Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 02:09 PM

48 posts, read 61,977 times

Advertisements

I know the kona beaches are the most appealing for many, but are there any east side beaches that are swimmable? It seems most of the east side is more rocky cliffs or not really child friendly are there any exceptions? Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 08:14 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 838454 View Post
I know the kona beaches are the most appealing for many, but are there any east side beaches that are swimmable? It seems most of the east side is more rocky cliffs or not really child friendly are there any exceptions? Mahalo
I am only familiar with one (though I'm sure others know of more). Punalu'u is usually swimable, though it is pretty much Southern end of the East side.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:13 PM

74 posts, read 74,178 times
Hilo Bay has several swimmable parts and a couple of calm lagoons on the south side, but not much sand. Kehana black sand beach is usually too rough and has that "clothing optional" issue. Kapoho tide pools are calm, but rocky. The rest is rocky and rough - no good for swimming.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:58 PM

34 posts, read 51,181 times
If you mean "East" as in Hilo, then you may want to try Richardson Beach Park. I think that's what it's called? Anyway, it's crazy crowded on the weekends, but I've been during the week and it was fine, with plenty of places to park.

You can certainly swim at the Kapoho tide pools-- just remember to shower-- with soap!-- afterward since there's the issue with high bacteria count from the nearby residential cess pools. Some people have a real problem with this and refuse to swim there. I don't think it's a big deal. Be sure you have no open cuts and don't swallow any water. The snorkeling at Waiopae ponds is beautiful! I LOVED it there. Oh-- and definitely wear water shoes at Waiopae, as you have to walk across the lava to get in the water. Be careful-- it's very easy to get a scrape on the lava. Because of this, IMO it's a terrible place for kids. The last time I was there, there were people taking their toddlers out - barefoot. This little one was standing on the lava bawling with a cut on her shin. Her dad was in the water and trying to pull her in. Horrible plan, with the bacteria issues. Beyond all that, though, the snorkeling was beautiful. Definitely my favorite tide pool for snorkeling on the east side. No amenities, no showers here.

A lot of people love to swim at Ahalanui Beach Park. It's a hot pond with man-made features. Personally, I found it a little too warm for swimming. However, I know people for whom Ahalanui is their main swimming hole. There's a lifeguard on duty and the park itself is beautiful, with plenty of picnic tables and some charcoal grills. There are very good showers for rinsing off-- much better than the ones at Richardson. It can get crowded-- so show up early if you want to snag a grill. We had lunch there last time. Really--- beautiful park!

For swimming only (no amenities), you would probably enjoy Champagne Pond. You have to drive across some serious lava-- so you'll need a Jeep or such. Even with our Jeep last time, I kinda wish we had just parked and walked the mile in. Once you get there, the swimming is awesome. It is warm, but not too warm like Ahalanui. Also, the swimming area is more expansive. In the late afternoon, it's not crowded. Just be sure you leave in time to trek back across the lava before dark. It will be pitch black if you don't.

I've never been to Kehena Beach, so I can't comment on that. I only know there's more surf there and about the clothing optional thing. I've been wanting to go to the Sunday drum circle there-- an experience beyond swimming and the nudies.

I hope this helps!

Old 02-10-2015, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. It seems there aren't too any sand beaches on the Hilo side, I imagine the beach by waipio valley would be nice

Old 02-10-2015, 12:21 PM

189 posts, read 260,665 times
My personal favorite is Carlsmith. If you want to swim these beaches in hilo area are far better than most Kona side beach. They are lagoons protected from the waves and usually you will see lots of sea live there. There are not strong currents here. The water is so clear you can snorkel without the gear. There is no sand but you can sit on the grass like everyone else.
The Waipio beach is nice but unprotected so you need to be a good swimmer. If you walk down make sure you are fit so you can walk that 1 mile on 28% grade back up.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:42 PM

Mark.ca, that looks like a great park/beach good call!

Old 02-10-2015, 11:20 PM

189 posts, read 260,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPearls View Post
For swimming only (no amenities), you would probably enjoy Champagne Pond. You have to drive across some serious lava-- so you'll need a Jeep or such. Even with our Jeep last time, I kinda wish we had just parked and walked the mile in. Once you get there, the swimming is awesome. It is warm, but not too warm like Ahalanui. Also, the swimming area is more expansive. In the late afternoon, it's not crowded. Just be sure you leave in time to trek back across the lava before dark. It will be pitch black if you don't.
If you mentioned the Waiopae health issues you could have mentioned them for Champagne Pond...it is the same setup with houses on cesspools close to the pond or the tide pools. For some reason people seem to bash one and forget the other. Most people i saw there did not drive on the lava, they parked just like me at the gate of Kapoho Beach subdivision (end of Kapoho Beach Rd.) and walked through the pedestrian gate.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:13 AM

34 posts, read 51,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.ca View Post
If you mentioned the Waiopae health issues you could have mentioned them for Champagne Pond...it is the same setup with houses on cesspools close to the pond or the tide pools. For some reason people seem to bash one and forget the other. Most people i saw there did not drive on the lava, they parked just like me at the gate of Kapoho Beach subdivision (end of Kapoho Beach Rd.) and walked through the pedestrian gate.
Yes, the health issues are for ALL of the tidepools near Kapoho near residential areas. This was implied but not stated. I certainly wasn't picking on Waiopae, just noting that the lava there creates a greater risk of incurring a scrape, something you don't want when entering the pond.

As far as parking outside the subdivision and walking through the pedestrian gate, this is considered trespassing unless you are a resident, the guest of a resident, or paying for one of the vacation rentals. The KBCA does NOT want tourists using the subdivision as a pass-through to the ponds. For anyone who doesn't fall into the aforementioned categories, you must park at the end of Kapoho Road near Cape Kumukahi and walk in across the lava, OR drive across the lava.
Kapoho Beach Lots - Home

Old 03-13-2015, 02:31 AM

95 posts, read 129,713 times
Aloha,

You are correct, there is not a vast amount of beaches on the east side. However that doesn't stop my kids from having a great time and swimming. However there are precautions to take. The rocks are typically very sharp, so water shoes are very important. Both my children are young. My youngest is not yet a swimmer, and my oldest is not a strong swimmer. None of these locations require any special swimming skills. I do however provide my children floating devices. As mentioned, the upside to these ocean ponds is the lack of waves. Sure, beaches are fun... but so is just playing in the water. You can find some sand at Onekahakaha, but my kids generally don't mess with it.. as they are more attracted to the "biggest pool in the world".

Here are the places that we tend to enjoy the most:
1. Onekahakaha or any of the ocean/beach parks along Kalanianaole St in Hilo
2. Reeds Bay Beach Park
3. Coconut Island
4.Waiopae (Kapoho) - Please when walking in from the parking area, respect residents and their property.
5. Ahalanui Park (we spend the bulk of our time here, the kids love it!)
6. Punalu'u Black Sand Beach

We often drive to the other side of the island to enjoy more traditional beaches. The drive is never unreasonable to us. We often go to Puako or Kekaha Kai (Kona Coast State Park).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: