Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 08:08 AM

5 posts, read 10,420 times

Advertisements

I live in Woodbridge and am interested in learning to SCUBA dive. Any recommendations on who offers the best classes in NOVA, and/or the best dive shops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:10 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times
No experience with them, but I remember them from a local news story: Patriot Scuba Home Page

They're in Occoquan so very close to Woodbridge.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
I did all my certification in California, but I've used The Dive Shop at PanAm shopping center for equipment service a lot and have never had any complaints. The best thing to do is make sure whatever shop you have offers certification and has certified instructors. Common certifications include PADI, NAUI, TDI, SSI (there are others too, but those are the ones you see most I think).

There is an SSI dive shop in Woodbridge: Woodbridge SCUBA. The Dive Shop The Dive Shop - Northern Virginia is PADI.

Personally, most of my certification is Naui, so I have no preference between the two certifications listed above.

Have fun and be safe !

Old 05-23-2011, 09:05 AM

957 posts, read 2,021,351 times
I've dealt with and taken various classes with a handful of the shops around. Unfortunately, my experience is that the class is very dependent upon 1) the student's desire to learn and 2) the quality of the instructor. #2 is what you are asking about and I've noticed it has varied between instructors at the same shop. So, I would pick a shop that has a class schedule you like, I have not heard of a BAD shop in the area. In theory, the course work between shops with the same certification agency (PADI, or NAUI or SDI, etc) should be the same.

The other item that will affect your satisfaction is where you do your check-out dives. You can do it on a dive trip, or more commonly in one of the three area dive spots. Millbrook quary is the closest and most common, but probably least enjoyable. Other options that local dive shops use are Dutch Spings and Lake Rawlings, both usually involving camping at least one night. I would visit a few shops, get a feel for what you are comfortable with in terms of people and schedule and go from there.

Sorry to not have a specific recommendation, the few I deal with were all varying degrees of good.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:14 AM

957 posts, read 2,021,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I did all my certification in California, but I've used The Dive Shop at PanAm shopping center for equipment service a lot and have never had any complaints. The best thing to do is make sure whatever shop you have offers certification and has certified instructors. Common certifications include PADI, NAUI, TDI, SSI (there are others too, but those are the ones you see most I think).

There is an SSI dive shop in Woodbridge: Woodbridge SCUBA. The Dive Shop The Dive Shop - Northern Virginia is PADI.

Personally, most of my certification is Naui, so I have no preference between the two certifications listed above.

Have fun and be safe !
I was typing my reply when jillabean posted. Sorry for any duplicate information. When I did my Nitrox class at The Dive Shop jillabean posted, it was anSDI class, but I see they offer more PADI classes now. One think to consider, I don't think it matters too much what recognized agency you use, in terms of quality of work, but if you think you may continue to be interested in SCUBA, I recommend PADI because they are more common in this area, and if you choose to do advance certifications, it will be easier to stay with one certification agency. I'll probably have to redo the Nitrox class eventually if I want to use it as one of the specialties towards master scuba diver.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,800 times
As mentioned, most of the widely recognized organizations will teach you the same skills and requirements, but I'd also recommend going with the PADI organization. They've been by far the most common certification type in the places I've gone diving - parts of the US, Caribbean, and Red Sea.

I did my certifications with a PADI class (through the Scuba club at Virginia Tech), but have gone diving with a few people from other groups that were plenty competent. I would recommend finding a shop/group that will take the time to go through a full class with you, as opposed to one of those quick resort course/weekend certifications. If all of your dives go well, you should never have to use any of the emergency skills you learn during your courses; however, you want to be well trained to know that you and/or your buddy will know what to do should a situation arise.

No other real comments, other than I hope you enjoy the class! Scuba has been one of the best hobbies I've picked up, and I love to go every chance I get. It opens up a whole new world underwater.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:19 AM

63 posts, read 225,237 times
If you are in Woodbridge, drop by the Chinn Aquatics center. There are flyers in the information area about classes being taught at the pool. Last I saw, $500 a person. My wife and I thought about it as we vacation in Hawaii, but for two of us, it's about 1/4 of the cost of us going to Hawaii for a week, didn't pass our cost analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia