Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 07:24 PM

4 posts, read 24,833 times

Advertisements

Hi, will Costco open in Hilo side soon ? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 07:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
April 2018

Old 06-11-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
April 2018
but I heart someone say that it's April 1st joke , isn't it ?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:53 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
No plans to open a store on Hilo side.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:53 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Maybe. The article online is from April 1.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:49 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Yeah it's one of Damon Tucker's articles and the last sentence is: "The grand opening date is scheduled for April 1st, 2018 according to developer Lirpa Sloof." "Lirpa Sloof", of course being "April Fools" backwards.

Costco has no reason to open on the Hilo side. Folks in Hilo are willing to drive to Kona once a month or so anyway so there's not enough additional revenue for them to open another store. I'd heard they had the Kona store partly as a warehouse for the Oahu stores, but I don't know if that's true or not. Seems a warehouse here would be less expensive than anywhere on Oahu but then things would have to be shipped inter-island so I dunno.

There's a Cost-U-Less in Hilo which is sorta like a small under developed Costco.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Yeah it's one of Damon Tucker's articles and the last sentence is: "The grand opening date is scheduled for April 1st, 2018 according to developer Lirpa Sloof." "Lirpa Sloof", of course being "April Fools" backwards.

Costco has no reason to open on the Hilo side. Folks in Hilo are willing to drive to Kona once a month or so anyway so there's not enough additional revenue for them to open another store. I'd heard they had the Kona store partly as a warehouse for the Oahu stores, but I don't know if that's true or not. Seems a warehouse here would be less expensive than anywhere on Oahu but then things would have to be shipped inter-island so I dunno.

There's a Cost-U-Less in Hilo which is sorta like a small under developed Costco.
Thank you

Old 06-12-2017, 01:21 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
It's kinda humbug there's only one Costco, but since there's only one that pretty much means you see people you know from your side of the island when you visit Kailua-Kona since everyone almost always goes to Costco when they go to Kona.

I'm not sure what demographics are required for Costco to open a new store but I'm sure when they chose Kailua-Kona they took into consideration the population of both sides, their economic status, the accessibility of the port, etc. They're probably also using mainland numbers such as how far mainland folks will drive to get to Costco. Somehow I suspect mainland folks more likely to go 100 miles to get somewhere than most island folks are. But, they didn't ask you and they didn't ask me so we get to drive if we want to go to Costco.

Usually what happens for us, is that several folks will get together and make an outing of going to Costco. We rarely will go there by ourselves but will frequently tag along with other folks when they're going for whatever reason. My neighbor's dog just had puppies and she's going later this week to get dog food. So I'll go along and help her shift big bags of dog food, have lunch, hit the beach and have a nice visit with my neighbor on the drive over as well. But if Costco weren't over there, we'd not be headed in that direction.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:19 PM

130 posts, read 152,516 times
The funny thing is that the East side of the Island has a larger population than the West side. Half the population lives in either South Hilo district or Puna district as of the 2010 census: http://www.hiloagent.com/images/Hawa...20District.pdf

I suspect there's a population to support two Costco stores on the Island, but acquiring land may be a problem.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:44 PM

268 posts, read 382,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereilly View Post
The funny thing is that the East side of the Island has a larger population than the West side. Half the population lives in either South Hilo district or Puna district as of the 2010 census: http://www.hiloagent.com/images/Hawa...20District.pdf

I suspect there's a population to support two Costco stores on the Island, but acquiring land may be a problem.
Keeping in mind I don't live on the Big Island and was only there for 2 weeks my experiences might not mean much, but we went into Safeway, Target, Walmart and 2 different KTA's. Every time, in each store, it was very busy with long lines. I remember thinking "they really do need a Costco here" (I had read about Costco-free Hilo on the forum beforehand). I imagine population isn't the main roadblock either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island