Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:13 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,315,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
My response about volunteering was in response to Post #29 where Nyfinestbxtf said "I still want to work part time to keep my mind busy". Yes, he initially said that he would be interested in a part time job for a few extra bucks, but if he doesn't really think he needs extra money and only wants to keep busy, why not do something fulfilling and give back to the community? Especially in the poor rural areas such as Puna and Ka'u, where volunteering does make a difference.
Part time work would mostly be for keeping busy, but extra cash could be used for paying off student loans and purchase boards and kayaks. I do agree about volunteer work. That has always been a priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 03:02 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
That’s why I’ll find part time work and do volunteer work (most likely with a church). I know 45 is pretty young, but 20 years in LE is a long 20 years. It’s time for me to take it slow and easy. I’ll focus on my health, keep in shape, maybe learn how to surf. I’m pretty handy with fixing things around the house and updating. I also have minimal wood working skills that I can develope more. I would like to get into gardening too. I’ll be also focused on a lot of the missed time I had away from my family while in LE. Want to make up that time with my girls. Spend a little time by the beach (Black Sands was really nice), and once in a while make it out to Hapuna. We will also do some traveling too. I don’t mind the strangeness of the islands either, I actually like it. It is definitely more hippy dippy than what I’m use to, but I do what works for me and they do what works for them. I think different is a good thing even if we don’t see eye to eye. When visiting the BI and Kauai we kept our minds as open as we could to the differences and realistically asked ourselves “can we do this?” We came up with there are not many our in our position who can make such a move. My wife has a job that is in need in Hawaii and I will have a pension, so why not. Why not move to a place with a different lifestyle and a relaxing attitude? We also no longer want to deal with the winters and Hawaii has the perfect climate. I know a couple friends who retired out there and they love it. Some of our family and friends said we are crazy, but I say “yes we are. Why have regrets of never giving it a shot?”
Best wishes!

Old 08-19-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Best wishes!
Thanks man. It can’t hurt Hawaii having a few conservatives.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:21 PM

Roger that. MAGA!

Old 08-21-2018, 09:41 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,906,711 times
You said $5k after taxes? That is "upper class" in Puna. You'll do fine.

If you want to keep your body and mind sharp, buy a house with enough land (you can do it with 1 acre, but you might be happier with a few more, though in Hawaii there is such a thing as "too much" land) and "homestead", that is, start building out the infrastructure, fences, raised beds, maybe some greenhouses, etc and see how much of your own food you can grow and other ways to be self-reliant. Growing food can be just fruits/trees/veggies or even small livestock (rabbits, chickens, ducks, geese, goats, bees, sheep, etc). You will NEVER wonder what to do with your time, because you will never have enough of it. In a good way. There is nothing more satisfying than sitting the family down for dinner, and serving foods you created yourself.

We have a tradition on our small homestead that for Thanksgiving we ONLY eat 100% food raised on our farm. It took a few years to get to this point, but it brings a relevance to the holiday that never existed before. And as far as your volunteering spirit goes, there are many places to donate any food that you raise, any time of the year.

Old 08-22-2018, 09:17 PM

That would be the dream. I would have to say more property the better and I have seen some 20 acre plots for sale and a couple that are around 40 acres and more. They do seem to be completely off grid (which is fine) and the road to get to the larger lots does not seem to be really a road from Google Earth perspective. Building does seem overwhelming, but could be the better payoff in the end.

Old 08-23-2018, 02:19 AM

834 posts, read 1,218,079 times
Quote:
Thanks man. It can’t hurt Hawaii having a few conservatives.
There's a work-shy, repub, racist hippie culture in Hawaii which doesn't exist anywhere else in the USA.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
There's a work-shy, repub, racist hippie culture in Hawaii which doesn't exist anywhere else in the USA.
That sucks! As long as they love liberty we will get along just fine.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
Sounds like Dems to a T (well except for the Repub part), but you keep dreaming.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:31 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,038,603 times
Quote:
That would be the dream. I would have to say more property the better and I have seen some 20 acre plots for sale and a couple that are around 40 acres and more. They do seem to be completely off grid (which is fine) and the road to get to the larger lots does not seem to be really a road from Google Earth perspective. Building does seem overwhelming, but could be the better payoff in the end.
Check for soil before making your farming plans. Frequently vegetation will be growing in leaf litter on lava rock so just having trees and such growing on it doesn't mean there's any depth of soil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island