Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 05:20 PM

74 posts, read 74,137 times

Advertisements

Jane, I have to guess that you have not encountered actual LFAs, perhaps something else? I'm talking about the scourge mostly limited (so far) to the east side of the Big Island. I grew up in Florida; am familiar with their fire ants. They are indeed nasty, but if you don't stand in a nest, you probably won't get bit. LFAs fall out of trees and bite whatever they land on. They are so tiny you don't even notice them until they bite.

Also, conventional pesticides wipe out mainland fire ant colonies, but LFA colonies are high up in trees and require specialized baits to control. See Welcome to the Hawaii Ant Lab for details.

ETA: "mostly"... LFAs have spread to Maui, Kauai, and Oahu.

Last edited by Lodestone; 04-22-2016 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Rider View Post
The other thing you folks mentioned was "invasive chickens".... really? do the folks outside of town have pets? like hogs/chickens/peacocks?
Here in North Florida in the semi-rural/suburbs, the chicken people are becoming more numerous. I don't know if it's the prices of eggs, or someone thinks it they will get rid of bugs better.
I don't mind the hens clucking away (was at a foster family that had all kinds of beasts) but the roosters crowing at 4am after I went to bed at 3am is just toooo much!
Wild chickens are ubiquitous in the islands, wandering throughout. The lack of predators helps. In addition, many in Puna raise their own as well. 3 AM rooster calls are common, but fortunately the coquis drown them out.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
The ants here in HI are tiny and although their bite stings, it's nothing like the fire ants in FL which are bigger and pack a hardier sting. Don't ever step on a mound of FL fire ants, you will be calling for mercy. You can't flick them off that easy either, they CLING. The HI fire ants can be blown off with a puff of air
The little fire ants found in Florida and the little fire ants founds in Hawaii are basically the same thing - perhaps with a small environmental change. Both originate from South/Central America and the ones who made it to Hawaii likely hitched a ride on a plant.

LFA FAQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_ant

Old 04-22-2016, 09:32 PM

I seem to be arguing with everybody today.
I'm less sure of myself on this one, but here goes... LFAs have not made it to Florida to the best of my knowledge. Fire Ants (regular sized) showed up about 50 years ago and can be found throughout the southern mainland. They are red and have the diabolical habit of waiting until several dozen are on you before they start biting. It hurts plenty and feels like you are... on fire. They live in large mounds on the ground. They are related to LFAs in name only, although both are nasty.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:52 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,899,929 times
A quick Google would show little fire ants are indeed in Florida and are the same/related to Hawaii ones

Old 04-23-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
A quick Google would show little fire ants are indeed in Florida and are the same/related to Hawaii ones
I stand corrected. And yet my relatives in Sarasota are unfamiliar with the creatures. But then, I was the only one in my family the went (or even considered going) to college...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: