Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 04:59 PM

293 posts, read 191,414 times

Advertisements

Renaissance faires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 09:18 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
In-N-Out Burger even though I didn't eat them very often.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:03 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
Cons: .., biting gnats..
They don't exist in Hawaii. I'm wondering what is biting you, other than mosquitoes? Nice post though.

Snowbirding is a good way to go if you can swing it. That way you shouldn't be missing anything for too long. Many Alaskans either snowbird or vacation regularly in Hawaii.

Mainland? Parts of it may be fun to visit, but I would be perfectly content to only travel between the 49th and 50th states.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:56 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Cheap steakhouse like Bonanza and Ponderosa (which are also harder to find in Mainland).

Texas style BBQ -- the only one here in Wahiawa has closed.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:55 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
After 12 years on the Big Island, with few mainland trips, I've come to the Midwest for medical care.
I miss the Big Island sometimes, but I didn't live there. We like Waikoloa Village the best, at about 900 feet elevation. It's dry, so theres no mosquitoes, and few bugs. There's a lot of green due to all the irrigation. It's a little breezy there, which we really liked. Not that far to the best beach on the Big Island, Hapuna Beach State Recreation Area, and not too far to Kona for shopping. The farmer's market in Hilo was worth the drive on the improved Saddle road. Not much traffic compared to the big metropolitan cities.

It looks like from your status updates, you had to go to or go back to Minnesota for your health care. Maybe the health care on Oahu wasn't good enough. Many people say that the health care in Minnesota is very good. But a lot of other things are bad in Minnesota, like the weather, most of the year and high taxes.

At least you were able to spend 12 years the Big Island when your health was better. That's the problem with Hawaii, besides the high cost of living and extreme isolation, is the very bad health care. Maybe you could be a snowbird, and live in Hawaii part time, unless you need to stay closer to good health care all the time.

Several years ago, I overheard another patient, that was older and probably retired, at the dental office tell the dentist that she was going in Hawaii, to the Big Island, at the end of the week. It was November. The dentist asked her how long she was going to stay in Hawaii. She said that she would return to Minnesota in May, after all the snow had melted, and it warmed up. That's the life! To not be stuck in the snow belt in the winter!

Old 12-18-2018, 01:06 PM

69 posts, read 76,882 times
I miss the big banging thunderstorms of the Midwest, reasonable grocery prices, fireflies, and the late summer evenings with day light. That is about all.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:57 AM

181 posts, read 175,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
In-N-Out Burger even though I didn't eat them very often.
OMG I love those burgers - definitely will miss a Double Double

Old 12-19-2018, 06:48 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,161,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
OMG I love those burgers - definitely will miss a Double Double
It's no In n Out, but Punalu'u Bakery has a pretty good burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island