Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:02 PM

1 posts, read 10,541 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying 6 acre agricultural land (fee simple, Zoning: A-5A, original Patent Kuleana land) with a friend but would want it divide it so that @ would get 3 acres so that, if needed, I can sell my part in the future. The realtor states that this cannot be subdivided so this may pose a problem. Is this correct? I thought fee simple mean that it is yours once you buy it and can do what you want as long as you don't break any laws.
Would appreciate your input and advise as to where to go to double check what the late & regulations are regarding this.

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 04:50 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuy4tien View Post
I'm thinking of buying 6 acre agricultural land (fee simple, Zoning: A-5A, original Patent Kuleana land) with a friend but would want it divide it so that @ would get 3 acres so that, if needed, I can sell my part in the future. The realtor states that this cannot be subdivided so this may pose a problem. Is this correct? I thought fee simple mean that it is yours once you buy it and can do what you want as long as you don't break any laws.
Would appreciate your input and advise as to where to go to double check what the late & regulations are regarding this.

Mahalo
The realtor is pretty much correct. Here's what the relevant section (Chapter 25-5-71) of the Hawaiʻi County Code says...
Quote:
Section 25-5-71. Designation of A districts.
Each A (agricultural) district shall be designated on the zoning map by the symbol “A” followed by a number together with the lower case letter “a” which indicates the required or minimum number of acres for each building site. For example, A-10a means an agricultural district with a minimum building site area of ten acres.
(1996, Ord. No. 96-160, sec. 2; ratified April 6, 1999.)
Since the zoning for that particular parcel is A-5A, the smallest allowable lot size is 5 acres. Of course, you can always attempt to get it rezoned; however, the fact that it is "patent kuleana" land might present a few obstacles. Here's a link to the "unofficial online version" of the Hawaiʻi County Code...
County of Hawaii - County Code

Old 07-29-2015, 06:24 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,662,406 times
Since you are looking at buying land in Hawaii, you should research what "fee simple" and "leasehold" mean because you will see both of these terms apply to property. Basically, with fee simple you own the land and with leasehold you have a lease on the land. The lease has a specific time after which it must be renewed, often at a higher rate. There have been discussions of these terms on this forum.

Regarding permitted uses, I always recommend to talk directly with the County Planning Office and not just go by a realtor's word.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:40 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Basically, with fee simple you own the land and with leasehold you have a lease on the land. The lease has a specific time after which it must be renewed, often at a higher rate.
And, with a leasehold you may not even get the option to renew - you just might have to walk away from the property empty handed.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:45 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,242 times
Fee simple is the only way to go, and look for property zoned AG-1, better chance to split.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:01 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
True, you can do what you want as long as you don't break any laws, however, the A-5A zoning is a law. That zoning only allows for the land to be made into five acre parcels at a minimum. Even if you bought 9.9 acres, you'd still not be able to subdivide unless you got the zoning changed. Which is NOT easy to do. However, if you get over 10 acres zoned A-5A, then you'd be able to subdivide although there's still some rules to follow for the sub-division process.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
True, you can do what you want as long as you don't break any laws, however, the A-5A zoning is a law. That zoning only allows for the land to be made into five acre parcels at a minimum. Even if you bought 9.9 acres, you'd still not be able to subdivide unless you got the zoning changed. Which is NOT easy to do. However, if you get over 10 acres zoned A-5A, then you'd be able to subdivide although there's still some rules to follow for the sub-division process.
Actually, based on a close reading of Chapter 25-5-71 of the Hawaiʻi County Code, the zoning should be designated as "A-5a" (with a lowercase "a"), instead of "A-5A." Otherwise, that's a good example of the limiting effect of "A-5a zoning" on parcels of varying sizes.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:02 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
That's what I get for cutting and pasting, I guess.

If the OP is looking for a three acre lot, Hawaiian Acres runs in three acre parcels, don't they? Non sub-dividable, though. But no restrictions from the sub, so they can be pig farmers if they want.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:18 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,242 times
Seems like the simple solution is buy side x side lots. Lots of those in Hawaiian Acres, Fern Acres.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
That's what I get for cutting and pasting, I guess.
Cutting and pasting? In my case, it was a "typo" that I didn't notice until I had my morning coffee.

Quote:
If the OP is looking for a three acre lot, Hawaiian Acres runs in three acre parcels, don't they? Non sub-dividable, though. But no restrictions from the sub, so they can be pig farmers if they want.
The majority of the lots in Hawaiian Acres are three acre parcels; however, a few are a little larger and a few are a little smaller, according to Hawaiian Acres Community Association's website...
Hawaiian Acres - History

To "double check" and get a rough idea of the zoning in various parts of the Big Island, one could always consult the County Planning Department's "zone maps"...
Zone Maps -- County of Hawaii Planning Department
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island