Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 02:36 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike11 View Post
Saw a thread about propane fridges, that I'm going to look into next.
\

With the price of panels dropping, I suggest you forget about a propane fridge and just get more panels to power an electric one. Those fridges really suck up a lot of gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 04:11 PM

186 posts, read 345,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cam View Post
I'm curious about where you live now that has lava rock?
I live up in Bozeman, MT, and while we have some sporadic rock here, we do some work down in Idaho, just down the road. The Snake River Plain is basically unbuildable in the vast majority of the area. Google Earth it and you'll see that it looks just like the BI in many parts.

But great fun though! Filled with lava tubes, and cinder cones. Any lava tubes down on the BI?

Old 01-23-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
\

With the price of panels dropping, I suggest you forget about a propane fridge and just get more panels to power an electric one. Those fridges really suck up a lot of gas.
Great to know! Yea we are all about the solar, I just have way more experience with gas. I can learn new things though.

Old 01-24-2017, 03:57 PM

308 posts, read 410,249 times
Quote:
I live up in Bozeman, MT, and while we have some sporadic rock here, we do some work down in Idaho, just down the road. The Snake River Plain is basically unbuildable in the vast majority of the area. Google Earth it and you'll see that it looks just like the BI in many parts.

But great fun though! Filled with lava tubes, and cinder cones. Any lava tubes down on the BI?
Lots! We visited many last time we were there, including a huge one (I can't remember the name) up near or in Volcanoes Nat'l Park. We also found them along roads during rides from here to there all over the island, and the biggest ones usually had "do not enter" signs at their entrances. There's' also a park near Kapoho/Pahoa and environs that's all about lava tubes and trees. I think it's called Lava Trees State Park or somesuch. Fun to walk around. It was one of my husband's favorite places.

I'm sure that the locals can tell you a lot more in the way of specifics and locations. They're almost as cool as Kilauea Crater, itself :-).

Old 01-24-2017, 04:26 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
Quote:

Just about anywhere that lava has flowed you can find lava tubes. I've seen people's lots in both Puna and Ocean View that have lava tubes, obviously some smaller than others. I think I heard a couple of years ago that a bulldozer clearing land in Puna fell into a lava tube.

Old 01-24-2017, 04:54 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Lava tubes? This is the one that serious spelunkers are interested in.
KAZUMURA CAVE TOURS

Old 01-24-2017, 05:12 PM

Definitely going lava tubing when we visit!

Old 01-25-2017, 06:54 PM

38 posts, read 42,873 times
The lava tube that runs down my street is full of rubbish and sewage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island