Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 03:21 PM

268 posts, read 385,431 times

Advertisements

There have been many discussions about healthcare on the Big Island. I stumbled across these articles, thought they were interesting reading and wanted to share.

Part 1
The History of Emergency Medical Care in Hawaii

Part 2
The History of Emergency Medical Care in Hawaii

Last edited by 67Cam; 05-22-2017 at 04:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 03:47 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
By doctor "Fed" Holschuh, too! Woot! It's Dr. Fred. Guess they'll get it figured out when they continue the article?

Old 05-22-2017, 04:07 PM

268 posts, read 385,431 times
I think there are only 2 parts. At the end of part 2 (the 2nd link) he closes with "Finally..." and thanks all his patients.

I remember seeing a NY Times video story about the People's Theater in Honokaa. They talked about the owner, who is a retired Physician, and his dughter who runs the place now.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
Yup, that'd be Dr. Tawn Keeney and his daughter, Phaeton. Tawn is there most nights when there's a screening. Tawn was a plantation doctor and worked for the sugar companies until they closed. He was also working out of the Honokaa hospital and out of the one in Waimea, too, I think.

Dr. Tawn kept the theater from closing after sugar closed down around here. Then it was in danger again when everything went digital since they still had the old film cameras. I remember seeing the film scorch once when it got stuck during a movie. The picture stopped moving and then kinda started bubbling up and then went white after the film burned through. He had it fixed (I guess they glue or tape them back together) and running again in a few minutes.

Anyway, when everything went digital, they needed about $40K to get a new digital projector and they didn't have the money for it. At $6 a movie (and $2 for popcorn) at a small town theater, it's not exactly a huge money making business. They had a Go Fund Me campaign to buy a new digital projector and keep the theater from going dark. Everyone kicked in since the town wouldn't be the same without the theater. I think they ended up with $120K from the campaign and were able to not only get the new projector but make some repairs as well.

It may be the biggest screen left in Hawaii, I dunno. Akebono Theater burned down awhile ago and that had been a large screen theater, although I don't know if they'd been showing movies for the past few years. The Pahala theater is probably never going to reopen. Not sure about the one downtown Hilo or over in Kainalu(?) - somewhere Kona side anyway. Are they still showing movies and are they still the old big screen theaters? The new multi-plex theaters have much smaller screens.

The Honokaa People's Theater still has the old fold up style of seats, too. As well as a small stage for musical and theater productions. So even though Dr. Tawn is a retired doctor, he's still helping the community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island