Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 05:05 PM

268 posts, read 385,719 times

Advertisements

Just curious. 4 days without a single post on the Big Island thread. Are you all ok over there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 07:53 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,991,725 times
...lots to do 'over here' besides sitting in front of the computer posting stuff.....mahalo

Old 04-10-2016, 03:04 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,357,258 times
It's like that pretty much across the board on the forums, unless you're looking at places where lots of people are moving to like Florida, San Francisco, Denver, etc. I remember before the housing crash, everyone and his brother was moving somewhere. These days, unless someone is retiring or has a much better job opportunity, they're pretty much sitting where they are. Not many people move to the B.I. for lots of things to do anyway, LOL. Boredom was my biggest problem there, mostly due to the rain. It puts a damper on lots of outside activities. You get used to it (or some people do, some don't), but it still limits what you can do. Going for a bike ride, a swim, or a park picnic are different in the rain. A lot of people dealt w/ that when the cost of living was low on the B.I., but the housing costs are truly crazy these days, given what you get.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:19 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,288,183 times
I've noticed that there are no posts for several days at a time on several of the Hawaii forums. I've always guessed that the weather is just too nice and people are outside a lot. But you can still connect to the City Data Forum with your smart cellphone, so you could be online when you're on the go. Or, maybe people are too busy working 3 jobs and driving between those 3 jobs or sleeping.

If you live on the wet side, when you get bored and depressed with all the rain, can't you just hop in the car and drive over to the dry side? Although, I thought most of time it rains at night when you are inside your home. Maybe driving an hour and a half to two hours over and over gets old after awhile. Maybe life would be better living on the dry side in green irrigated area. Then you can enjoy the outside almost all the time, all you need to do is to add money to pay for the water and the higher real estate costs. You get less crime too. But without the extra money, or if your jobs are on the wet side, that option isn't possible.

Last edited by davephan; 04-10-2016 at 06:20 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 11:30 AM

49 posts, read 77,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
If you live on the wet side, when you get bored and depressed with all the rain, can't you just hop in the car and drive over to the dry side?
It's called Committing Kona-side

Old 04-10-2016, 01:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 18,005,554 times
Perhaps practically every has been asked and answered several times already.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:25 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,717,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I've noticed that there are no posts for several days at a time on several of the Hawaii forums. I've always guessed that the weather is just too nice and people are outside a lot. But you can still connect to the City Data Forum with your smart cellphone, so you could be online when you're on the go. Or, maybe people are too busy working 3 jobs and driving between those 3 jobs or sleeping.

If you live on the wet side, when you get bored and depressed with all the rain, can't you just hop in the car and drive over to the dry side? Although, I thought most of time it rains at night when you are inside your home. Maybe driving an hour and a half to two hours over and over gets old after awhile. Maybe life would be better living on the dry side in green irrigated area. Then you can enjoy the outside almost all the time, all you need to do is to add money to pay for the water and the higher real estate costs. You get less crime too. But without the extra money, or if your jobs are on the wet side, that option isn't possible.
Not how it works here. There are people who were born Hilo side who have never been Kona side. Not even for Costco!

I have no need or desire to be connected 24/7. I am at the beach or working in the garden or going to hula class or just enjoying being with friends. That's what we do here

Old 04-10-2016, 01:58 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
Well, we went over to the Kona side, but it wasn't for the beach, weather or Costco, although we did go to Costco before we came home again. But, no smart phone, no need to be connected online. That was the day before yesterday, then yesterday was a community party for Buddha's Birthday, so we've been out and about doing things.

It finally stopped raining, it'd been raining for three days, now we're gonna go out and about again organizing things such as drainage and chickens and such.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:46 PM

4,426 posts, read 4,959,293 times
LOL. This weekend I installed an outdoor utility sink (with hot and cold running water, of course) near our back door so we can wash gross farm stuff without taking them inside, and it's nice to be able to wash hands before entering the house or even just have a cold spigot to put a head under on a hot day. I also installed a GE over-the-range microwave to replace the crap LG brand that died two days after the 1 year warranty expired. But what drove me inside to the computer this time... I was machete-ing a clearing in the jungle for our new chicken coop when I realized the 15' tall invasive glory bush I was hacking at was infested with little fire ants. They don't normally like glory bush but they do colonize it when it's near a big palm tree and this was near a large mature coconut. Rather than getting stung or "suiting up" (I have a makeshift bee-type suit for these situations) I spread a bunch of Siesta fire ant bait poison around the area so when I go back next weekend the area will (hopefully) be fire-ant-free.

Hacking at invasive plants getting stung by invasive ants so I could make a home for invasive chickens.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:08 PM

101 posts, read 139,308 times
I've been digging up, removing, replacing, repairing my antiquated irrigation system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: