Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 15,618 times

Advertisements

I haven't given up on my hopes to move yet.
I appreciate some of the great advice given here on this site.
As far as the cost to move my dog and cat, unfortunately $1000 to get each one there is not what I consider exorbitant amount, they are worth it to me. Call me crazy!
I am just happy that people who know better take valuable time out of their day to offer up priceless advise to help others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 04:44 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Acres&offTheGrid View Post
Hi,

My name is Mario and I also was going to move to Big Island last year until I found out about the pet quarantine. At first it was a shocker to hear my only friend (my dog Max) would be quarantined for 90days? Pay over 1090 dollars? I was told the visits would be good but then I suddenly changed my mind because the thought of leaving my dog every day would devastate me, he's with me almost 24hr a day. No way! I'll do the rabbies tests here and wait the 4 months so now I"m just trying to save enough to move.
Generally asking about importing animals to Hawaii isn't something one would ask a Realtor, I suppose, although had you asked, the Realtor should have mentioned the quarantine.

It used to be worse for bringing dogs into the state. They ALL used to have to go to the quarantine facility on Oahu and if you were from an outer island, you weren't even on the same island as your pet. Now, there's several quarantine facilities, I think there's one over in Puna. But, as you noted, it's still expensive and your dog is still locked up. It's much better to do the quarantine procedure on the mainland and then fly over with your dog. It's still gonna cost a lot, but your dog won't be away from you.

Follow the quarantine requirements precisely and you and Max should be happy in Hawaiian Acres soon enough.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfox799947 View Post
I haven't given up on my hopes to move yet.
I appreciate some of the great advice given here on this site.
As far as the cost to move my dog and cat, unfortunately $1000 to get each one there is not what I consider exorbitant amount, they are worth it to me. Call me crazy!
I am just happy that people who know better take valuable time out of their day to offer up priceless advise to help others.
Considering the cost of puppies and kittens these days, bringing over the pet you have isn't that much more expensive than getting a new one (not that you'd want to replace your pet).

Check into Alaska Airlines, I think they'll let you bring over a dog for a flat $100 fee, but I didn't look that up. You still have to do the quarantine and all, but the airline fees may possibly be lower.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:01 AM

65 posts, read 87,034 times
dogs were $226 Alaska cargo each from Portland to Kona(sorry, I know cargo, ugg). But I had to start a job and stay in a rental that did not allow pets and my wife had to stay behind to sell the house. So they flew by themselves. They did fine. vet meets them at the airport and checks them over immediately.

Plan to make a big chart that covers the time timeline for the pets. Not everything matches. For example, Alaska needs the vet clearance within 10 days of the flight, Hawaii needs it within 2 weeks. Alaska books pet cargo not more than 35 days out from the flight but has limited spots. My chart is about 2 pages long.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 PM

I think if you fly over with the dogs, then it's less expensive? It's only for dogs and probably cats, too, we wanted to bring back a small Shetland sheep and they said they couldn't ship it for the $100 per kennel rate because it wasn't a dog. Hmpf! Seems one kennel is one kennel and the sheep didn't even weigh as much as a dog. Maybe we should have gotten a poodle clip for the sheep and said it had laryngitis?

Old 07-26-2017, 06:30 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
LOL @ hotzcatz!
Another thing - check travel times with the Airlines. They won't let you ship a dog if it's too hot outside. So night flight or winter.
We shipped 2 dogs over, (they spent their "time" on a horse ranch in California) then brought a cat and small dog back in carry-ons and larger dog in cargo.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:52 AM

3 posts, read 2,628 times
Just saw a bumper sticker that read: RELAX, you're not on the mainland anymore.

Ive been here about a week and all the stuff that i was sooo worried about last week just wasnt that important. It was but it wasnt.
Before i sold everything i owned, said goodbye to my loved ones and tied up 3,000 loose ends i was a nervous wreck but today, i bolted on my 2 new Hawai'i license plates, ate some poke (delicious) and thought about how cool living on a sailboat with my dog and girlfriend might be.

Having said that, it is a planning nightmare to move but once you get here it is all worth it.

I guess my point is all the really hard and stressful and crazy and life or death decisions i made before i moved here were appropriate for the meat grinder life i lived on the mainland but that stress level is just so out of place here. Its weird. People like living here, heck, they love it and it rubs off.

Risking the ridicule of the nay sayers, i say just move. You WILL find a place to live, you WILL find gainful employment, you WILL probable have your beach towel stolen but just roll with it.

RELAX, you're not on the mainland anymore....

P.S. anybody got a small vacant lot for sale on Hilo side?
I need a place to live :-)

Old 07-27-2017, 03:42 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,598,734 times
Just happen to have one, a little over 13,000 sq. ft. Been partly cleared and cindered, has a paid-for water meter, has a large Avocado at the front. A little overgrown. In Hawaiian Beaches, Pahoa on Ono Street about 9 blocks from the ocean so no pesky CRR'S, build whatever you want. Did I mention it has a paid for water meter? Fresh water is a big thing here. PM Me if you're interested.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:43 PM

If you want to be seriously off grid, I've got an acre of lava land in Royal Gardens I'd sell cheap. Google 'Royal Gardens Hawaii' before getting too excited about it, though. Although, what with Pahoa almost getting covered with lava several years ago, they did rebuild the lower access road so now you could possibly get within walking distance to the lot and with GPS data it could probably even be found.

Old 08-01-2017, 05:42 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
"with Pahoa almost getting covered with lava several years ago"

That's a little dramatic. The flow threatened to cut off Pahoa (literally split it in two), not "cover it". You can take a drive past the transfer station and see how narrow the flow actually was. But for those who don't want to:

http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/wp...25map-USGS.jpg

Last edited by terracore; 08-01-2017 at 06:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island