Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 01:56 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Orchidland is nice and you can get to it from either the Keaau-Pahoa highway or the one that heads up to Volcano that usually has less traffic on it. Isn't Orchidland a bit higher priced, though, usually? And they have an association of homeowners or some such that has dues, doesn't it?

There is that swath through Hawaiian Acres and on through Orchidland that has some flooding occasionally isn't there? Although it doesn't happen all that often as far as I know.

For all practical purposes, you can't really access Orchidland from Hwy 11, unless you live in that very far corner of the subdivision. This road is very rough, and slow going.

Yes, there is a flash flood zone going through both of those subdivisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 08:32 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
3 acre lots in Orchidland Estates (OLE) are typically 25-30k. That is higher than some of the lots further uphill but a lot cheaper than across the highway in HPP where a 1 acre lot typically goes for 40k. There is no homeowner's association in OLE but there is a mandatory road association and the fees are about $100/year. The only major private subdivision I'm aware of with optional road fees is Hawaiian Acres, and they have the suspension and muffler ripping roads to prove it. The OLE road association is currently in chaos but there are other places on the internet to explore that thread.

The only flooding I'm aware of in OLE is Pohaku and 39th. All the OLE road signs entering the subdivision warn that roads flood during rain- for liability reasons. All private roads (regardless of subdivision) are covered by private liability insurance policies (or should be).

Old 03-06-2016, 02:22 PM

128 posts, read 264,980 times
Awesome. Glad to know it! Thank you all again for all the great feedback. Any recommendations on any good agents. We want to look at some land while we are out there in April. Maybe we will find something that we like and that will light the fire under our buts to make this move happen sooner than later. We are both hard working and willing to do anything to make our Hawaiian dream come true.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:39 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,674,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjmontijo View Post
Awesome. Glad to know it! Thank you all again for all the great feedback. Any recommendations on any good agents. We want to look at some land while we are out there in April. Maybe we will find something that we like and that will light the fire under our buts to make this move happen sooner than later. We are both hard working and willing to do anything to make our Hawaiian dream come true.
Do you know what area you will be looking at? I could recommend a good realtor or two in the Ka'u/South Point area, but I would not recommend using them if you are looking in Puna.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:52 PM

Hello Dreaming. We are actually thinking of land somewhere on the Hilo side, I have been reading a few good things about OLE, but still not set on any particular subdivision. We figured this area would be best for us as is closer to town to where we can get to a from a job if needed. additionally, the land cost is low and we like the fact that is rains more on the Hilo side which is great for us since we do plan on going off grid. We do want to find land with great soil as we want to grow our own food and more to sell.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:36 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
If you want great soil, skip the Puna area. Which would be Pahoa, Keaau, Kurtistown, Mountainview, Glenwood, Volcano. (Paradise Park, Hawaiian Shores, Hawaiian Beaches, Nanawale, Leilani Estates, Ainaloa, that one tucked in behind Ainaloa, Orchidland, Hawaiian Acres, Fern Acres, Fern Forest, etc. Skip the Ka'u area, too, so there goes Oceanview. There may be some lots with soil around the Keaau area, but not in the Keaau subdivisions.

You may want to look at Ainaola (not Ainaloa) over by the zoo end of Hilo, there may be parcels with soil there. A better bet would be to look up the Hamakua coast. Honomu, Pepeeko, Ninole, Laupahoehoe, Pauuilo, Honokaa, Waimea, etc. Basically anything between Hilo and Waimea will most likely have great soil and water. Also a LOT less theft than on the Puna side of Hilo. But, it won't be as cheap, either.

Old 03-09-2016, 03:23 PM

6 posts, read 11,374 times
We've been here for two years+ now and I'm so glad we didn't buy like we planned originally. Although we are contemplating different options, there's nothing set yet. Each area has pros and cons but it all comes down to how you live and what makes you happy. In a beginning the west side seemed to be The spot but overtime we came to really appreciate the Hilo side. Things change and it takes a while to get to know the island so take your time and like other said, rent first, take your time and do your best to discover the island with a resident perspective.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:53 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
As far as Realtors go, I would caution against one female with the initials DH, who is dishonest. When our condo was listed she actually (without our consent) let a friend stay in our condo while we were gone for 3 weeks!! Good luck and have FUN!!

Old 03-12-2016, 07:27 PM

Thank you all again for the great information. Question, what is wrong with the soil in the Puna area? Is it hard to grow anything there? Can't I just treat the current soil with fertilizer and more? The last time I was there I remember the area being very green and seeing a verity of vegetation.

Old 03-12-2016, 07:31 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
There is very little soil. Everything is growing in rock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island