Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,174,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle_island View Post
I went ahead and chose a paid PO box in MT. View. It didn't say anything about a waitlist or being unavailable so I'm assuming I'll have a PO box waiting for us when we arrive(?). Thank you all for your advice!!
Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Often your expectations of what a company or service would do (such as inform you of a lack of availability), are the opposite of what happens here.
If it's important, I would try and confirm with someone that you do or do not have a po box waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 11:05 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,709,916 times
Agree with GK. I assume that you chose a PO box on-line. Until you actually talk with the Postmaster/Postmistress in person, there is no guarantee that there is a box waiting for you. This is based on personal experience -- I've found in our post office in Na'alehu that they don't always get information submitted on-line.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 PM

4,419 posts, read 4,950,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Informed delivery wasn't available in mountain view when I checked a few months ago. I get the impression that it often isn't available for p.o. boxes.

Go to https://informeddelivery.usps.com/bo...o/start.action put your zip code in and click to get notified when the service is available.

It is available for PO Boxes. In fact I think when it started it was available only for PO boxes.

When I worked for the PO almost 20 years ago, the backbone for the informed delivery technology was already in place, there just wasn't a lot of people with email addresses, and smart phones hadn't been invented yet. The technology was used at the sorting centers to scan the mail that couldn't be read by machines and then transmitting that image to a central location where a person would see the image on the screen, manually decipher the address, and then enter it into a computer and the mail would get a tiny barcode that the machines could read and automatically route it. I don't know this information first hand, but had been told that the images could also be used to track the type of correspondence that people were getting.

Fast forward to the future, and nobody sends paper mail any more, and they have all this scanning technology at the sorting centers sitting there doing nothing so somebody finally decided that they could send the images to the recipients (and not just the government) and add value to using the mail with very little cost because the technology being used was already decades old.

The point is, there isn't anything at the Mountain View post office that has anything to do with this technology or service and your mail has been getting scanned for years. The nearest sorting facility is in Honolulu. If the service is not yet available in your zip it must be because they are rolling out new "subscribers" at a rate commensurate with the system's ability to handle the added users.

I guess the Hilo post office was one of the pilot areas for this service because I've had it for years (they stuck a flyer in my box inviting me to sign up for it). It has been moderately useful. One time I was buying something from an online retailer and before I did I got my daily email with the "informed delivery" images and one of the scans was a postcard from the same retailer with a coupon code I was able to apply to my online order- without ever physically getting my mail.

Old 07-17-2018, 04:05 PM

11 posts, read 23,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
Often your expectations of what a company or service would do (such as inform you of a lack of availability), are the opposite of what happens here.
If it's important, I would try and confirm with someone that you do or do not have a po box waiting.
Thank you for everyone's advice! PO box confirmed and waiting for us!

Old 07-23-2018, 05:50 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,192,291 times
That is amazing as when I go in there no boxes.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:38 PM

4,419 posts, read 4,950,452 times
"That is amazing as when I go in there no boxes."

There might be a differential between no free boxes for locals due to no local mail delivery and those willing to pay for boxes. You can probably check and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island