Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 01:36 PM

941 posts, read 1,966,022 times

Advertisements

Hotzcatz, I can't give you rep points again, but thank you for all your qualified information and honest opinions. They really help make this forum worth reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 02:07 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
The unpermitted structures are fully tax compliant. The Tax Office doesn't have a check mark for 'permitted' or 'unpermitted' building...
Understood, but isn't it true that many unpermitted homes are simply taxed as raw land, because they've never been identified by the tax office?

Old 02-16-2016, 07:58 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Understood, but isn't it true that many unpermitted homes are simply taxed as raw land, because they've never been identified by the tax office?
There are quite a few that don't have anything on the lot that could be construed as a "dwelling" -A few barrels to catch water, a pipe and tarp carport and a few pallets and ohia or guava sticks. There is a place out towards Waa Waa called Cinderland that has over a dozen such "structures"- everything is temporary and probably has no value.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:31 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
If there's any 'improvements' to the land, the Tax Office taxes them. A tarp and a water barrel may not be taxed, though, unless they started to look permanent. They assess each lot once a year so if it's there from one year to the next they'll probably start taxing it. Once they start putting in pallet walls, it will start being taxed since those are 'solid' walls and not just canvas (or blue plastic tarps).

The tax office doesn't identify them as homes, it just notes a structure on the lot and taxes that. They also get outlines of the structures with square footages. I've heard they use Bing Satellite Maps, but I can't confirm that rumor.

Not that the taxes are that much considering what some mainland taxes are like. 'Agricultural' zoned lots don't usually carry much tax. Although within the past decade, they've been making folks sign an agricultural statement claiming they are going to actually do agriculture if they are going to keep the agricultural zoning. Now they also have split zoning where the house area is zoned residential and taxed at a higher rate than the rest of the lot if it doesn't look like any ag stuff is being done.

(Thanks, KauaiHiker, it's always nice to be appreciated!)

Old 02-20-2016, 10:43 AM

4,410 posts, read 4,893,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
I did a random survey in our neighborhood and 100% of the properties with unpermitted dwellings are taxed as vacant land. There is one across the street from us with two houses on it each of which rival the size of ours.

When we upgraded to solar hot water (requires a permit) the county increased the value of our building by $3,000. We pay more in taxes for hot water than what they pay for two houses. Frankly, I don't really care about any of that. I'd gladly vote for a lifetime of tax-exempt status for their buildings and property if they'd stop tying their pitbull to their front gate without companionship or water.

Old 02-20-2016, 11:12 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Hmm, that's interesting. Generally all the properties I've met up with have already met up with the tax people, but there's more than one tax person. Maybe the person who runs that district has a bit more leeway in how they 'find' things. The tax person for our district retired about six or seven years ago and I don't know the new one yet or I'd ask. Although with that pilikia being caused by that person turning everyone in, maybe there will be sweeping changes.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:53 PM

30 posts, read 73,364 times
Satellite imagery is what they use here in our area of Oregon, as well as, flying over properties.
We found this out when we noticed our tax bill being higher. They saw another structure and added to tax base, without ever bothering to visit site.
Google earth is used regularly by Narcotics task force more often than they want public. I often see it listed on discovery on cases I consult on.

In Mexico we experienced 1st hand why not having things to code or at least done safely. Way too many kids getting electrified, fires, etc....

Affordable housing isn't a reality in many places.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:53 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Twenty some years ago I was just finishing up a 10 x 10 shed on my place way up in the mountains in Oregon, was actually painting it when lo and behold a guy showed up from the assessors office. He told me a pilot had notified them. I was worried, asked him if I was in trouble for no permits. He grinned and said no, we don't talk to "those people". He said it was worth $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island