Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 02:29 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times

Advertisements

One thing that makes me laugh about be the dreamer and encouraging folks to throw responsibility out of window and mortgage your future is this: If you aren't happy in your current situation - then just running away from a situation isn't likely to make you any happier, just more broke. One needs to assess why they are so unhappy in the situation they are in and address that (hint, weather is a lame excuse - there is more to life than weather - and a lot of places in the continental US provide great weather - running away to an isolated island in the Pacific is simply running away).

Get your current life in order first and then things can fall into place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 08:51 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
People who come here are either running from something or they are running towards something. They may not be unhappy where they are. I've moved around in my lifetime and being unhappy was never a motivator. But I have witnessed first hand that sometimes to "get your current life in order" requires running towards something.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:53 PM

308 posts, read 410,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
People who come here are either running from something or they are running towards something. They may not be unhappy where they are. I've moved around in my lifetime and being unhappy was never a motivator. But I have witnessed first hand that sometimes to "get your current life in order" requires running towards something.
Truth!

I LOVE living here on the coast in Oregon. But I still want to try Hawaii. New adventures, a climate I'm sure I'd love, the opportunity to grow things there that I can't, here, and that thing about being surrounded by ocean. I LOVE that thought! If/when we ever relocate to Hawaii, it will be because we want to run to new experiences, there, not from our experiences, here. Very insightful, terracore. I'm glad you took the time to put that into words.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:41 AM

28 posts, read 35,167 times
I agree with the above two. We are unsatisfied where we are and moving to HI this summer. Anyone who makes a move of any kind is unsatisfied with their current situation on some level, even if you are just moving across town. And you move because something better or more suited to your situation came along. Is it running away if I move from pittsburgh to Indianapolis for a better job? is it running away to move from Austin to Maine because I'm allergic to cedar trees? From Billings to Pheonix because I like the weather better?

And is it really so bad to move for your dreams? NYC and LA are also expensive and don't work out for many people, however you won't know until you try. As someone pointed out earlier, moving back after a few years isn't the same as never should have come in the first place.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:17 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,755,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
One thing that makes me laugh about be the dreamer and encouraging folks to throw responsibility out of window and mortgage your future is this: If you aren't happy in your current situation - then just running away from a situation isn't likely to make you any happier, just more broke. One needs to assess why they are so unhappy in the situation they are in and address that (hint, weather is a lame excuse - there is more to life than weather - and a lot of places in the continental US provide great weather - running away to an isolated island in the Pacific is simply running away).

Get your current life in order first and then things can fall into place.
Gee who did you cocaroach that one from? Don't ever hear anyone telling anyone to be irresponsible? Stop worrying about others passions and what not and find your own. Let dreamers dream with a plan.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:48 PM

34 posts, read 51,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
One needs to assess why they are so unhappy in the situation they are in and address that (hint, weather is a lame excuse - there is more to life than weather - and a lot of places in the continental US provide great weather - running away to an isolated island in the Pacific is simply running away).
Says he who recently told us in another thread how he ran away from Portland back to Hawaii because he hated the weather.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:16 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPearls View Post
Says he who recently told us in another thread how he ran away from Portland back to Hawaii because he hated the weather.
But, otherwise happy.

Which was my point.

Quite frankly, if not for my wife and property we have here - Hawaii would not be in my top 10 places to move to based on weather - San Francisco or San Diego offer far superior weather in my opinion.

For most people on the mainland, Hawaii isn't particular appealing to live full-time.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:07 PM

Well, I'm with you Viper on the San Diego point. And it seems true that most mainlanders think living in Hawaii would be too limiting, too expensive, and not worth it. They are probably right in assessing their own situations. However, there are those "dreamers" who make it work and are glad they did so. (And I hope you make it to San Diego one day, Viper!)

So to the OP: The fact that you only bring in $47K a year and still manage to save as much as you do (even considering the low cost of living in your current town) is impressive. Years ago when I was young and single, I remember making $35K a year and thinking I was poor, always scrambling to make more. I wasn't even saving the way you are. It's all relative. Clearly you are one FRUGAL couple; from the advice of those in this forum, frugality is crucial for your success in Hawaii.

Some of the posters above have intimated that it's not the end of the world if you, at your young age, take the risk and find out in a few years it isn't working out for you in Hawaii. I agree. If I could go back to my early twenties, I would be far more adventurous. When I was 25, I missed an opportunity to spend a year working for a media outlet in Grand Cayman, because I was too scared to take the risk. I didn't want to be so far from family and I was afraid to leave my secure job behind. I know now that life is full of risks, taking new jobs are worth the risk if only for experience, and I'm quite successful in spite of setbacks I've had in life. (One of those setbacks was devastating at the time.) And I never got an opportunity quite like that again. I tell this to my 24-year-old stepson all the time. He's a scaredy-cat. Even though we've explained we're here to help if he fails, he won't take risks to have great experiences. And he's not happy where he is.

Hawaii isn't for everyone, but there's no denying that the quality of life there ranks extremely high. You'll never know if it's for you unless you try. Kudos to you for being cautious and adventurous at the same time. You will love the Big Island. It's my favorite.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:30 PM

14 posts, read 18,714 times
TwoPearls, Do you or have you ever LIVED in Hawaii??

Old 03-28-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashawill View Post
TwoPearls, Do you or have you ever LIVED in Hawaii??
NO. I own property on the Big Island. We spend extended periods of time there each year, staying in different areas. I never claim that this is anything like living there. So let me cut you off before you jump on my advice, which was general, take-life-by-the-bullhorns counsel-- NOT "Hawaii is the greatest place to live and everyone should go" advice.

The OP has made clear his plans for work and demonstrated ability to live frugally. You've made clear that you struggle financially and can't wait to get out of your Hawaii "hellhole," but there are plenty who live there full-time who do not have your same experience. It's a shame that your Hawaii life was financially taxing, and that this is the case with many, leaving you with a sour experience. My response was for the OP and his potential experience as a money-savvy guy during relatively care-free years. It may work, it may not. He'll never know unless he tries. He's getting plenty of advice from different viewpoints, both negative and positive. I'm sure both are helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island