looking at our options. A car is pretty much a must (can someone recommend good discount car rental companies?), and if we could just stay in our car we'd be happy enough. Just wondering if it's doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 12:48 PM

83 posts, read 128,553 times
rentalcars.com had the best price I could find.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:07 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
discounthawaiicarrental.com

There are a couple of safe campgrounds with flush toilets and showers. One at Spencer Beach Park (near Kawaihae) and one at Ho'okena (south of Kona). I would assume that you could sleep in your car at both. There are two campgrounds in the Volcano National Park, but I think they have pit toilets.

Old 01-11-2015, 01:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post

There are a couple of safe campgrounds with flush toilets and showers. One at Spencer Beach Park (near Kawaihae) and one at Ho'okena (south of Kona). I would assume that you could sleep in your car at both. There are two campgrounds in the Volcano National Park, but I think they have pit toilets.
I'd be very surprised you can sleep in your car in any Hawaii campground. It is expressly against the law to sleep in your car from 6pm to 6am on public roadways (HRC Title 17 291C-112) and although it makes exceptions for campgrounds, I don't see why a campground would allow that.

A hostel at $25/night would be a much better option than attempting to sleep in a car.

Hawaii Accommodations Guide - Vacation Rentals by Hawaiian Island

Edited to add - you definitely can't sleep in your car at a Hawaii State Park:

"Sleeping in vehicles in our campground parking lots is therefore not allowed."

http://www.hawaiistateparks.org/camping/

Old 01-11-2015, 05:22 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Spencer Beach Park is a COUNTY park, not a STATE park, so the STATE rules don't apply. OP can look up the COUNTY park rules on-line.

Ho'okena is also a County park, but interestingly enough the County has transferred management of the park to a group called Friends of Ho'okena Beach Park. It has certainly been cleaned up a lot since then.

Check out Arnott's Lodge for cheap accommodations near Hilo and Manago Hotel in Captain Cook (south of Kona). Both are cheap and clean.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Spencer Beach Park is a COUNTY park, not a STATE park, so the STATE rules don't apply. OP can look up the COUNTY park rules on-line.
THANK YOU!

Although I don't remember saying Spencer Beach Park is a STATE park.

I can tell you this about COUNTY park rules:

Camping within 25 feet of a main road is prohibited. Camping is allowed in designated areas only.

https://hawaiicounty.ehawaii.gov/cam...ils,57797.html

Lastly, a COUNTY rule can always be superseded by a STATE rule if the STATE chooses to do so.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,426,027 times
Most of the available Big Island camping is subject to the county reservation system. Buy a tent at Sports Authority, donate it to charity when you leave, but be sure you have a permit to camp...

https://hawaiicounty.ehawaii.gov/cam...E97ACFCFC.lana

Old 01-12-2015, 09:50 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Another option might be to rent one of the VW camper vans. I have been seeing these all over the island lately.
Link: Volkswagen Westfalia Camper/Motorhome Rentals in Hawaii

Old 01-12-2015, 07:11 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
Laupahoehoe has some good tent camping sites. Bring a pop up tent and enjoy. You need a permit for camping there, but you can do that online and it's not all that expensive. Laupahoehoe is a beach park, although the "beach" is a rocky ocean access. But it's really scenic and safe. There are several tent camping sites with water, bathrooms, fire/grill areas and some electrical connections.

Kalopa has some higher elevation camping with hiking in the forest. Cooler elevation, pack something warm. There are some bathrooms/water/electric although I don't know if that's just in the pavilion area or in the camp site area, too. In any case, they are pretty close to each other if the pavilion is the only electrical outlet. You could pop over there occasionally to charge up phones and such. They also have some cabins that can be rented if you don't want to tent camp.

Spencer is nice, has a sandy beach and some camping areas, although it is probably busier than the first two. I think it is just tent camping with no cabins, but I've not really looked. Hapuna has some cabins to rent, although last time I was there (several decades ago) the sleeping areas were extremely hard and you provided your own bedding. Maybe it's changed since then. Hapuna has a really lovely beach. Not sure if they have tent camping there, though.

Personally, I'd not recommend Isaac Hale or Kolekole for camping. Don't like the vibes there.

There is another higher elevation campground up near Volcano. Might be a nice staging area for visiting the park, great for bird watching and star gazing but it will probably be really cold, so pack warm things. http://www.hawaiivolcanohouse.com/cabins-campsites/

Old 01-12-2015, 07:32 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,504,243 times
Thanks all for the recommendations.

We're just looking for the most affordable (and legal) way to experience the big island for our first time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island