Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 01:11 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,597,423 times

Advertisements

Already have the house and just put a new roof on it. I've lived in Nanawale before, not that bad. Besides Pahoa is home, even with all the warts. The two old guys involved were going at it for several months now and both of them were full of it, I don't think anybody took them seriously enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 09:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Yeah, I've lived in Nanawale before, too. It's not too bad although the lots are small. Doesn't have much of a view from most of the lots, though. They do have a nice swimming pool there, just wish they would have made the lots larger, half acre lots would have really made that a much nicer sub.

Did all the albizia get knocked over during the hurricane? I've not gone in there since then.

It's a pity the two old guys got all whacko. Now one's dead and the other is not going to be much better.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:23 PM

The house sits on two lots on a corner with rockwalls on two sides and the closest house is two more lots away and no other nearby houses (now). It's way in the back corner behind Lava Tree. A lot of the Alibizias got knocked down, but just like that song, "I get back up again, you never gonna keep me down". All the broken off one are growing like mad, and since I last lived there back in 1990, there are so very many more big ones, especially on Hapu'u Road that now looks like the tree tunnel and there were NONE when I lived there. Hopefully the guy that did the shooting will be able to bail out, he is 72 and has been here since the early 70's, lived most of his life in Kapoho. He would never admit it but I'm sure he was in fear for his life, the guy he shot was "nuckin futz" and 16 years younger.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:26 PM

35 posts, read 48,232 times
Folks that aren't good being close to others usually have a tendency to gravitate out to rural areas

I think you nailed it here, there is a % of very anti-social (paranoid, agressive, etc) people amongst the 'colorful' types attracted to lower Puna....even the peaceful friendly ones are often extreme social drama magnets

Old 03-11-2016, 12:39 PM

Like the bumper stickers and t shirts say; "We're all here because we're not all there"

Old 03-11-2016, 01:35 PM

That's a great bumper sticker for Puna!

Puna has become a lot more 'gentrified' over the past several decades. Give it another couple more and it may not be indistinguishable from Hilo. Although, by that time, Hilo will have grown, too. At least the rate of growth has slowed down from the crazy building of the early 2000's.

What makes an area 'safe' and how can it be spread around? Obviously gates don't work to make a place safe. Tight communities? Smaller lots were everyone can see what's going on? Some sort of communal reason for the community so they interact with each other in a pleasant fashion?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:13 PM

48 posts, read 61,986 times
Leilaniguy, have you decided what area you want to move to?

Old 03-11-2016, 03:55 PM

Nanawale....

Old 03-11-2016, 06:23 PM

Why did you choose Nanawale over Leilani? You'd been in Leilani for years, hadn't you? I'd think maybe Beaches or Shores might be nice, but then again what with some folks' misbehaviour, maybe not.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:40 PM

I already have the house in Nanawale. My place in Leilani was at the top, in the deep rainforest and the Ohia trees are dying. It was getting to be hazardous just living there. The house itself had termites, bad termites that I found one day by putting a ladder on one of the 4 x 12 beams in the living room and hearing that sickening "crunch". I checked the other beams and they were just as bad. The house itself was redwood and cedar, but the framing was Doug Fir. It was time to let somebody else deal with it. I was there over 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island