Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 08:04 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDay1 View Post
It's not really a cost issue, trust me when I say I have been saving up for years but I'm driving my self insane with checking to see if everything is accounted for. I just wanted some good options especially knowing me I'll forget something. Thanks for all the extra replies
No need to drive yourself crazy. While sometimes it seems like we are living in a third world country, Hawaii is still part of the United States and not deepest Africa. While some things aren't available or take a long time to ship, we've found that we've changed our lifestyles a lot and don't really need all of those things. Whatever you think you really really need, in six months you'll be wondering why you brought so many things with you.

We live in Hawaii, and especially on the Big Island, because it not like where we used to live on the mainland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 11:15 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
No need to worry, things will work out fine.

Hawaii has a different relationship to houses and cars and stuff. Humility is a very valued characteristic around here so we don't need to show off a fancy house or car. We like comfortable, and if it's a bit old and worn, that's okay, too. The lawn doesn't have to be perfect and the messy mango or lychee tree will be valued a lot more than a perfectly groomed lawn. Cars, as long as they'll get you around and to the beach are just cars, nobody particularly notices them much. If you happen to have air conditioning in your car in Kailua-Kona, that might be nice.

Folks spend a lot of time outside or at the beach so household stuff isn't used as much as on the mainland and we never get cooped up inside for weeks or months at a time. Less wear and tear on houses, I guess?

Should you forget something, though, no worries. Everything you need is most likely available or able to be shipped in. There's a whole slew of stores nowadays, from Macy's to Walmart as well as a lot of folks who can make things for you if you need something not at the shops. Or if you just want something nicer than at the shops. Hawaiian quilts and koa furniture come to mind. Once a month there's an Art Walk in Kailua-Kona where the craftspeople bring their things so you'll be able to see what's available and find someone to make you something if you like.

Most folks furnish their houses with island decor. Tropical stuff is very suitable for our location and climate so the more open and airy tropical look is always in vogue around here. Kailua-Kona doesn't have as much humidity as the other sides of the island, but they still get some. Leather can mold and mildew, any sort of polyester clothing is miserable and pressboard furniture can turn into oatmeal. Not as much on Kona side, but some times. So, natural fabrics, open and airy tropical, etc. works pretty well.

And if everything isn't accounted for, what happens? Probably not much. Order it in and take a few days to go to the beach while waiting for it to show up.

Old 04-07-2017, 02:30 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDay1 View Post
It's not really a cost issue, trust me when I say I have been saving up for years but I'm driving my self insane with checking to see if everything is accounted for.
One of the benefits of life on an Island is that there is always a short distance to drive relative to the States. So, insanity may be more convenient than on the mainland. Shorter trip.

Hope this, uuuurrrrpppp, scuze me, helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island