Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:32 PM
puh puh started this thread

15 posts, read 32,783 times

Advertisements

I need to think about what kind of floors to choose and where to buy them at the most reasonable cost.
Initially , I was going with polished concrete and will still do on the lower floor.

On the second floor this will not be possible. I want something that is resistant to water (dogs) and long lasting with little maintenance (cleaning). I have heard that LVT is the new thing to do but hear reviews that is does show scrates easily and will swell at the seams , plus it is not cheap at all.

I hate carpet.
I have engendered maple floors on the mainland and hate them.
I had wide plank 130 year old Cypress floor in New Orleans and loved them.
I am not sure I can afford wood and then there is the issue of termites and finishing the wood.
I have been reading about the Eucalyptus wood and that it is hard but do not know if the outcome will be good and what the cost is?

So, what floors do you all have on the Big Island and how do you like it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 12:51 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
One of our houses has old fir floors made of wide boards. That's a nice floor, but I don't think you can get that type of wood anymore, at least, not the width and quality used for that floor.

Two of them have oak T & G boards with vinyl or vinyl tiles in the kitchen and bath areas. The oak flooring is nailed directly to the floor joists, no subfloor. We will probably do the solid wood (most likely oak) flooring with roll vinyl in the kitchen and bath for the new house. Probably with oak floor below the vinyl, maybe plywood subfloor there, it depends on how we work out the details. Probably have to put the floor joists 1' o.c. for the wood flooring to make the span in a nice stiff floor like manner but it's less expensive to add in a few floor joists than to put in an entire subfloor.

Also, some of these decisions would most likely be different depending on who is going to be building the house.

The eucalyptus is good, especially eucalyptus robusta (there's about a zillion types of eucalyptus so which variety matters) but folks have said it's so hard you have to pre-drill holes or the nails will bend or the wood will crack. Which translates to expense to have installed when you're paying the installers per hour (as with a contractor) but if you're building it yourself, then that wouldn't be as much of a consideration.

Old 02-12-2017, 01:05 PM

Thanks for your reply.....vynyl sheeting is definitely the way to go in the kitchen and bathrooms.

I was thinking of the Eucalyptus Robusta as well. You are right it is heavy and I have read that it will expand causing cracking. I will have to pay a contractor for everything.......he is local.

Oak floor has never been my favorite but I may have to have a look at it.
Where do you purchase your oak floor? Big Box or small retailer?

Old 02-12-2017, 01:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Floors are a dilemma. We have carpet + linoleum, both of which I hate and want to replace. Wood is beautiful but scares me in the humid part of Maui we live in. We almost put down LVT. It looks nice but it floats so has a funny feel when you walk on it. It feels slightly squishy. I am not sure what we will do. Maybe leave the linoleum in the kitchen but replace the carpet with jatoba. Or maybe do nothing.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
If you need waterproof look into laminate as an option.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:51 PM

451 posts, read 412,098 times
We replaced living area and kitchen linoleum with LVP (luxury vinyl plank) about a year ago. Very pleased so far with the look and durability. It has survived a dog, my cooking spills, very young grandkid/nieces and nephews running in and out without deleterious effects. I initially wanted to install Marmoleum but was neither able to find it available on Oahu nor an installer that recalled how to install it.

Old 02-12-2017, 04:57 PM

268 posts, read 383,207 times
What about tile? They have tile that looks like just about anything you want, including wood. Won't scratch, pet proof, termite proof, etc.

The HD in Hilo has a lot of wood look ceramic/porcelain tile for under $2/SF. Of course there are installation and other materials costs, just as there are with other flooring types.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of floors are good on the Island-img_8090.jpg  

Old 02-12-2017, 06:07 PM

What brand LVT did you end up with ? Thanks

Old 02-12-2017, 06:39 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
I hate carpet. HATE IT. I've removed it from every house I've owned. Usually I put in the vinyl planks because they are a DIY project. Our current house on the BI had regular vinyl flooring in the common areas and carpet in the bedrooms. I ripped the carpet out and put in vinyl planks. The builder-grade vinyl is holding up better.

We have a large lanai on concrete slab and decided to stain and seal it. Unfortunately the products we got at HD were crap even though they were expensive. Other than that I would say the stained and sealed concrete look is fantastic.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:09 PM

451 posts, read 412,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puh View Post
What brand LVT did you end up with ? Thanks

Arcade Green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: