Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:42 AM

15 posts, read 24,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
There ARE a lot of people who live here part time and need someone to look after their property when they aren't here.

If they call it a farm, it probably isn't in Hilo. But they may not want to give an actual address until they feel comfortable with you; they've already told you they're gone half the year, you could go rip them off.

Meet with them, and if you feel they're for real, go for it. Maybe have a plan B in case it's a scam and you get here with no place to live...
Thank you so much. Plan B is in the works to be on the safe side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 03:35 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,093,487 times
I'm kinda wondering why they'd import a house sitter, we usually can find a friend already on the island to house/farm sit when we go on extended vacations. Having someone who is known as well as has local contacts in case they need help would seem to me to be a good thing in a house sitter.

However, if they spend half their time here an half on the mainland, they may not have a whole lot of friends who live here full time. Generally island folks don't really warm up to newcomers until they've been here a year or two since there's such a high turnover of newcomers. Not that folks will be mean to you or anything, but you won't just show up and become ohana.

If the house sitting gig doesn't work out, there's always the WWOOFing option, although that can have a wide variety of possible options. Anything from sleeping in a tent or in an old bus to an actual small house, depends on the farm and farmer. WWOOF is "Willing Worker on Organic Farms" and not all the farms are actually farms, some of them are more like gardens than farms. Not all of them are organic, either, but in exchange for some gardening work, hopefully you will be provided with a place to stay and sometimes a daily meal or some such. Usually not any money so that has to come from somewhere else. Not sure if it would be a good long term solution, but it may make an extended visit not cost a whole lot.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:09 AM

4 posts, read 4,797 times
I agree with the most people commenting on here, you can do a search easily as you both have a background of Seattle, it would not be that hard to find good and authentic persons linking to them. Another idea that came to my mind is, you must visit their property first. Take a friend with you and just check out he area, check whether they have servants there or you would be living alone, how is the neighborhood etc.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:03 PM

Almost guaranteed no servants living there or they'd not need to import a house sitter? There may be a yard service or cleaning service, though. I've done house sitting for folks who were on extended vacations and had those sorts of services done.

Any idea what part of the island their 'farm' is at? That may give a few hints. You'd also be able to Google Street view it perhaps.

If it works out, it may be an interesting way to get started on the island, but to actually 'live in Paradise' vacation here instead of live here. For a vacation it's pretty close to paradise, which may be why that's so popular. Living here is a whole 'nother matter.

Old 02-24-2018, 02:34 PM

10,928 posts, read 7,464,118 times
Just heard from a friend who put a Craigslist ad offering caretaking here on the BI; he got several responses, and will be caretaking in Kohala.

I guess there is an unfilled need here.

Old 02-27-2018, 11:20 AM

Update: I found a roommate in Hilo and will be moving soon. Thank you all for your fantastic shares and replies!

Old 02-27-2018, 12:13 PM

Good job on finding a room mate! That's a good way to start since you'll have someone to give you tips on how to live in Hilo.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:31 PM

960 posts, read 1,221,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt2five View Post
Update: I found a roommate in Hilo and will be moving soon. Thank you all for your fantastic shares and replies!
What happened with the people you were going to meet in Seattle who said they had a farm and wanted you to live there and take care of it ? Did they ever show up to meet you ?

Old 02-27-2018, 11:52 PM

3,981 posts, read 2,584,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
OK, maybe you don't have a ton of money after all.

I see no harm in pursuing this. Sounds like an ideal opportunity for you to see what living in Hawaii is like for cheap.
As previously mentioned, they probably just want you to mow the yard and maintain a presence to discourage theft.
Too good to be true? No, it's a likely, and common, scenario.
I know I am stating the obvious. And I can see the OP knows this. But...

Realistically why wouldn't they have set this up with a local resident??

Edit: I see your update. Good for you! You've vetted him, right? (Unless you know him personally.)

Last edited by Wild Flower; 02-28-2018 at 12:07 AM..

Old 03-05-2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
What happened with the people you were going to meet in Seattle who said they had a farm and wanted you to live there and take care of it ? Did they ever show up to meet you ?
We met at Starbucks and talked for a couple of hours. They were really nice people and were legit. I politely declined but we agreed to keep in touch, and I am welcomed to come visit anytime when I move over there. I've decided to pursue my own path with getting a place with a roommate, which I found a couple of weeks ago. Thank God I saved a lot of money from the past 4 years from my previous jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island