Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:35 PM

14 posts, read 18,468 times

Advertisements

Aloha!

I am an Oregon resident starting a masters in teaching this fall. Have been thinking of moving to (hopefully rural) Hawaii to teach middle school/high school for many years and logistically, it all seems sound so far.

Except, and it's a BIG caveat: my son has a heart defect and I'm concerned about VOG. He had surgery and is fine now, but i am concerned about the sulphur and the lack of research on long-term effects. Am I overreacting? (His doctor has released him as a "normal kid" with frequent checks to make sure nothing changes... so he's not worried, but at the same time he's told me to avoid known heart risks for safety's sake)

I've been searching old threads and I hear the north coast is 'clearest' but I'm not sure the DOE will let me choose which town I teach in as a new-hire.

What do you think?
Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 07:39 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary1780 View Post

What do you think?
I think you should ask your Doctor the following: Doc, I'm thinking about moving to the Big Island of Hawaii - which in recent years has had a lot of vog - do you have any concerns whatsoever about making that move with my son considering his heart defect and medical issues?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:20 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,427,282 times
You are talking about the Big Island, right? VOG is only a problem on the "wet" side, or the Hilo side. I would be more concerned with the availability of medical services, and their quality. I remember on an interisland flight, from BI to Oahu. My seat mate was going to Oahu for some medical tests. I didn't press and ask what type of tests, but she said medical care was sparse on any of the islands except Oahu.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:28 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,266,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary1780 View Post
What do you think?
It might be better to remain in Oregon or consider moving to one of the "Smaller Islands," like Oʻahu. Here's a link to set of FAQs about vog and volcanic emissions by the Hawaiʻi State Department of Health...
http://health.hawaii.gov/cab/files/2...a_vog_qa_1.pdf

Old 08-04-2015, 08:29 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,687,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
You are talking about the Big Island, right? VOG is only a problem on the "wet" side, or the Hilo side. I would be more concerned with the availability of medical services, and their quality. I remember on an interisland flight, from BI to Oahu. My seat mate was going to Oahu for some medical tests. I didn't press and ask what type of tests, but she said medical care was sparse on any of the islands except Oahu.
Vog is a problem almost all over the Big Island. In fact, it is usually worse in Kailua Kona than in Hilo, due to the direction of the trade winds and the fact that they eddy in Kona.

I agree with White Viper; this is an issue for your son's doctor. What you could do is gather information from reliablesources (Hawaii Department of Health, for example) that actually collect data on the sulfur dioxide levels and what affects those have on people with medical issues.

If I were you I would wait to move until your son is old enough that he doesn't have to come with you.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:25 PM

Thanks, everyone!!! Yes, sorry, I meant Hawaii Island.

His doctor generally says to treat him like any other kid since his surgery "fixed" him so this hasn't come up before but I'll do some research and make another appt to ask about this specifically. I was tripped up because I read something about exercising caution with heart patients... but the general particulate pollution in Hilo is less than where I live!

The department of health: "No one knows the long-term health effects of exposure to SO2 from volcanic emissions such as those from Kilauea although some studies are underway." Huh.

I read something about smog in general also worsening atherosclerosis. That, aside from unknown sulfur effects, would be my main concern because the only lasting issue is possible clogged arteries at surgical scars. Unlikely though.

I've already done some leg work about visiting cards from Oahu-- right now he's only being seen every 2 years so that should work out just fine.

Anyways thanks again, everyone! I really appreciate it

Old 08-05-2015, 01:38 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,062,484 times
The Hamakua coast up to Hawi is probably the clearest from vog on the whole island.

Have you looked at the DOE website? Do you have a specialty in your teaching? English, Science, Languages, etc?

Old 08-05-2015, 02:45 PM

Thanks! That's what I hear-- it's looking promising on the north end. I just would hate to intentionally move him somewhere and have a negative health outcome. Then again, we are expecting a horrible earthquake here and that can't be too good for your health, either lol!

The Earthquake That Will Devastate the Pacific Northwest - The New Yorker

I'm going to be licensed in English/Language arts I definitely did and it looks like once you apply, they will offer you up to five various positions in sequential order, each denial pushing you farther down the list of applicants. I hear you can request your island of choice, but not region. (this is for public, I could directly apply to a charter school of my choice) But maybe the recruiter would be accommodating considering my choosiness is based on medical need, not proximity to sandy beaches/etc. Worth trying! Thanks

Old 08-05-2015, 05:58 PM

101 posts, read 138,812 times
My friend had to fly from Hilo to Oahu just to get a colonoscopy and a clear diagnosis of sudden weight loss and case of the runs for 2 months straight. Ended up having a roundworm in his gut. Don't get ill on this island.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:35 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,923,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I'm not trying to sound asinine, but your post reads like you've never spent any time on the Big Island. The vog is WAY WAY WORSE on the "dry" or Kona side of the island. There are many areas on the east side of the island that get less vog than Oahu does hundreds of miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island