Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 03:20 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike11 View Post
LOL, check out street view. You may be right, and if you are, Puna's real estate prices are on the rise. So what do I have to lose?
There's a very real reason why those of us who actually live here tell newcomers to NEVER EVER buy sight unseen. And Google street view will never take the place of actually being here. But, go ahead and ignore all good advice (that you came here seeking in the first place) and do your thing. I wish you the best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 05:29 PM

74 posts, read 74,188 times
Some cautionary tales of the lots to the north of me in Hawaiian Shores, bought by people who off-islanders...

I just bought the 0.3 acre parcel adjacent to us to prevent anyone else from building on it (and, for that matter, it's a decent investment); a house on that lot would be a little too close. I paid $8500. Per the Hawaii County's Property Tax website, the sellers, who live in Tokyo, paid $75,000 for it in 2002. If you squint, you can see their tear stains on the title.

The two lots further to the north were bought by lads from Honolulu in 2015, and feature towering albezia trees. They promptly bulldozed out a niche in each property... BUT DID NOT TOUCH THE ALBEZIAS. The carved out lots looked lovely, being shaded by beautiful shade trees that skied a hundred feet overhead. Unfortunately (as any Punatic knows) you cannot build under giant albezias, which tend to randomly drop metric-ton branches when the wind kicks up a bit. Fortunately, someone must have advised them of this issue before they actually started building. The jungle has nearly reclaimed the lots.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:37 PM

38 posts, read 42,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
One reason is that they couldn't buy a lot and build a house on Hamakua for anything near that price.
You get what you pay for.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 1,751 times
This is so sad and such a pity. I've made 9 reports on the kailua kona side for some nasty **** going on. 2 homes up Lako St were perverting on the neighbor's. 2 dads and 2 boys. After 150 times telling them to stop and a total of 12 police reports

. They sell their homes. Seems this sounds like a night task force they get off Scott Free. 2 yrs and 3 months later the kona police cant tell me who these perverted dads are . Dont trust the people we were taught to trust..

Old 05-12-2019, 11:42 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
I have to say... WTF is going on over there? I checked out the sexual predator map, and just in Hawaii Paradise Park subdivision, you've got 7 child molestors, and numerous other sex offenders. That's just one single subdivision!

We were looking to move there to settle down with our family, start some businesses, contribute to the community... We are young and strong, ready to help our neighbors, and I was willing to deal with lava, VOG, no topsoil, and theft, but this... This is a no go. How do people sleep at night?

I come from a place where the police reports are made into a joke by the local newspaper because there is virtually no crime here. I don't even know where my house key is. Does anyone want to defend Puna in this matter?

I would love to hear if the assaults happen frequently in Puna, or these people just move to Puna to "get away" and hide their disgusting faces in some jungle shanty? They should castrate these scum and be done with it. Hopefully some of them are reading this, and then find their face on the map. Sick.

http://www.familywatchdog.us/showmap.asp
Hawaii, especially the BI, is chock full of losers of every stripe.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Hawaii, especially the BI, is chock full of losers of every stripe.
He's whining again because we didn't agree with his latest crazy ideas. So now he hates us all. Oh, well, I'm sure he has a big list of everyone he hates. Just look at his tagline.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:32 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,831,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
He's whining again because we didn't agree with his latest crazy ideas. So now he hates us all. Oh, well, I'm sure he has a big list of everyone he hates. Just look at his tagline.
This ain't Nuu Joisy ! Get over it!

Old 05-16-2019, 07:52 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
When infrastructure catches up, ie: schools, roads, services, police force, then that will be the cue for developers to come in and blow the place up. It happens all over the place, as I'm sure it's happened on the BI in the past. Pahoa may not be the Pahoa you all know in a decade or so. Good luck with your searches, and if you're just looking for a retreat out in Puna, then it seems like a perfect place. I'm looking for something different.
Um hmm. When infrastructure catches up. Right.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:01 PM

Hello

Old 06-04-2019, 04:02 PM

Aloha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island