Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 PM

52 posts, read 46,604 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'll be relocating to Big Island, Hilo side, this coming August. I'm shipping 2 cars and a few personal items. I've talked to a few shipping companies, looked at reviews online, visited the BBB website... and am thinking on using Hawaii Moving & Shipping.

Has anyone used this company before? Would like to share their good or bad experiences?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 01:52 PM

85 posts, read 99,175 times
You'll find that a lot of us just sold (or abandoned) everything and came here to start over... man the expensive stuff we left behind: $3k marble dining table 4 month old king poster bed... even a vehicle.
Anyhow... we did ship over one vehicle.
We were coming from the eastern part of the mainland and used a broker company to truck the vehicle to the west coast and ship it from there, had good experiences with them, was a simple process and they kept us updated: Hawaii Car Transport | Vehicle Shipping To and From The Islands | Hawaii Auto Movers

The only personal items we brought came in suitcases or my old neighbor shipped them in flat-rate boxes: heirlooms, documents, etc.

EDIT: Sorry I wasn't able to answer your specific question, just giving my experience.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:46 PM

Hi Palanakonu,

Thanks for your response. Every bit of info/experiences is helpful.

We're still debating on whether or not to pay the expense of shipping personal items or just use that money to purchase new and start over.

If you don't mind, which island/area did you end up relocating too?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:12 PM

69 posts, read 77,237 times
We also moved to Hilo side and sold almost everything! We brought a car that rusted and rats moved into it (2012 Subaru), and each person brought two suitcases and we mailed some boxes. We started over. It is best to buy furniture here in my opinion that is suitable to the tropics, such as bamboo.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:51 PM

Hi Tisambas1,

I read your post about the rats. Sorry to hear that. I'll be investing in some rat traps as soon as we get moved in!

We'll be looking to rent for about 6 months before we buy. I've read a lot of the positive/negative posts about where to live and not live, so we'll just have to explore and make up our own minds on a location & hope for the best. You're out in Kaloli point, right? We looked at a couple houses out there last year. I do like that part of HPP.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:21 PM

85 posts, read 99,175 times
We bounced around the island for a few years with rentals until we found the perfect spot for us here at the sourthern part of the Big Island in Na'alehu. To me and my family, this is the perfect spot. We are now starting to build on some vacant land... just got to get all the grubbing done. But things move slow here, just the way I like it.
Good thing is we have friends ALL OVER now, so no matter where we want to go, there are people there to spend time with if we wish, from Hawi, to Waimea,; and Honoka'a to Kapoho... Volcano, Ka'u, and into Kona. So that worked out real well for us.

I wish you the best of luck. Just bring a good attitude and I'm sure you'll fit in no matter where you settle down.

Tisambas1 has a point about the furniture, which brings up another...
When I lived in Pahoa, we lost a lot of stuff to mold and mildew. Fortunately none of it was irreplaceable, and some of it wasn't even necessary any more (like my expensive work clothes, which I don't wear now that I'm retired). But till, that can and does happen on the humid east side.

Old 04-25-2017, 07:42 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,684,024 times
mijax, where are you moving from? You can ship your car yourself from Seattle, LA, or Oakland for $1,100. If you are moving from elsewhere and need someone to transport it, I've heard the Kona Car Guy is good. He can also handle shipping of items. Sorry I'm not familiar with Hawaii Moving and Storage.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:17 PM

10,915 posts, read 7,420,904 times
sell your cars, bring a truck. You'll probably pay less for the truck plus shipping than you would to buy it here. And you really, really need a truck here, especially if you plan to move a few times. There's no regular garbage pickup here--the dumps are free, but do you want to put your trash in your car?

and I agree with the posts about not bringing all your stuff with you. We came with just suitcases, rented for about 3 years all over the island, and chose Mt. View for its cooler elevation.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:15 AM

Thanks for all the responses everyone. Especially staying positive. I know its not going to be an easy move... but on so many "moving to Hawaii" responses I've read its nothing but doom & gloom & don't come!

Dreaming of Hawaii... I'm currently living in Sacramento CA... Just a short drive to the Oakland port, so getting my cars to there will be easy.

I've also heard its good to have a truck on BI. We'll be keeping the cars ($1k quote to ship each) as they are late model and will be paid off prior to the move. But I'll definitely be in the market for a small pick up once were settled.

Thanks again for all the input. Very much appreciated!!

Old 04-26-2017, 09:19 AM

Oh.... & If I may ask another question...

I'm planning on getting a VRBO rental for the first few weeks upon arrival in August. But after that I'll be looking for a short term rental for 4-6 months. Anyone have any advice on property management companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island