Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 11:57 AM

85 posts, read 98,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassnumbers View Post
I'm sensing a mixed message, here.

"I've said it before: coming here with eyes/mind open and a good attitude"

Yup!
They usually start with "I just got back from a two week vacation and fell in love, now I am going to move to paradise and get high on the beach all day!!!!111eleventy!"

^ That seems like a good attitude. That seems very positive and upbeat. Didn't you say that a good attitude is important? So I'm confused.
What I said was "coming here with eyes/mind open and a good attitude will work out better than coming here with a bankroll and unrealistic expectations."
Please don't be confused.
A fool with a good attitude is still a fool.
My statement was in reference to the people who, while maybe having a good attitude, still lack the maturity and life experiences to create realistic expectations on what life here is like.
I've seen your posts on Punaweb... you'll learn when you get here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 02:39 PM

65 posts, read 67,585 times
I believe you, I just, I don't know what it is I'm going to learn? I've prepared myself for a great deal of island things-there will be a lot more bugs, they will never stop because there's no winter. Prices are higher on most stuff, even compared to Southern California. If there's a pothole in the road, you can't just call up city hall and ask for a cold patch truck. You might have to wait years for that pothole to get filled, depending on where you live. Sometimes there will be vog, depending on the wind and where I'm at.

I can't expect the bathrooms to always have TP and I should keep a roll in the car at all times. There's only like, one or two roads for getting to west or east, so if there's any kind of car wreck, the whole route to that place shuts down. The unique confluence of salt water and volcanic emissions eats through any kind of metal quite efficiently, all metals have to be painted or they will rust out. All fruits or any kind of produce has to be washed for lepto, then checked for RLW. Lets see, what else, oh yeah, I know that Hilo already has had its sewers overflow twice this year, and that Hilo has been destroyed by tsunamis twice in the past.

I also know that restaurants and pretty much any business on the big island has to be double-checked for reliability, because the "talent" so to speak behind them has had a tendency in the past to move to the mainland and leave the business behind to someone without their skills. I also know that politics and HOA in Hawai'i are a weird, labyrinthine web. I know that you have to have your own money, or work in the medical profession to expect an income on the big island. Have I missed anything? That feels pretty comprehensive.

Old 04-29-2017, 06:07 PM

85 posts, read 98,880 times
Poor mijax has already had their thread hijacked enough.

Mr Glass, please post a new topic and I'll be glad to answer specific questions in there, as would others I'd assume. You only have a week or so left before arriving yeah?
I don't mind taking a thread on a joyride once in a while, but I do have the courtesy to return it with a full tank of gas after.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:01 AM

52 posts, read 46,453 times
One thing I have noticed from reading responses on this forum is you can ask one question and receive 100 different responses. I do appreciate all the input. Everyone's input is very helpful .

A common thread I do see is not shipping a huge container full of things. We will be shipping some items, but we are listening to that advice. So far we've sold off much of our belongings and made enough money to pay for what we do ship, including our cars.

As for being realistic... I'd love to believe we can move to BI and sit on the beach all day, but of course that is just a fantasy. My wife and I work here in Sacramento and know we'll have to continue making a living and when we arrive. Albeit maybe more difficult than here, but we're up for the challenge. Also, I grew up in poverty and have worked hard for everything I have. Same for my beautiful wife. She is originally from the mountains of Laos, born in a bamboo hut with dirt floors, no electricity or running water. She doesn't want to go back to that kind of life, but she's also not afraid of working hard and sacrifice to succeed. So we both come from humble beginnings and have done well for ourselves due to sweat and hard work. I know it wont be easy to make it on BI, then again, things of value rarely come easily... Palanakonu, I like your response above about people who make it on BI are a "hardier bunch"!

So not to go off on a rant.. but I believe that with hard work and realistic goals we'll thrive on BI. So, thanks again for everyone who has commented. With each comment I learn a little more of what lays ahead, so please continue with advice and opinions. & once my family and I have established our home on BI, I hope that I can give advice of value to anyone else chasing their dream of living on BI.

Thanks! (almost said Mahalo... but don't think I've earned that right yet ..

Old 05-03-2017, 10:26 AM

69 posts, read 76,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijax View Post
Hi Tisambas1,

I read your post about the rats. Sorry to hear that. I'll be investing in some rat traps as soon as we get moved in!

We'll be looking to rent for about 6 months before we buy. I've read a lot of the positive/negative posts about where to live and not live, so we'll just have to explore and make up our own minds on a location & hope for the best. You're out in Kaloli point, right? We looked at a couple houses out there last year. I do like that part of HPP.
Yes, it is very quiet on Kaloli Point, and we do not seem to have the crime that others area have, maybe due to being so far from the highway? It seems as though most of the crime is in the streets withnthe higher numbers. We have an active neighborhood watch program, separate from the rest of Hawaiian Paradise Park. The rats happen when the lots are torn up to build on. They lose there natural habitat and run over to the next property that has fruit trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island