Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 05:12 PM

308 posts, read 410,421 times

Advertisements

We're now in the serious planning stage of our vacation to Hawaii this winter. I've read this forum's posts in the Big Island section from back to front, and yet I can't get a good idea of specifics in the area of temps. Not from the maps online, either, because so many of them show areas, without giving place names.

So, specifically, my husband and I are hoping to find a place to stay for 2 weeks in an area where the daytime temperatures are somewhere between 60 and 75 degrees, fahrenheit. I'm fairly sure that such places exist, there, and that there are probably vacation rentals (vrbo, not large hotels) to be found--if only I knew where to look.

The only place I've found that I'm fairly certain would fit our criteria are around Volcano. Are there other places that would fit our needs? Anywhere in the Puna district? North of Hilo? Hawi (my daughter seems to think I'd find Hawi too hot to be comfortable). We'd like to be able to rent a vrbo in an area where we would be comfortable, and use it as our "base of operations" for exploring (in a rented Jeep, most likely) the rest of what the island has to offer in many climate zones.

Neither my husband nor I can stand very high temps (80+) on an all day, everyday basis (one of the reasons we love the central Oregon coast--it's cool, here, most of the time). Lush landscapes are highly desired, if it's possible to find trees and nice gardens in the cool zones. I am big on gardening and growing pretty flowers! Rain is not an issue, but neither of us like snow. We'll be using some of our time to see if we can handle the climate, there, with an eye to perhaps eventually purchasing a place, there.

Any suggestions of specific areas for us to consider will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 05:14 PM

Shoot! I thought I'd posted this in the Big Island section. I'm sorry, but I can't find a way to cancel it, here, and move it to that area. If a moderator would be kind enough to move it to the appropriate section, I'd be truly grateful.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:11 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Waimea/Kamuela should meet your temperature criteria in the winter.

Hawi is about 80 everyday in winter, so that won't meet the 75 high temperature threshold.

Last edited by whtviper1; 07-06-2015 at 07:54 PM..

Old 07-06-2015, 07:48 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
And keep in mind, that over here, whenever the temps dip below 70 degrees, in the daytime, people start kicking the bucket. Literally, a little exercise to stay warm. That's why you don't see many buckets in Kihei, but plenny up in Kula.

Hope this,,,,, uuuurrrrppp, scuze me, helps

Old 07-06-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Waimea/Kamuela should meet your temperature criteria in the winter.

Hawi is about 80 everyday in winter, so that won't meet the 75 high temperature threshold.

Thank you :-). Hawi is out, then. We'll start looking at available VRBOs in the Waimea/Kamuela area(s). I hope I'll hear of more areas to look, too. The more options, the better :-).

Old 07-06-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
And keep in mind, that over here, whenever the temps dip below 70 degrees, in the daytime, people start kicking the bucket. Literally, a little exercise to stay warm. That's why you don't see many buckets in Kihei, but plenny up in Kula.

Hope this,,,,, uuuurrrrppp, scuze me, helps
LOL! Always!

Old 07-06-2015, 10:35 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
You need elevation for coolness, so Volcano and Waimea would be the prime choices.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:33 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,254,535 times
Temperature's below 70. People put on the Down Jackets. Daty time Temps are generally in the 80's during the winter months. The higher in elevation, the cooler the temps at night.
I like the coolness at night, must be getting old.

Old 07-07-2015, 11:49 PM

I, too, like the coolness at night. And I AM old--which is better than the alternative :-). At what approximate elevation would one expect the evenings to be cool (50s to 60s), please? And is there anywhere on the Big Island that is habitable AND the temperatures hover at <75? OR, trade winds that keep a home and the environs comfortable? I'd really like to start inquiring on vrbo's website. So far, I've got Volcano and Waimea....

Old 07-08-2015, 12:24 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes_Mrs. Z View Post
And is there anywhere on the Big Island that is habitable AND the temperatures hover at <75? OR, trade winds that keep a home and the environs comfortable? So far, I've got Volcano and Waimea....
Volcano and Waimea is pretty much it.

You can't count on trade winds - you'd be beyond miserable so far this summer without AC blasting - we've had so many high temp records broken this summer - last summer was miserable - this summer, just as bad but started earlier in the season. You can only deal with the temp issue with elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island