Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Catchment water - toxic killer or delicious goodness?
A) I do not consume catchment water and I do not use where it can be ingested, like showering and brushing teeth. 3 18.75%
B) I do not consume catchment water but I do use it for brushing teeth, washing hands and showering. 7 43.75%
C) I normally don't drink catchment water but will on occasion. 0 0%
D) I drink catchment water on a regular basis, and I'm still alive! 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 07:52 PM

268 posts, read 383,105 times

Advertisements

I've been on this and another forum for a few months, soaking in the knowledge, dreaming about moving to the BI someday and working through a plan (big and small details).

There's been much discussion around every aspect of catchment water and initially I assumed everyone drank this water. After spending time here it seems a fair number do not. Now I should disclose I'm a mid-level Germaphobe, so at first the thought of drinking it didn't sit to well with me. I'm slowly warming up to the idea and have imagined a system that may pass my mental block of drinking it. But that will go in another thread.

I'd like to hear from the people who only have catchment water (or did in the past); where do you draw the line at catchment consumption? I'd really like this to just be a thread to gather information, not a raging debate over should you/shouldn't you.

If you could be so kind as to take the poll and if possible, briefly describe your catchment system.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:11 PM

83 posts, read 128,681 times
Can't wait to see how this turns out since catchment water is in my near future.
Mahalo

Old 01-17-2015, 08:29 PM

181 posts, read 585,872 times
Wait a minute. I don't think anyone drinks or even uses catchment water "straight".

Everyone has at least one or two filter systems between the tank and the inside house plumbing. Plus most people dump bleach directly into the tank to keep the water clean. This "bleached" water then goes through some kind of filter before any one would think of even showering with it. As far as drinking it goes, many people have one of those filter pitchers in their frig that they drink out of.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagary View Post
Wait a minute. I don't think anyone drinks or even uses catchment water "straight".

Everyone has at least one or two filter systems between the tank and the inside house plumbing. Plus most people dump bleach directly into the tank to keep the water clean. This "bleached" water then goes through some kind of filter before any one would think of even showering with it. As far as drinking it goes, many people have one of those filter pitchers in their frig that they drink out of.
I didn't say anyone drank it straight. I guess I could have added something in the choices about filtered water but that is why I asked people to describe how their system is set up. I didn't want this to be complicated - just want to know who drinks their catchment water and how they filter it (if they do).

Old 01-17-2015, 09:35 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,576,379 times
Years ago I sold water systems. We have thousand of rural homes that use rainwater they catch and store in cisterns in this area. I am assuming the water that you are talking about is rainwater. There are two different hazards in using and drinking rainwater.

Firstly and most importantly are, "Germs" or biological hazards. Now I see some people here put bleach in the water. That is about the poorest solution there is. The easiest and most economical way is to install an ultraviolet system on the main feed coming out of the storage. That kills everything alive in the water. Now here in this area we have a lot of industry and pollution of all sorts. The best solution and again the lowest cost solution is a large whole house Carbon filter that is installed downline from the UV system. You never ever want bio contaminated water in ANY FILTER. If you buy one that can be backwashed the filter media will last decades. Even though those two systems supply really good water a lot of my customers would also want a reverse osmosis system for their drinking and cooking purposes. That is a bit of an overkill but guarantees pretty much distilled grade water when combined with the other two systems.

I have tested people's water that just put chlorine in the tank as a treatment and found the water to be totally contaminated with bacteria.
It's a poor solution for many reasons. If you have ever had a pool than you know just how long the chlorine lasts. One of my friend's kids nearly died from a bacterial infection via a cistern that he treated periodically with bleach. However when you have your big carbon filter I would treat my storage tank a few times per year with chlorine just to keep it clean. The carbon filter will remove the chlorine. I would also keep my gutters and roof relatively clean if the water is gathered that way. Bird poop is nasty.

Old 01-18-2015, 09:45 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
OH, gack!! What a terrible poll! Toxic killer? Talk about biasing possible reactions! A third of the residents of the Big Island depend on rainwater catchment for their residential water supply.

