Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 03:59 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
They did pay rent for awhile, but never signed a lease or a rental agreement. I went over there and the guy threatened to have ME arrested. It's not my property, I have no legal standing, the owner is in Oregon.
If you know who is the owner of the property, and have their name and address, maybe you should send him a letter and photos of what is going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 06:22 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
He's a friend of mine. When I went over to the house it was on his behalf. He said he called HPD and they told him he would have to appear in person to file a complaint.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:10 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Even though this thread is kind of wandering, it is a good lesson for those who don't live in Hawaii. Things are done differently here. You really can't expect things to be done, even through the police department or the county government, the same way that you are used to "back home".

Old 08-17-2015, 10:07 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
He's a friend of mine. When I went over to the house it was on his behalf. He said he called HPD and they told him he would have to appear in person to file a complaint.
Perhaps he could hire a lawyer or someone to represent him. It seems very inefficient and expensive for the property line owner to fly to Hawaii to take care of a legal action with his property.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:14 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Perhaps he could hire a lawyer or someone to represent him. It seems very inefficient and expensive for the property line owner to fly to Hawaii to take care of a legal action with his property.
He/She doesn't have to fly over. I'd start with a phone call myself - could probably email proof of ownership, send a notarized letter, or give someone power of attorney, or many other options.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:45 PM

7 posts, read 11,512 times
Does anyone know of a case where people actually lost their land due to squatters
Does a legitimate owner have any legal recourse ? Mahalo again

Old 08-18-2015, 07:20 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy patric View Post
Does anyone know of a case where people actually lost their land due to squatters
Does a legitimate owner have any legal recourse ?
Hmmmm, I thought we covered this.

Squatting is illegal in Hawaii.

The owner of the property simply needs to call the police and have them removed for trespassing. Hawaii is not "squatter" friendly state.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy patric View Post
Does a legitimate owner have any legal recourse ? Mahalo again
Not off-hand. As long as the legitimate owner pays the property taxes, there's little chance of losing a parcel of land to squatters via "adverse possession."

Here's a link to the relevant law on "adverse possession"...
Haw. Rev. Stat. § 669-1 : Hawaii Statutes - Section 669-1: Object of action.

Here's a fairly recent "adverse possession" case on the Big Island that was overturned on appeal...
http://www.courts.state.hi.us/docs/o...0475mopada.pdf

Old 01-21-2018, 02:11 AM

90 posts, read 104,908 times
Default Buying in Leilani?

I have a friend who boasts, he got a parcel in Leilani recently for $10K because "he knew someone's someone".

Well, I don't know too many people. But I'd sure like to find a similar good deal on a Leilani acre for my first home. A few parcels went for $12K each recently, I only missed scoring one by a hair. In your opinion what's the best Leilani buying strategy for the lowest price? Should I post a wanted ad on Craigslist, or put up flyers (both of which could attract a bunch of crank calls and dingbats) or just start frequenting the farmers' market towards the months' end?

I know how to check a property record based on a TMK and I know my way around the Bureau of Conveyances records, so I am not a total noob. But I am almost sure there is a better way to do this than what I have been doing so far. Mahalo in advance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island