Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 12:28 PM

11 posts, read 7,221 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I hope you are doing fine! I am a student at UC Davis in California, I have a rain check ticket to Honolulu and shall use it this week ( Tuesday, December).

I am thinking of going to Honolulu first for 4 days and two days in Maui!

What do you think? After Maui, I am going to San Diego to meet my family.

I will travel by myself, what do you think? Are 4 days OK in Honolulu?

I want to see the city, beaches, but not into long hiking trips or visiting Volcanos or hidden waterfalls! I want a relaxing vacation!!

I want to visit Pearl Harbor for sure, I know I must google the places and I will. However, will I get your help with the days? and since I am in Honolulu I thought why not visiting Maui! ( I mean why not visiting 2 islands instead of one) I know nothing about the other islands!

I will check to live in Airbnb.

Advice?!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 12:38 PM

518 posts, read 763,769 times
If you're just gonna relax on a beach and be lazy and not too adventurous, why not spend all the time on 1 island? Much more relaxing that way. Oahu would be great. I would say it's only worth to go to Maui if you want to do more sigh-seeing or whale watching tours in Maui.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:43 PM

I see your point. I mean yes I do want to relax and discover accessible places (meaning easy to walk to like museums, Pearl Harbor, not waterfalls and mountains, hills).

So you see that it would be a better idea to skip Maui?

Do you think 4 days in Honolulu is OK? I usually walk up early morning and discover the area all day, my day is not wasted. Maybe 4 days is more than enough. Right?

Old 12-08-2017, 12:46 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
Agree with ginmqi, one island for only 6 days. Heck, I've done Only Kauaii (my favorite) for 14~18 days on 4 different occasions and never got tired of checking out a new beach to spend the day.

Maybe pick 2 spots on Oahu if you Really need a change in scenery. Trying to "do" Maui in 2 days is just asking for less relaxing/more drain on you. It'll still be there years from now, waiting till you have the time to devote to exploring/enjoying it.

Old 12-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Thanks! 6 days will do?

Old 12-08-2017, 01:27 PM

293 posts, read 361,549 times
I would highly recommend that you spend one whole day, and go visit the Poly Center (Polynesian Center) They have buses, your motel may have a ride there etc. You will really enjoy it, seeing the history of the islands, the people. Get a ticket for the Luau and the live show after wards. You won't regret it. Allow for the whole day to see it all and relax. Google it.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:54 PM

518 posts, read 763,769 times
Yeah definitely do Oahu (where Honolulu is located). Lot of walking/touring sites to see as you mentioned with Pearl harbor, Polynesian cultural center, waikiki, ala moana mall, iolani palace, etc.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:12 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPILOT View Post
I would highly recommend that you spend one whole day, and go visit the Poly Center (Polynesian Center)

You won't regret it.
Unless of course you drink alcohol - many a disappointed people have made the trek thinking there would be drinks with the show, nope.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:39 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Dalia, Honolulu is a big city on the island of Oahu. Granted, that's where Waikiki beach is, but to really "see" the island you should venture out of Honolulu. You can do a circle tour, or as others have suggested, spend a day at the Polynesian Center. And some time at Haleiwa on the north shore where the big waves are (at least in winter). And there's a gorgeous beach at Lanikai, across the island from Honolulu.

For Pearl Harbor you need to get tickets. Look at the TripAdvisor reviews for tips about this.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:16 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
I would just like to point out that Honolulu is not on the Big Island. I know that's a common mistake, but we have the land, they have the population.

I think you'll have a gas for 6 days on Oahu.

Do you like orchids? there are some great nurseries there. They can ship them for you; the plants will need to have a stamp from a certified nursery. You can also carry or ship cut flowers to the mainland, but they'll need to be inspected at the airport.

Oahu also is the most city-fied, so if you like nightlife and shopping and fine dining (or even just a great selection of all kine grinds), it's a great choice.

I like the big flea market at the Aloha Bowl; I think it's Wed or Thur plus weekends. Great for tacky souvenirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island