Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 12:23 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times

Advertisements

I assumed they meant "Grown here, not flown here." Yeah, I've only seen one. I do see "Native Pride" and "Defend Hawaii" etc stickers but I've always interpreted them the same as "Lucky to be Irish" or similar you see on bumper stickers in other parts of the country. I'm sure some of them have a less pleasant meaning, but I'm not going to make a judgement based on a sticker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 04:09 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochansen69 View Post
i guess your being cute or funny, but this leads into the discussion on education. Hawaiian is a culture. Polynesian or Samoan are an ethnicity. but thanks for playing wheel of ignorance!

Besides ethnicity is about the culture you associate with, not your race so i will always be the race i am, but i can identify with whatever ethnicity i am comfortable with. So therefore your ethnic background does not change, but your ethnic foreground just depends on where you spend time and identify with, therefore I repeat

FUTURE HAWAIIAN!
You seem to be reluctant to the words of wisdom offered here even though you did come here in askance...
but you did pick up on how to spell one correct version of 'Hawaiian'...

A teeny step in the right direction..but many miles more to go.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:12 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
How long you've been here is ridiculously important to many people (not all) in Hawaii.

Literally, someone who's been here a year thinks they're superior to a guy who just arrived. A friend recently mentioned that she'd been here 12 years. I said, "Oh, we've been here the same amount of time," and she asked, "What month did you come?" She was serious!

By that standard, people of native Hawaiian blood come first, followed by locals (born here, often mixed-race from groups that were brought here as plantation workers), then folks who came here after birth and managed to blend in, followed by Malihini-more recent arrivals. And, of course, haolis, foreigners/outsiders/tourists/new arrivals, and people who just can't seem to fit in here.

So when you get here, you may be residents of Hawaii, but you won't be Hawaiian.

Me? I'm like the cockeyed mayor of Kaunakakai-- just a lazy malihini haole girl.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:29 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,448 times
It's mr.magoo, to you good sir.
No,I've made it quite clear in MANY prior posts ..I've never lived there..but have been spending at least 2 months out of the year, on Oahu, Maui, and Kauai every year since 1985.

I have never had the inclination to go to the BI.

I visit my Uncle, on Kauai, a retired Physician who ran a Social Service Ctr. mostly for poorer locals at no charge to them...he came to Kauai in 1957.

My braddah, teaches at a prestigious Private School in Honolulu.., you can guess what one.
He has been living on Oahu since 1981.

In 2006, as I mentioned in a prior post ,on my yearly visit I came looking for a place to buy...

Life had been good to me, some wise investments, a lucrative career in Law Enforcement with many promotions, and a small inheritance, so I was looking in the area of Hawaii Kai and Kailua.

As I mentioned before, the magic that I felt in the early years for the Islands started to dissipate, the traffic, crime, homelessness, the slow erosion of the Aloha Spirit (by people like you who spend a few years there and entrench your pink toes in the sand and think you own the place)

you say 'I've been here the WHOLE time' this is my home' is kind of nebulous,
could you qualify that remark?

Did you come over with Captain Cook, or on an outrigger from Polynesia?.., or where you there in the primeval days when the Islands were formed by spouting Volcanoes? :-)

Anyway, I decided that Hawaii was not the place for me, ( I know you will come up with what you think is a clever remark and say something like; 'Good, I'm glad you didn't move to MY Island!')

So I bought a second home in Rincón, Puerto Rico a lovely beach front property, happily, I just found out yesterday the it sustained some damage, but is basically intact...I will be out there as soon as the airports are operating at full capacity to assess the damage.

I will also be on Oahu in mid October, and flying over to Maui for a short visit.

Hope that answers you questions.

Aloha.
btw, your post has been reported... because you made a personal attack.

You Have to play by the rules, big guy.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 09-27-2017 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island