Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:44 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Vog is a problem almost all over the Big Island. In fact, it is usually worse in Kailua Kona than in Hilo, due to the direction of the trade winds and the fact that they eddy in Kona
Completely! MaryleeII's post was really misleading, as the VOG is WAY worse on Kona side.

Mary1780, you are correct in that you can request for an island but you cannot request for a particular location. And you are also correct in that each time you refuse a job, you get closer to being banned (and it can happen quickly). I've never worked with a recruiter, as I already lived on the island when I started teaching there, but I had made contact with a certain principal who searched out my application once I became eligible for hire (after applying and getting on the ventures interview list, and then getting on the eligible list). He then hired me before anyone else called me for an interview.

I agree with posters about talking with your doctor specifically about VOG. Is there a reason you want to live on Hawai'i island rather than a different island, which would get less VOG? I would think that heart issues may not be as impacted by VOG as lung issues would be, but I have no basis/education for that assumption!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 12:10 AM

14 posts, read 18,450 times
Thanks, GraceKrispy! That's just the info I was hoping to hear.

Yes, pollution is mostly a lung thing but strained lungs eventually make a strained heart-- it would be a lifespan issue for him, not an immediate concern. I never even thought about it until I saw the memo and starting researching it. UGH the internet! I have looked at the other islands but am more familiar with the big island and so much prefer it-- I'll do some more sleuthing though Thanks!

Old 08-15-2015, 11:02 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
I don't think I'd take the risk w/o substantive verified test results that would say yes, or no, that VOG would affect your son. It sure affected me, and I knew a lot of people that either had to leave the BI for the mainland, or move to another island due to health issues from VOG. That stuff is no joke, and yes, some people are more affected by it than others. The lungs and the heart are totally connected in many physiological ways. But that's just a partial view. Health is dependent on many, many intertwined connections and events. If only a few things go wrong in those connections, especially in someone that has a health issue, then it can have a domino effect and become a nightmare.

The VOG might not be so bad in an area you choose to live in, or the volcano might become more, or less, active over the course of time. It is not stable, or even predictable. It has been relatively stable for a long time, which means nothing really. The eruption could get much worse tomorrow, or it could stop.

I think the real question is: what if you moved there and the VOG made your son's health worse, perhaps in an unfixable way. How would you feel if that happened? Myself, if there were any doubt in my mind at all, then I wouldn't do it. What I do w/ my life and the risks around my decisions are my responsibility and my business only. But it's not like that w/ our small loved ones. They're dependent on us to protect them and steer them from harm. That's my job, or was until our beloved little cat died 2 months ago from lymphoma cancer. The grief has been awful. I cannot even express what it feels like, but at least I know that while she was alive, I did everything in my power to help her and care for her. What I or my wife wanted or needed was put on hold, while another family member needed the attention, care, and money. Even before she got sick, it was like that for 8 years actually. We have wanted to move back to Hilo for a long time, but we couldn't because of our two cats. We had already moved w/ them once on planes, and it was a very stressful experience that did not need repeating. Jasmine died a few years ago, Sissy died 6/21/2015, and now we can sit down and talk about what we do now.

Last edited by smarino; 08-15-2015 at 11:30 AM..

Old 08-19-2015, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 5,625 times
I'm sorry about your son! I recently read a book about people who have moved to Hawaii, and the Vog was mentioned a lot. Interestingly enough, the Vog can be a problem on all of the islands. If you want to hear first-hand experience about it, the book is called The Real Hawaii Life, True Stories of Relocations to Hawaii by Kat Varano. It'll actually help you with everything about moving . . . not statistical in nature . . . just a lot of people sharing their experiences regarding their move to Hawaii from the mainland. It's worth the read to avoid making costly mistakes.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:17 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
Default Bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonaunauLove View Post
My friend had to fly from Hilo to Oahu just to get a colonoscopy and a clear diagnosis of sudden weight loss and case of the runs for 2 months straight. Ended up having a roundworm in his gut. Don't get ill on this island.
This is bs from someone on the east coast. His cousin had a friend who knew someone who got sick one time in Hawaii.

Buy decent insurance and you're good. Kaiser has a new facility in Kona and they'll pay for your flight to Oahu if you need specialized care. There are hospitals in Hilo, Kona, Waimea, Ka'u and elsewhere.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:52 AM

101 posts, read 138,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
This is bs from someone on the east coast. His cousin had a friend who knew someone who got sick one time in Hawaii.

Buy decent insurance and you're good. Kaiser has a new facility in Kona and they'll pay for your flight to Oahu if you need specialized care. There are hospitals in Hilo, Kona, Waimea, Ka'u and elsewhere.
Your assumptions are BS. From someone on the Wildside of Oahu. Your not on the Big Island so maybe you shouldn't give an opinion either.

Lets see, because I currently live on the east coast means that I have no experience living in Hawaii or the Big Island?

My friend did have roundworm and was misdiagnosed for two months. He saw doctors in Hilo and Kona.
He finally opted to fly to Oahu on his own dime, where he was able to get a colonoscopy because of his insurance situation.

Keep in mind, everyone does not have "decent insurance" or any at all.

My father-in-law was visiting from Japan once. He began having nose bleeds for about 4 days. The doctors at the Kona hospital said it would just stop. He ended up flying back to Nagoya where he was properly diagnosed, admitted and received surgery that day.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:16 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times
Kona may have a bright new building, Hilo has one too, but there are no talented doctors here and no reason for good ones to come to this rock. (I have been the victim of this system in Hilo, misdiagnosed and in agony for a week.)

Old 08-25-2015, 01:22 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonaunauLove View Post
Your assumptions are BS. From someone on the Wildside of Oahu. Your not on the Big Island so maybe you shouldn't give an opinion either.

Lets see, because I currently live on the east coast means that I have no experience living in Hawaii or the Big Island?

My friend did have roundworm and was misdiagnosed for two months. He saw doctors in Hilo and Kona.
He finally opted to fly to Oahu on his own dime, where he was able to get a colonoscopy because of his insurance situation.

Keep in mind, everyone does not have "decent insurance" or any at all.

My father-in-law was visiting from Japan once. He began having nose bleeds for about 4 days. The doctors at the Kona hospital said it would just stop. He ended up flying back to Nagoya where he was properly diagnosed, admitted and received surgery that day.

Another assumption from the ignorant section. I do have a home on the Big Island. And regularly see a qualified Dr. there. And to continue to beat a dead horse, if you cant afford health insurance, you can't afford to live in Hawaii.

How long ago did you once live in Hawaii? I knew a lady whose nephew got bit by a japanese dog and his mother died of over reaction.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:21 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
And regularly see a qualified Dr. there. And to continue to beat a dead horse, if you cant afford health insurance, you can't afford to live in Hawaii.
It appears that the issue is a "qualified" doctors versus a "quality" doctor. Folks that graduate at the bottom of their medical school class still qualify as "doctors," but they might not be good doctors. Half the time, folks might be better off seeing a traditional kahuna lāʻau lapaʻau.
http://www.thehealersbible.com/uploa...ianhealers.pdf

Old 08-27-2015, 07:17 AM

101 posts, read 138,574 times
Quote:
Another assumption from the ignorant section. I do have a home on the Big Island. And regularly see a qualified Dr. there. And to continue to beat a dead horse, if you cant afford health insurance, you can't afford to live in Hawaii.

How long ago did you once live in Hawaii? I knew a lady whose nephew got bit by a japanese dog and his mother died of over reaction.
You're a snarky troll with what seems like a life purpose of scouring these forums to tell other people how wrong they are.

Later, loudmouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island