Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 09:07 PM

311 posts, read 451,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
1. Build a small (say 1200 sqft) single family home as near ocean as allowed by building code
2. Build septic system, water catchment and filtration system, propane gas system, and solar power system
3. Plant an orchard of about 50-100 fruit trees of different types
4. Build a vegetable garden (can be raised vegetable beds)
5. Dig a 1/4-acre pond and stock with large mouth bass
6. Build facility to raise chicken for my own family's consumption (say 50 chicken)
7. Build facility to raise sheep for my own family's consumption (say 20 sheeps)
8. Build a wall around the parameter
9. Subtly grade an ocean cliff spot for easy ocean entry
10. Have internet signal on site

Is the condition at that exact location suitable for these goals?
I can tell you that your choices for #3 and #4 are severely limited on an oceanfront lot. Fruit and vegetables generally do not have much salt tolerance.

Can you import bass into Hawaii? Why not tilapia? Much more common. I can also tell you that you will be disappointed in your results if you do not actively manage your food pond. You can't just throw fish in and think you will reap trophy bass later.

How do sheep do in a tropical sea level environment? I think there are better animals to raise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 12:23 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeZoo View Post

Can you import bass into Hawaii?
Plenty of bass already in Hawaii. No need to "import"

And as far as grade as for ocean access - once you have access then what? You can't swim in it with the jagged rocks.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:35 AM

857 posts, read 959,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Everything is doable except #9, not allowed by State. A wall wouldn't be wise if over 4' tall because of quake risk. That picture is outdated, there are houses there now. Go to the Hawaii county tax site, they have newer aerial photos of the area. Notice some of those lots are "spaghetti"- long and narrow.

I would like to build a tall wall because that feels safer. I know that is no defense for a real home robber/invader, but may fend off some petty thieves.

I still have to give more thought on security. For a few more years I won't be permanently living there; but I want to start with the building for seasonal visits.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeZoo View Post
I can tell you that your choices for #3 and #4 are severely limited on an oceanfront lot. Fruit and vegetables generally do not have much salt tolerance.

Can you import bass into Hawaii? Why not tilapia? Much more common. I can also tell you that you will be disappointed in your results if you do not actively manage your food pond. You can't just throw fish in and think you will reap trophy bass later.

How do sheep do in a tropical sea level environment? I think there are better animals to raise.

My selection is based what I like to eat. If you ever tasted a steamed fresh large mouth bass, you will want to have an endless supply of that too.

Same as lamb. Properly raised sheep don't have the lamb odor that is in almost all the lamb in the market. I have no choice but to raise them myself.

Both will be experiments for me. I still have to study up on each topic. I hope if I can re-create a pond situation that closely resembles a natural body of water, and allow the fish to grow and populate by themselves. This is why I am reluctant to do a liner-pond, because I don't see how vegetation can grow on a liner.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Plenty of bass already in Hawaii. No need to "import"

And as far as grade as for ocean access - once you have access then what? You can't swim in it with the jagged rocks.
Great to hear LMB is already in Hawaii. It truly is a great fish; worthy of being introduced anywhere.

I actually do intend to swim and free-dive in the ocean (on calm ocean days, of course); that's the main reason I'm getting oceanfront property for. Over here in California, 3' waves or below are all OK for me. On below-2' days, the ocean is like a big swimming pool. Our coast is also rocky, just not as jagged as the lava rock shore based on the few pictures I see. With a little shuffling and maybe rounding of the rocks, I think it is very doable.

I can also launch a kayak with ocean access, so I to peddle farther out to fish.

Old 11-06-2016, 12:28 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I would like to build a tall wall because that feels safer. I know that is no defense for a real home robber/invader, but may fend off some petty thieves.

I still have to give more thought on security. For a few more years I won't be permanently living there; but I want to start with the building for seasonal visits.
Here's a bit of advice that will save you thousands of dollars and prevent major headaches -- do not start building anything in Puna, unless you are on-island full-time.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:13 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Here's a bit of advice that will save you thousands of dollars and prevent major headaches -- do not start building anything in Puna, unless you are on-island full-time.
Sage advice. This isn't California where thieves are only looking for stuff they can quickly pawn. Thieves here will steal all your kitchen cabinets, your water pump, copper pipes and wires, and everything else, and then squatters will move in and live in the shell.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Sage advice. This isn't California where thieves are only looking for stuff they can quickly pawn. Thieves here will steal all your kitchen cabinets, your water pump, copper pipes and wires, and everything else, and then squatters will move in and live in the shell.
There must be a solution to this problem... Please help me find one.

Will live 24-hour internet monitoring work? House alarm? Engaging local police department? Have nearby neighbors? Hire a care taker?

Old 11-06-2016, 04:20 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,149 times
Yep, anything that isn't nailed down and anything they can pry loose. Earlier this year a friend had his water pump, pressure tank, filter, propane tank and regulator stolen. Now he carries a gun. A couple of years ago there was a house for sale in Waa Waa on the MLS that had the entire roof stolen. I even know of a case several years back where a guy fell two storeys off his roof and died. After going through a long probate his mainland daughter put it on the market and the realtor told her there was no house... Yes you need a caretaker.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:51 PM

23 posts, read 26,519 times
Yes you need a caretaker... even the lumber from whatever you have built is fair game.. if left alone for long. I too have seen it with my own eyes. Anything usable.. sellable..etc.. will be pillaged. Prettymuch a 100% guarantee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island