Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:08 AM

408 posts, read 430,500 times

Advertisements

Hi, everyone. I've lived in Hilo 1.5 years. I'm looking for a pet-friendly rental for myself and my 5-year-old golden retriever. We live in a dog-friendly place now, which I found when I first when I first moved here by dumb luck.

My landlord now wants me to move. He's selling the property. I've been looking on Craigslist since January and have yet to find something suitable. I've had offers -- studios, etc. But nothing big enough/affordable enough that would really work for us long term.

Due to my job in downtown Hilo, I need a place within 20 minutes of Hilo with some sort of a patch of grass. Something 500 sq feet at minimum, because my dog is indoor. Finding something within this description has been just about impossible to lock down. Most all rentals are "No Pets" and if pets are allowed, there are like 12 other people at showings.

I know the rental vacancy rate is tight right now and there's an overall lack of affordable rental housing in Hilo. Even so, I'm getting burnt out. My dog is trained and doesn't bark. I'd pay as much of a pet deposit as needed. I work fulltime and can afford to pay rent. I'd welcome a longterm lease and my dog has lived with me in probably 4-5 rentals and we've always received a full deposit back.

So I just don't understand, honestly. I guess I'd like to hear from folks who rent out ohanas, spare rooms, etc -- why it's always an automatic "No Pets?" Why not give a pet owner who seems OK, a chance? Just curious.

It's also just frustrating because I'm facing a hard decision of shipping my dog back to the mainland to live with other family if something doesn't work out in the next month. She's been my bud for many years -- I don't have family out here and moved out here alone for my job -- and it wasn't ever a question of whether to bring her or not. I feel like I'm giving up on her.

I've thought about being less picky -- accepting a smaller place or a place w/o a yard, but ultimatley, I don't think it's fair to her to keep her in a 400 sq foot studio all day. So anyway, I'm just in a bind and would like to hear thoughts. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Start offering more money than the listed rental price - many have a price point they can't resist.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:57 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
OP I've got nothing.. but my heart goes out to you.

Couldn't you rent a small place and have a dog walker stop by while you're working?

Have you placed your own ad on Craigslist and other sites describing your situation/dog?
(Many people have rentals-don't advertise them, but respond to ads placed for people looking to rent.)
Have you talked to any of the local kennels to see if they have any ideas for pet friendly housing?

Old 04-27-2017, 11:40 AM

85 posts, read 98,880 times
During our "move around the island" phase, we were in a rental in lower Puna that did not allow pets, which was fine with me since I had no plan on getting any.
A few weeks into the rental, wild hogs came and rooted up half the lawn. Owner said if we wanted to we could get a dog. Turned him down and set traps instead (mmmmmm, pork!).
Talking to him a few weeks after that and we brought up the cost of farm fresh eggs and he said we could get chickens if we wanted, so we did.
In a brief talk to him once, he said that he uses the no pets rule to weed out possible renters that could be problems for him. In his experience, there's a "reason" that people with pets are always moving around so much.
Never went into it much more than that. Point is, it never hurts to ask, or as someone above me said, offer an incentive.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:07 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
We always list our rentals as 'no pets' but both of them have pets anyway. One has a big dog and a little dog, the other has a big dog, a little dog and a goat. The goat stays outside, at least.

In this market there's no reason to offer a rental to someone with pets and we're not renting houses for the benefit of the general public, the idea is to make money. Although one rental is to a friend and at about half of what it should be, so I guess we're not actually serious about the making money part.

So, you could mention to the landlord that you'd pay an extra $50 a month or so for the dog and that might get their attention. Otherwise, find a rental where you have references. Ask your friends if they know anyone, ask your co-workers, ask your landlord that's moving. If he's selling the property, does he want to sell it with a tenant in place?

Can you buy the property? Maybe he'd let you make payments on it instead of paying rent? If it's paid for, he could carry the paper on it and make all the interest that the bank would take.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Maybe you should look for a place like the posts above, that say "no pets" but are actually neutral on the issue, and find a place to keep your dog for the first month or so, and then tell the owner after a month or two that you acquired a dog and would it be OK to move the dog in? Of course it could backfire. But it is a way for the owner to get to know you without having the dog be an issue.

When we rented out our house we did not have a no-pet policy but I know I would not have allowed a pet without getting a sense of whether the renters were responsible people. Like, do they pick up dog poop? Are they going to walk the dog every day so it pees all over the neighborhood rather in one spot in the yard which then kills the grass there? You don't know when someone walks in off the street but you do know how an existing tenant has treated your rental and you can get a good idea if they will be a responsible dog owner.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:26 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Maybe you should look for a place like the posts above, that say "no pets" but are actually neutral on the issue, and find a place to keep your dog for the first month or so, and then tell the owner after a month or two that you acquired a dog and would it be OK to move the dog in? Of course it could backfire. But it is a way for the owner to get to know you without having the dog be an issue.
That advice is really just an attempt to lie and deceive the landlord. If someone rented one of my "no pet" units and then a month later asked if the could bring in a pet, I would quickly say "no" and there would be lost trust. Deceit is a poor policy.

You have the dog. Now you must work through the challenges of that. I agree with others that you should meet with landlords of available rentals and ask if they would make an exception to the pet policy for a little more in monthly rent.

I think you could also offer to pay a larger deposit to help the landlord feel more comfortable about potential damage.

If you have a good rental history, good credit, and offer to pay a higher deposit and higher monthly rent, I think you will find someone willing to take the dog. But I also suggest you meet with the landlord in person to talk about the dog and make the offer. Often a landlord will get a sense of who you are by talking face to face.

The only other option is to buy your own place and not need to worry about the issue any longer.

Good luck.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:43 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
If you have been living in Hilo for 1.5 years already, I am.assuming you have been renting? If so, would your current landlord be willing to act as a reference?
It might help convince a potential landlord to rent to you.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
That advice is really just an attempt to lie and deceive the landlord. If someone rented one of my "no pet" units and then a month later asked if the could bring in a pet, I would quickly say "no" and there would be lost trust. Deceit is a poor policy.
So, OP sends the dog to the mainland (as he said) and now finds a place to live without the dog. After a month or two he asks the landlord about allowing a dog. If the landlord says 'yes', he has the pooch sent back. Is that deceiving? I think not. How does that differ from finding a temporary home in Hawaii for the pup and doing the same thing? If the landlord says 'no', ship the dog home as was going to anyway. If the landlord says 'yes' move the dog in. It does not seem deceptive to me. In either case if the landlord does not want a dog, there will be no dog in the house.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:03 PM

959 posts, read 1,214,485 times
Quote:
So, OP sends the dog to the mainland (as he said) and now finds a place to live without the dog. After a month or two he asks the landlord about allowing a dog. If the landlord says 'yes', he has the pooch sent back. Is that deceiving? I think not. How does that differ from finding a temporary home in Hawaii for the pup and doing the same thing? If the landlord says 'no', ship the dog home as was going to anyway. If the landlord says 'yes' move the dog in. It does not seem deceptive to me. In either case if the landlord does not want a dog, there will be no dog in the house.
Here is what you said:

Quote:
. Maybe you should look for a place like the posts above, that say "no pets" but are actually neutral on the issue, and find a place to keep your dog for the first month or so, and then tell the owner after a month or two that you acquired a dog and would it be OK to move the dog in? .
If that doesn't sound like an attempt to deceive, then I can't help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: