Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2016, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 2,078 times

Advertisements

I am thinking to move back to Hawaii to Big Island. but now in a different field of my life. I am going to buy a land at Hilo side and live just in cabin or yurt or something like this. May anyone advise what exact area are fit my goal, that would not mandatory to build a house? or not limited time to build a house? has an access for electrics and wifi, and have a good elevation and good view to live green and happy Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 09:57 AM

10,672 posts, read 7,891,653 times
If you can afford it, somewhere along the Hamakua coast would be ideal-in my opinion.

Generally, the higher in elevation you go on the windward side the cooler, cloudier and wetter it gets.

My preference is 500-1000 ft., but opinions vary. Maybe look around online for current properties for sale, as there are tons to choose from. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:41 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,613,197 times
What is your budget?

Old 10-02-2016, 01:46 PM

101 posts, read 139,308 times
I second Hamakua coast. It's stunningly beautiful along there. If I didn't need to be in Kona for work and such I would be over there. Thinking of buying a small piece of land one day for a cabin.

Old 10-02-2016, 05:27 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
Not too many views in most of Puna because it's pretty much flat. For the views, folks go along the Hamakua coast or look for a change in elevation.

When looking for land to live off of on this island, check for soil. A lot of the properties are leaf litter over lava rock. Things still grow in it, though.

If you're gonna live somewhere, you need to cover at least the basics for health reasons. Some sort of composting toilet at least if not a septic tank. Usually if you're going to live on the land, most folks will want shelter of some sort and if you're going to legally live in the shelter, then there's some codes and such to follow. You can build a tiny house though and still meet minimum health regulations and building codes. A tiny house and a cabin are about the same thing.

For electric, a lot of folks are using solar panels with a battery bank if they aren't close enough to connect to the electric grid. There's also satellite wifi these days, too.

If it's not done legally, then when it comes time to sell it, there will be difficulties. Or if your neighbors complain, there will be difficulties. There are a lot of folks living less than legally, though, so YMMV.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:56 PM

130 posts, read 153,858 times
There are views in almost all of the cheap lots in H.O.V.E. but there are down sides: it's somewhat remote with limited shopping so you'll need weekly trips to Hilo or Kailua-kona. It's the largest subdivision in the country and there is a lot of diversity. It's very common for folks there to live in unpermitted dwellings. It's not for everyone. There's a lot of vog, so much that it ruins the finish on cars over several years. Unpermitted dwellings don't qualify for mortgages, which is the bulk of the difficulties hotzcatz refers to.

The Hamakua coast is beautiful, but it rains a fair bit. I don't mind the rain myself and if it gets too much one can always drive over to the leeward side of the Island for a bit of respite unless it's a big storm. Almost never get vog.

Puna is another option. Many subdivisions like Hawaiian Acres, Eden Roc and Fern Forest have a large number of unpermitted dwellings and not a lot of issues with neighbors reporting such to the building department. Of course, this is always a risk no matter where you go. These also have rain like the Hamakua coast but not a lot in the way of views. Not a lot of vog unless there's a kona wind.

Yurts are quite interesting. Melissa Fletcher sold them last I remember. Yurtsofhawaii - google it. They can potentially be permitted. You mention you are 'moving back to Hawaii'. Where did you live before?

Old 10-03-2016, 08:57 PM

2 posts, read 2,078 times
Default Thank you, It was helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Not too many views in most of Puna because it's pretty much flat. For the views, folks go along the Hamakua coast or look for a change in elevation.

When looking for land to live off of on this island, check for soil. A lot of the properties are leaf litter over lava rock. Things still grow in it, though.

If you're gonna live somewhere, you need to cover at least the basics for health reasons. Some sort of composting toilet at least if not a septic tank. Usually if you're going to live on the land, most folks will want shelter of some sort and if you're going to legally live in the shelter, then there's some codes and such to follow. You can build a tiny house though and still meet minimum health regulations and building codes. A tiny house and a cabin are about the same thing.

For electric, a lot of folks are using solar panels with a battery bank if they aren't close enough to connect to the electric grid. There's also satellite wifi these days, too.

If it's not done legally, then when it comes time to sell it, there will be difficulties. Or if your neighbors complain, there will be difficulties. There are a lot of folks living less than legally, though, so YMMV.
Yes, to live legally is my choice, Thank you

Old 10-04-2016, 03:53 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,120,678 times
Legally, for dwelling units (structures you live in) you get to follow the 2006 International Residential Code as amended by Hawaii County. There is a newer version, the 2012 IRC, but I'm pretty sure we're still at the 2006 code.

You'd probably be most interested in the 'Efficiency Dwelling Unit' requirements. I think that requires one room of 120 square feet minimum (10' x 12') with a separate closet and toilet area. Minimum ceiling height of 7', although it's easy enough to make taller ceilings and those help make the space seem larger as well as gives extra heat somewhere to go. You could probably meet the minimum requirements in a 12' x 16' foot house, although that is just the minimum requirements, you can make a nice small house/cabin that meets code without having to try to make it as small as meets minimum requirements.

Cesspools are no longer allowed in Hawaii so either a septic tank or composting toilet since there's very few areas with sewer systems. I think in order to meet code for the composting toilet it has to have a manufacturer's label on it, not sure which ones are approved.

If you build a house of less than 500 square feet and later on you want to build a bigger house or you want to sell the property to someone who wants to build a bigger house, then the small house can have it's kitchen removed and it can be reclassified as a guest house. That allows for a new larger house to be built on the property. Check with Planning Department to make sure your property can have a guest house before going this route if you're planning on it. In order to 'remove' a kitchen, taking out the stove and microwave will generally do it. Technically, a kitchen consists of a sink, refrigerator & stove (microwave/ heating unit) so by removing one of the three, it's no longer a kitchen.

To be green and sustainable, you can get solar hot water heating as well as solar electric. You can pick up pre-owned doors and windows at Restore and Habilitat or from Craig's List. The structural parts need to be made of new stamped and graded lumber, but the rest can be other materials. You also have the 'owner builder' option of building it yourself with the exception of the plumbing and electric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island