Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 12:44 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freespirit View Post
There are new black sand beaches (a few of them) and a couple new tide pools from this last eruption. If these black sand beaches stay I could see the state/county putting roads in to them for tourist and locals.

Once fissure #8 is considered totally done. Even making a road up towards the vent and the lava river bed this eruption created, for tourist to see and witness.

These could/would be a big draw for the Puna side of the island.
What makes you believe that the activity in the ERZ is Pau (and not just temporarily paused). In less, possibly much less, than 4 years, there will likely be another vent/fissure open up. In 2014 PuuOo almost wiped out Pahoa, and now fissures 1-31 with #8 sustaining for quite some time.

Last edited by Open-D; 08-14-2018 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 06:20 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Yes, was - next was Dole Plantation - then Pearl Harbor, all with around 1.8+ million visitors per year. The largest draw in the entire state is Ala Moana Mall at 42 million annual visitors.

I see little impact to the Kona side long term. Hilo is going to take the biggest hit, it was by far Hawaiian Airlines busiest day trip route mostly people going to the park.
Some friends went to Costco the other day and reported back that the sky in Kona was vog free! Haven't seen a really clear day in Kona in years. If Fissure 8 has drained most of the lava from the caldera and it's not creating as much vog anymore, then most likely Kailua-Kona will be revived as a major tourist destination. Shootz, we may even go there for more than just Costco.

How many of the annual visitor numbers for Ala Moana shopping center are local folks? I know a lot of folks that go there to hang out or eat at food court. I used to go there to walk up and down for exercise since window shopping is more interesting than walking on most sidewalks. That was two floors, one or two annex wings and all those crazy condos in the parking lot ago, though.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:36 PM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Some friends went to Costco the other day and reported back that the sky in Kona was vog free! Haven't seen a really clear day in Kona in years. If Fissure 8 has drained most of the lava from the caldera and it's not creating as much vog anymore, then most likely Kailua-Kona will be revived as a major tourist destination...
It's true about the sky and I agree, except that Volcanoes Park needs to re open for a full revival.

Perhaps by this coming winter, if eruption stays quiet?

Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
What makes you believe that the activity in the ERZ is Pau (and not just temporarily paused). In less, possibly much less, than 4 years, there will likely be another vent/fissure open up. In 2014 PuuOo almost wiped out Pahoa, and now fissures 1-31 with #8 sustaining for quite some time.

Quite possible. However, this would be out of the norm for historical lower east rift zone eruption activity. That is, long term eruptions rather than brief episodes followed by long periods of inactivity.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:34 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
“Talk Story with the Park”

What: The community is invited to share ideas about the future of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park and what the visitor experience might be like during a series of informal meetings slated for Pāhoa, Volcano, Pāhala and Kahuku.

Who: Anyone who is interested in the future of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park. Park Superintendent Cindy Orlando and other park managers will share the latest news about what’s going on in the park.

When & Where:
• Tin Shack Bakery in Pāhoa, Thurs., Aug. 16 at 3 p.m.
• Pāhala Plantation in Pāhala, Fri., Aug. 17 at 5 p.m.
• Volcano Art Center’s Niaulani Campus, Tues., Aug. 21 at 1 p.m.
• Kahuku Unit of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, Thurs., Aug. 23 at 10 a.m.

Why: Most of the park has been closed since May 11, after elevated activity at Kīlauea Volcano created hazardous conditions for staff and visitors. Park management will share their plans for recovery.

I'll try to remember to report back here after attending the meeting on the 23rd.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:38 AM

575 posts, read 1,198,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
“Talk Story with the Park”

What: The community is invited to share ideas about the future of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park and what the visitor experience might be like during a series of informal meetings slated for Pāhoa, Volcano, Pāhala and Kahuku.

Who: Anyone who is interested in the future of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park. Park Superintendent Cindy Orlando and other park managers will share the latest news about what’s going on in the park.

When & Where:
• Tin Shack Bakery in Pāhoa, Thurs., Aug. 16 at 3 p.m.
• Pāhala Plantation in Pāhala, Fri., Aug. 17 at 5 p.m.
• Volcano Art Center’s Niaulani Campus, Tues., Aug. 21 at 1 p.m.
• Kahuku Unit of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park, Thurs., Aug. 23 at 10 a.m.

Why: Most of the park has been closed since May 11, after elevated activity at Kīlauea Volcano created hazardous conditions for staff and visitors. Park management will share their plans for recovery.

I'll try to remember to report back here after attending the meeting on the 23rd.
Please do report back. I'm planning a return trip in April and Haw Vol Nat Park is usually the reason I return. I guess most of the hiking trails will not be affected?

So, the caldera has completely drained?

What about Puo'o?

Old 08-15-2018, 09:02 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,109,209 times
Have new roads ever been constructed directly on top of existing lava? It'd be rather nice if they could be.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoDan View Post
Please do report back. I'm planning a return trip in April and Haw Vol Nat Park is usually the reason I return. I guess most of the hiking trails will not be affected?

So, the caldera has completely drained?

What about Puo'o?

Perhaps the Kilauea crater loop has been affected and may remain closed indefinitely, due to the collapse of Halemaumau.

I don't believe they know for sure, but don't think that either caldera or Pu'u O'o are considered completely drained.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
Have new roads ever been constructed directly on top of existing lava? It'd be rather nice if they could be.
On Big Isle, pretty much all roads are built over existing lava.

I think what you're saying is if shortcuts have ever been taken in the standard preparation for a paved highway to keep costs down. Dunno about that-probably not.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:14 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
There are roads in the park that have been torn up by all the movement. And trails, such as the one into Kilauea Iki, have been damaged by falling rocks. We’ve heard that the Jaggar Museum may never reopen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island