Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:54 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I think the missionaries are staying out of this, they have no position....
What about the missionary position?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 06:02 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post

Old 03-24-2015, 06:03 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Think OUTSIDE the shell. That's what the honu do

Old 03-24-2015, 11:24 PM

308 posts, read 410,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I hope you're not prudish. I don't know if this sort of behavior occurs on a regular basis over Bigger Island way, but, quite frankly, I was witness to some rather shockingly indecent behavior off the south Maui coast just this morning. While out paddling off of the Mana Kai, just south of Kama'ole Beach 3, I saw a couple, pretty sure it was a local couple, in waters relatively close to shore, (well within sight of anyone onshore), HAVING SEX!!! (for Gods sake, hide the children). Needless to say, I WAS SHOCKED!!!!! To make matters worse, on my return trip to Kama'ole 1, I saw another couple, (locals, once again, I believe), ENGAGED IN THE SAME INDECENT ACTIVITY, AND VERY CLOSE TO SHORE!!!!!!!

Where are the missionaries when you REALLY need one

forgot to mention, it was a couple of turtles. BUT NONE THE LESS
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Thanks for a good reason to laugh out loud :-). LOVE it!

Old 03-24-2015, 11:25 PM

308 posts, read 410,421 times
You guys are a hoot! Made my evening. Thanks for the smiles :-).

Old 03-25-2015, 01:09 AM

133 posts, read 182,410 times
++1

This is how I see it. I've written on the boards about how people now are extremely mobile. It's not uncommon for people to live in a place for a few years and bounce around. Especially when you are in your 20s and 30s. Sure, it may cost you money but, you are gaining a lot in experience and life.

The other thing is that many of the active posters here seem to be older. So, their perspective in careers, savings, wealth, moving, etc. are very different (as they should be).

If you're young, are healthy (emotionally, physically and financially) and want to go for an adventure. Go for it. It's prudent to save for the future but, you shouldn't forgo 'dreams' for your senior years. How depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Some people move to Hawaii and move back to the mainland for no reason whatsoever other than they lived an adventure that ran its course. There is no rule that says if you move somewhere you have to die there or it means the move was a mistake. Life is an adventure, and it would be a shame to limit yourself by spending it all in one or two places. When I moved to Alaska I loved it so much there I just assumed I would die there. But after 15 years the adventure had ran its course. So now I live in Hawaii thinking I will die here. Maybe I will. I'm certainly 15 years closer to the grave than I was when I showed up in Alaska. But maybe there is more adventure in me than there is in Hawaii. Time will tell. But for now I'm happy and content here.

Good luck, and happy travels, wherever they take you.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:34 AM

14 posts, read 18,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I agree with Due that the Big Island is a beautiful place to live, and there's plenty of things to do. I don't think I'd ever be bored there.
"Thinking" and experiencing are two different things. Do you think we moved here thinking, "oh, let's move to Hawaii and be bored silly". No, but that is our experience. Been there, done that, etc. There's only so many places to go and see and do on an ISLAND.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:58 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashawill View Post
"Thinking" and experiencing are two different things. Do you think we moved here thinking, "oh, let's move to Hawaii and be bored silly". No, but that is our experience. Been there, done that, etc. There's only so many places to go and see and do on an ISLAND.
Sure. but it is surrounded by the OCEAN. Get out there. You won't be bored. Gnawed on perhaps, but bored, no.

Just look out for the killer opihi

Old 03-25-2015, 11:35 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Sure. but it is surrounded by the OCEAN. Get out there. You won't be bored. Gnawed on perhaps, but bored, no.

Just look out for the killer opihi
JJ, so first we had to worry about being gnawed by Cannibals now you are saying the waters aren't safe either?
Agreed though, the ocean adds numerous activity opportunities.

I would say, anyone contemplating a move should ask themselves this, wherever you currently reside, could you be content if your travels and opportunities for entertainment were confined to about a 100 mile radius? This is what we asked ourselves prior to moving. We realized that we didn't take long road-trips and most weekends we kept within about a 20 mile radius.
it is something you shouldn't take lightly though as island fever can be tough. But then again, it isn't particular to just Hawaii. I grew up in an Alaskan village with 5 miles of paved roads and the only way out was a 500 mile flight to Anchorage.
I'll take island fever over village fever any day.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:54 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
Quote:
I need to go hang my laundry out to dry and wash my dishes by hand because I can't afford to run my clothes dryer or dishwasher because I'm trying to save money for a ticket out of this hell hole.
I would not be willing to hang laundry out to dry and wash dishes by hand. I grew up that way. My family tried to save money by doing those types of things. I find it's much more effective to put the energy and effort into educating myself to be able to earn a high income salary. At the same time, I live well below my means. However, I do make exceptions and I am willing to pay extra for certain things in life. I grew up wearing stiff clothing that was line dried. As an adult, I would never put up with that compromise just to save a tiny amount of money. Same thing goes for washing dishes. That's what a dishwashing machine was invented to do, that's why people own dishwashing machines. When it snows more than an inch here, I have the snow removed for me. It's not cheap for that service, but it improves my quality of life and helps me cope with Minnesota winters. It's much easier to work a few days of overtime and then pay for the snow removal service for the whole winter, and avoid suffering outside in the rotten cold weather.

Quote:
I think that depends on the person. When I was growing up we learned very quickly to never, ever, say we were bored, even if we were bored as children. If we said we were bored, my parents would give me jobs around the home to do. I quickly learned to never say "I'm bored". Beyond that, I'm not the type of person that bores easily. I always have lots of things to do. I have lots of hobbies. I always have lots of books to read, and never enough time to do more than a tiny fraction of what I want to do. I don't go to expensive concerts or sports games and don't hang out at bars. I drive past areas from time to time where homeless people are located. They hang out on street corners doing nothing all day. To me, that would be boring. Doing nothing with their lives, just marking time, just waiting to die. I like to stay at home most of the time. I am very happy working in the gardens, outside from morning till dark. My favorite time of the year is summer. I absolutely hate winters. Although, if I couldn't afford to live elsewhere, and didn't have to work, I could hunker down inside all winter keeping busy, and I wouldn't be bored. Although, I would get 'cabin fever'.

I only plan to work a few more years. After that, I may try living in Hawaii. If we didn't like it for some reason, no problem. We just move somewhere else. It's not a question of 'Can we afford it?', it's a question 'Is it the right place for us?' Saving a lot of money over the decades gives us that freedom. Living debt free dramatically improves our lives, eliminating economic stress.

In your situation, it sounds like you are in a great deal of economic stress, not really boredom. This can happen if you live in a high cost area that you cannot afford. Compounding the problem is the typical low wages and no benefits jobs that are common there. Those economic issues can be overcome by relocating to a lower cost of living location, and by increasing your earnings. Increasing your earnings isn't easy. It requires sacrifices in your life, to improve your life. You are lucky you do not live in a communist country where your freedoms are limited. Then you would live a miserable life in poverty with no way out. Most people are capable of achieving things they never thought they could do. Most people's futures are limited by themselves. In America, you have the freedom to improve your quality of life, which is what you should do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island