Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 01:57 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypritikin View Post
I think the TMT people would have been better off building it in Brazil. Mahalo, Harry
A stain indeed on Hawaii.

Old 08-04-2019, 03:28 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
Quote:
Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while, but this thread caught my eye. I read the first few of the 45 from 2015 then skipped to the present. I didn't see any from Hawaiians in favor of the TMT. Possibly they don't know about this forum. I think you are wrong about the protesters in only one respect; they are not going to quit. Their motives may be miss-guided, in your opinion, but when it comes to religion, people don't change their minds. My Hawaiian friend in my office exploded in anger when I asked for her opinion; yet a poll taken in 2018 found that 78% of people with Hawaiian ancestry were in favor of TMT. I read two letters to the editor in the Hilo Tribune from a gentleman who claimed to be 100% Hawaiian. He stated, as you have, that his ancestors were astronomers who navigated to Hawaii using astronomical observations. He felt his ancestors would be honored by the TMT being placed atop Mauna Kea. His second letter was lamenting the actions of the protesters to his first letter, including "death threats" (in quotes because those were his words). That's why you don't see those in favor coming forward. People are afraid of retaliation. Only this week have pro-TMT people begun to stage counter-protests. I think there was about 300 of them on Oahu last week. But after fighting this for 10 years, and now a 2 year extension, I think the TMT people would have been better off building it in Brazil. Mahalo, Harry
I stand by my first prediction:

NFL Football and ESPN will garner testosterone away from the protests, and they will thin out very quickly.

And. especially when NFL starts getting into the playoffs, the turnout and crowds will be sparse.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:29 AM

60 posts, read 63,459 times
This is a question, not an observation. But if you can be out protesting every day, what are the possibilities? 1. Independently wealthy? 2. Retired? 3. Your boss has given you a leave of absence to fight for the cause? 4. Unemployed?

Old 08-05-2019, 09:41 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
But if you can be out protesting every day, what are the possibilities? 1. Independently wealthy? 2. Retired? 3. Your boss has given you a leave of absence to fight for the cause? 4. Unemployed?
Likely funded by outside organizations/donations.

I would wager practically every one of them are receiving State/Federal aid with food stamps, etc.

Old 08-05-2019, 09:47 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,098,480 times
Quote:
This is a question, not an observation. But if you can be out protesting every day, what are the possibilities? 1. Independently wealthy? 2. Retired? 3. Your boss has given you a leave of absence to fight for the cause? 4. Unemployed?

4 all day.

The Sunday front page article in the Star Advertiser this weekend is stoking the fire with comments stating that ‘the movement’ is creating a ‘turning point’.

Old 08-05-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Well, if you are a UH student you can drink beer, smoke pot, and take your classes from your tent on Mauna Kea this semester.

"..teachers from across the UH system including neighbor island campuses are allowing their students to complete classes for credit from Mauna Kea. Some subjects include economics, Hawaiian, English and geography."

"We've come up with some ways students can enroll and keep their status as a registered even if they wanna stay on the Mauna for however long we'll be up there," Noenoe Silva, a UH Manoa professor, said.

https://www.kitv.com/story/40873541/...-kea-this-fall

Old 08-06-2019, 12:13 AM

172 posts, read 146,131 times
TMT is actively looking elsewhere.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/still-blo...050339910.html

Old 08-06-2019, 01:37 PM

The whole protest scene has a Mob Rule mentality: "control of a political situation by those outside the conventional or lawful realm, typically involving intimidation."

Old 08-06-2019, 02:33 PM

172 posts, read 146,131 times
I think its laughable the way you guys push your Colonialist ideals while simultaneously calling the protestors backwards and living in the past.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokai100 View Post
and living in the past.
To be fair, if they were "living in the past" they'd embrace the telescope and suddenly remember Hawaii was founded by explorers who were guided by the stars......

They seem to be living in the - we've got not much else to do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island