Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 07:10 PM

23 posts, read 26,521 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am coming to the big island in October and while I am there I am hoping to complete my PADI open water certification dives. I will likely do the referral program where I complete the classroom and pool dives here so that I can spend more time on diving while I am on the Big Island. Does anyone have any input on the local dive outfits on the Kona side? I hear the water is more clear over there, so that would be my preference for the dives.

I have looked a few up but would love to hear the local's perspective.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 10:29 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Kona Divers and Jack's Diving Locker are both good, I am sure there are plenty of others that are fine as well. I would suggest you contact one and see if you can get an instructor to do your check out dives as shore dives. No reason to pay the boat dive cost for what you can easily do from shore.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:06 PM

28 posts, read 35,167 times
Big Island Divers and Jack's Diving Locker are both great. I have been diving with both companies, and recently saw a friend through the process of getting certified with Jack's. They did a great job. Kona Honu Divers is SSI, not PADI.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:47 AM

8 posts, read 10,084 times
The West side , alee, is where you want to be diving. If you are staying north of Kona in one of the resorts or a VRBO, Kohala Divers in Kawaihae is our local dive shop. They are very nice, and the waters up here are generally more interesting than the southern sites. You could even learn to shore dive if you're here long enough.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:53 AM

23 posts, read 26,521 times
Awesome, thanks for all of the tips. I am diving with Jack's in two weeks. I will also be snorkeling as much as possible on this trip so I will be sure to check out the northern waters as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island