Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2016, 12:25 PM

60 posts, read 100,630 times

Advertisements

Reading the threads you hear a lot of folks talk about the differences of living (not vacationing) on Maui and the Big Island. Can anyone list some specifics good or bad? Perhaps give your reason for deciding to live on the island you chose vs. any other island?

What I've heard so far:

1. BI is much larger (whoa- go figure) but didn't know you could "fit all the other island into the BI" large.
2. BI is volcanic = more VOG than Maui
3. BI has cheaper land & real estate
4. Maui is more developed: more stores, restaurants, choices, etc.
5. BI has lava zone considerations
6. BI has a wet and dry side // Maui is slightly less severe.
7. Heard the BI is cooler than Maui but following the temps yields Hilo = Haiku.

Questions runnin' through my mind :

As a landlord is it easier to long-term rent to someone on the BI? I'd imagine rents are significantly lower than Maui.

Are vacation rentals more desirable (easier to rent out) in Maui?

Does a smaller selection of restaurants / stores on the BI impact you at all?

Are the ("poor") hospitals about equal?

BI has more coastline. Does this mean more marinas to store a boat? Maui seems like it only had 1 or 2. and is it common to "boat" over to Maui?

I'm sure there's tons of stuff I missed...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2016, 02:21 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
I've never lived in Maui, so I can't compare.

We chose the Big Island because, #1 -- it's BIG. Very hard to get island fever. We live south end and rarely (once a year?) get up to the north end. #2 -- it's got a lot more affordable housing. #3 -- we found a great house in a great neighborhood that is still very rural.

Can't answer about rentals, but surely anything that's within driving distance of the employment centers (Hilo and Kona, plus the resorts in Kohala) has got to have a good long-term rental record. Vacation rentals are tougher if the house is not waterfront or very close to; that's why people come to Hawaii.

We moved to the BI because we knew it was more rural and slower-paced. We don't eat out a lot, but when we do we find a great selection of restaurants in both Kona and Hilo. But then again, we're pretty easy to please. Having limited stores and limited retail choices does impact us a bit, but you just learn to make do. We do a lot of shopping on-line, and know to expect higher shipping charges.

The best hospital is in Waimea.

Not very many (two on Kona side?) marinas to store a boat. The waters around Hawaii are rough and, no, it is not "common" to boat over to Maui. The Alenuihaha Channel between Maui and Hawaii can be very treacherous.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:48 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
comparing the day to day life between Maui and BI is like apples to oranges. each island and each area on the islands have a different feel, micro climate and services. each with it's own perceived positives and negatives. which is better, is subjective and personal to taste.

vacation rental vs LTR is also subjective and results may vary. Only you can do the math.

Old 04-16-2016, 11:16 AM

49 posts, read 76,768 times
Real estate on Maui is vastly more expensive.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:55 PM

15 posts, read 17,009 times
I can only say that BI is difficult for asthma sufferers, due to vog. Or at least, I had issues with that. Maui, I will be visiting in October ...I hear it's very different from big island .

Old 04-22-2016, 02:14 PM

353 posts, read 437,596 times
If you are looking to buy a rental property, BI will be cheaper, but you will probably fare better with a rental on Maui since about the same amount of people live there, more people visit there and you can charge more.

As far as missing restaurants. I am not a restaurant snob. When I seek out food I like "home cooked food" type places. However, I have to say that the BI is sorely lacking in good eateries either way (home cooked or haute cuisine). I desperately miss Vietnamese, Thai, Cambodian (cooked by my boyfriends family and the Khmer community), Indian, African and even good Mexican food. What's even worse, if you wanted to cook this stuff yourself, you can't because you won't be able to find the proper ingredients. There are a couple of good places that sell local Hawaiian, but don't expect much past Kalua pork, lomi lomi, moco loco lau lau and mac salad. I'm not saying that stuff isn't delicious in it's own right, but I personally can't eat that every time I go out. Filipino food can be found, but I have yet to try it here. Hoping it is not terrible like all the Thai restaurants I tried

If you like IHop and Denny's , however, you will be happy. (so, maybe this DOES make me a food snob)

I have to say, food shopping and dining out makes me very very sad here.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:46 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
"I have to say that the BI is sorely lacking in good eateries either way (home cooked or haute cuisine). I desperately miss Vietnamese, Thai, Cambodian (cooked by my boyfriends family and the Khmer community), Indian, African and even good Mexican food."

The BI has LOTS of Thai restaurants, and many of them are very good. There are two Indian restaurants in Hilo and one in Kona, there are not enough Mexican restaurants (not sure I've eaten anywhere I would recommend). Sadly, there is no African food that I'm aware of. There is a single Ethiopian restaurant on Oahu.

On the Mexican front, Carrisal Cuisine has moved into the place that was Navaeh's in Pahoa. They have a few Mexican / Tex-Mex offerings. Technically its not a Mexican restaurant but its a welcome addition.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:41 PM

353 posts, read 437,596 times
Yes. BI DOES have lots of Thai restaurants, I agree. but I must disagree with you on their quality. There used to be one in mountain view about 15 years ago I remember being decent, but I haven't been back to check in. On Kona side, I tried 4 Thai restaurants and they were all pretty bad even though highly rated on yelp. I've been to the Indian place in North Kona..mediocre at best. I honestly haven't checked restaurants on Hilo side and I am sure there is some good food there, just gotta make it over. Thanks for the recommendations though.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:00 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
I have to agree with Jane - plenty of Thai restaurants and restaurants in general and while I'll walk away and say that was good for the Big Island rarely will I say - that was great (compared to mainland/Oahu) standards.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:26 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpirsig View Post
Real estate on Maui is vastly more expensive.
Bingo. Not much more needs to be said for the average person.

The cost of just about everything else, too.

I'd rarely consider eating out on Maui, because it's going to be costly. Probably some very nice top end restaurants though, if you can afford them.

Regarding the statement that the Big Island is lacking in stores, compared to Maui, I'm not sure this is correct.

The Big Island has superior farmer's markets with more local produce available, and of course at much better prices, than Maui.

Maui much smaller, less of a local feel, arguably more beautiful.

Kipahulu/Hana-Paradise on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island