Properly managed, following the recommendations of the CTAHR Rainwater Catchment Manual,
free download here, http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/RM-12.pdf
your catchment water can be safer and more pure than the average well water. Even bottled water typically has higher bacterial counts.

If you're really all that germophophic, then you probably should not move to Hawai'i at all, because the water is perhaps the least of your worries.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:53 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
My family and I have been drinking our catchment water for over 7 months now. Standard set up-UV-particulate with a cup or two of bleach per month. The drinking water also goes through a Britta just for fun.
After reading about the woman whose decomposing body was pulled from the water-tank of an LA hotel last year, I have no qualms about handling my own water.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
OH, gack!! What a terrible poll! Toxic killer? Talk about biasing possible reactions! A third of the residents of the Big Island depend on rainwater catchment for their residential water supply.

Properly managed, following the recommendations of the CTAHR Rainwater Catchment Manual,
free download here, http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/RM-12.pdf
your catchment water can be safer and more pure than the average well water. Even bottled water typically has higher bacterial counts.

If you're really all that germophophic, then you probably should not move to Hawai'i at all, because the water is perhaps the least of your worries.
It was a tongue-in-cheek attempt at humor and to try and lighten up the conversation, as past posts on this subject have gotten, testy... I guess my communication skills aren't up to the task of conveying that. Sorry if I offended anyone.

On that note, has anyone found Waldo yet? Hint, he's somewhere on the other post I started at the same time as this one.

BTW - While I am a little germaphobic, if catchment water were the only thing between me and moving to Hawaii it would not be a barrier. It's just a mental thing and I can get past it. Just helps to plan it out, talk about it and hear from others already doing it.

Thanks to everyone who has participated in the poll! It's anonymous so please pick one even if you don't want to comment.

Old 01-22-2015, 02:05 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Default Drinking Rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
It's just a mental thing and I can get past it. Just helps to plan it out, talk about it and hear from others already doing it.
Yes, clearly it's just a mental thing!

So why mess up your own mind and that of others with all the negative talk and paranoid attitude? When you panic others will stress up as a result. Even just joking around, I think you spread the unreasonable concern you have to others, when is in't any logical rationale for it at all.

To start untangling your thinking, let's start with terminology. Use something more empowering, like the label which is used in many other parts of the US where Rainwater Harvesting is also common, particularly in the rural Southwest. Yep, that's the terminology used. Rainwater. Harvesting. This thread could easily have been titled Drinking Rainwater, which is considerably nicer sounding, don't you think? And clearly less worrying.

One of the treats for tourists at Volcanoes National Park are the free rainwater filling stations for water bottles and canteens there at the Kilauea overlook. It's so pure, so delicious, everybody loves it!

And it comes down out of the sky for free! How magical! And all you have to do is a few very simple things to ensure it stays that pure once it has fallen from the sky.

Got it?

Old 01-22-2015, 08:42 AM
Due

245 posts, read 380,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yes, clearly it's just a mental thing!

So why mess up your own mind and that of others with all the negative talk and paranoid attitude? When you panic others will stress up as a result. Even just joking around, I think you spread the unreasonable concern you have to others, when is in't any logical rationale for it at all.

To start untangling your thinking, let's start with terminology. Use something more empowering, like the label which is used in many other parts of the US where Rainwater Harvesting is also common, particularly in the rural Southwest. Yep, that's the terminology used. Rainwater. Harvesting. This thread could easily have been titled Drinking Rainwater, which is considerably nicer sounding, don't you think? And clearly less worrying.

One of the treats for tourists at Volcanoes National Park are the free rainwater filling stations for water bottles and canteens there at the Kilauea overlook. It's so pure, so delicious, everybody loves it!

And it comes down out of the sky for free! How magical! And all you have to do is a few very simple things to ensure it stays that pure once it has fallen from the sky.

Got it?
I agree OpenD.

During my youth, I drank Rainwater harvested by my grandfather's (and other Central Texas farmers) cistern. Best tasting water ever and it was free. Never got sick from it (or the raw cow's milk).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island