Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 06:54 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times

Advertisements

I've been there a handful of times, but it's such an aggravating experience. I hate that Kona trip and every time we go in there they have moved everything around, can't find anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 04:33 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
It's pretty crazy busy on weekends and the couple of days before school started it was crazy busy, too. We try to go on a week day morning and then it's not such a zoo. FWIW, the ones on Oahu are seventeen times worse than the Kona one.

Now they have some sort of chili bowl. It's okay chili kinda non-standard it has green peppers in it. Tastes pretty good on the polish hot dogs, although it's best if the dogs are sliced open and the whole thing eaten with a fork since it gets pretty messy.

They'd not had a couple of their standard items for awhile, but we were there a couple of days ago (which is when we met the new chili) and the stuff they'd not had showed up on the shelf again. Maybe they just got in a new couple of containers or something. They must ship in several container loads per week, wouldn't you think?

Yeah, the trip from Hilo side (or beyond Hilo side) over to Costco and then back all in one day and adding in shopping as well is kinda a grueling event. Almost more of an endurance event than a shopping trip. A friend of mine from Hawaiian Acres would go over to Spencer's and camp out overnight and then hit Costco on his way home. Sometimes he'd stay at the Manago Hotel or camp at Hapuna. He always liked making it something to do when leaving Kona after some sort of fun overnight thing.

Even if they build one in Hilo, we're still about equidistant away from it. But, we sometimes have to go to Hilo, so if we have to go that direction, we'd have the option of dropping in past Costco. I suspect it would be busier than the Kona one.

And just as a guess, how many acres of concrete do you think is in the Kona Costco? I'm guessing maybe two to three acres? Somewhat closer to three acres, I'd guess.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:42 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
..I wonder how many of the Juneau Costcos you can fit into the Kona Costco? Did JNU ever get costco pizza? When I was there they only had the hotdogs and such. ..
Right, Kona's a lot bigger. No, Juneau hasn't got the pizza. Dunno, seems like it would be a success. Their hot dog stand seems popular, though not with me.

With a ton of old family photo slides, I wish they had a photo shop like some of them do.

The store is popular with foreign workers off the cruise ships. No doubt a Hilo location would be too.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:05 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,902,551 times
"every time we go in there they have moved everything around, can't find anything"

Last time I was there, the only butter they had in the dairy section was small organic packs or imported stuff. I thought they were out of their standard 4-pound pack. For some reason it was in the cold case down past the bacon. Didn't make any sense. Why not keep the dairy in the dairy section? And why is some bread by the bakery and the other stuff over by the dry goods? Frustrating for sure.

Old 09-17-2017, 01:04 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
I think that Costco moves stuff around to make us go look for what we want. That way we have to walk every aisle and "maybe" we'll see something else we need to buy while we wander. Very frustrating for us, very profitable for them.

But you can still get a hot dog and drink for a buck and a half. Cheapest lunch in town!

Old 09-17-2017, 04:00 PM

It probably would be less frustrating if the Costco trip didn't involve a 5 hour RT commute. But you are absolutely right that they move things around because it increases sales. Also the extra wandering works up an appetite so you'll want to get a churro or something on our way out. I doubt they make any money on the hot dog meal considering that they have never raised the price since it was introduced in 1985.

I like the Maui costco because the food vending is all completely outside in a covered area dedicated to that, so you don't have to pass through that huge mass of costco zombies to get out of the store. That might not work in a place like Hilo where people will go there to feed their family without buying memberships.

Old 09-18-2017, 12:06 AM

834 posts, read 1,217,712 times
The time to avoid to go to Costco are EBT Card days at the beginning of the month (1, 3, 5th day).

Old 09-18-2017, 12:36 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,975 times
Sounds like the best way to get Costco to Hilo is to not go to Costco. Boycott Costco?

Old 09-19-2017, 05:43 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkor View Post
What is the $$$ population on the East side compared to Kona side?
Much less, no doubt, but why do you ask?

Percentage of food dollars spent at Costco would be much higher for lower and middle income folks than with wealthy ones, I'd imagine, so # of people should be most important stat.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkor View Post
What is the $$$ population on the East side compared to Kona side?
That depends on how you define East and West sides, but if you look at the census data for 2015:

East Population:

Puna 49,801
South Hilo 48,614
North Hilo 1,718
total 100,133

West Population:

North Kona: 37,922
South Kona: 12,681
South Kohala: 21,072
North Kohala: 9,446
total 81,121

Not included: Ka'u (7,698) and Hamakua (6,933) because they straddle both east and west sides, but even if you added all their population to the West side, the East side population is still larger than the west side. And the East side population is concentrated in a much smaller geographic area.

Puna is the fastest growing part of the state. If you look at the census projection of 2020 it shows the gap between East and West side population growing further in a smaller concentrated area.

As far as the $$$ question: Costco accepts EBT.

http://www.hiloagent.com/images/Hawa...20District.pdf

http://www.hiloagent.com/images/Big%...waii%20TMK.gif

Last edited by terracore; 09-19-2017 at 08:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island