Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 03:37 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times

Advertisements

Catchment Water Systems - February 15, 2002

There is a publication available that addresses most of the questions you may have about catchment water: Guidelines on Rainwater Catchment Systems for Hawaii. Try requesting one through the website above. If for some reason it is unavailable, let me know and I will find a copy for you...Many who have the newer filtration systems are comfortable drinking the water, many fill bottles for drinking water from public taps as leilaniguy mentioned (a friend who is renting in Glenwood stops by my house fairly regularly to fill up bottles on his way through town), and there is the option of the home water coolers with re-fillable containers. (Theoretically, all drinking water is catchment water if you take time to trace it back!)

Old 07-09-2007, 07:24 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
There is a publication available that addresses most of the questions you may have about catchment water: Guidelines on Rainwater Catchment Systems for Hawaii. Try requesting one through the website above. If for some reason it is unavailable, let me know and I will find a copy for you...Many who have the newer filtration systems are comfortable drinking the water, many fill bottles for drinking water from public taps as leilaniguy mentioned (a friend who is renting in Glenwood stops by my house fairly regularly to fill up bottles on his way through town), and there is the option of the home water coolers with re-fillable containers. (Theoretically, all drinking water is catchment water if you take time to trace it back!)
Help save a tree, here's a link to the PDF of Guidelines on Rainwater Catchment Systems for Hawaii.
http://www2.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/RM-12.pdf

Old 07-10-2007, 12:16 AM

9 posts, read 37,667 times
Excellent tip for easy drinking water. My son's job at Fertile Ground guest house in Olympia was to bike downtown to the city water tap - which was tapped in to underground fresian wells - with the big glass jugs on the back of his bike, and fill up for the week. This tip has saved me from having to get a spendy UV system for the catchment tank, at least not for a while. Anyone have a 3-wheel bike (old people bike) for sale, with a big basket on the back? I'm motivated. Still can't find any liability or umbrella coverage for my property. So my solution is" fuhgeddaboudit." Seems that most others do.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:38 AM

90 posts, read 279,710 times
Yurts are a great alternative to the high cost of building here. They can be permitted and withstand the weather very well here. Can get a full set up minus appliances and such for around 30k. Something to think about!
~M

Old 07-10-2007, 11:56 PM

9 posts, read 37,667 times
Does anyone have any advice or native wisdom about staph infections ? My son in Puna told me today he has staph on different parts of his body. I said to go immediately to the Pahoa clinic and get antibiotics, as my understanding is it's a very serious condition - especially in the tropics. He says he's going to take care of it with fasting, herbs, etc (maybe noni?) What's the common wisdom on this (I'm still on the mainland)?

Old 07-11-2007, 01:42 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Herbs are fine, but I would still urge him to go to the clinic to be sure. He may have something else. Tropical maladies can become serious.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:12 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2007/06/27/local_news/local02.txt (broken link)
This link is to a June article dealing with paving roads in Hawaiian Paradise Park. A good read for anyone wondering about how things are progressing in Puna and how folks feel about the changes...

Old 07-11-2007, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,293 times
me andmy husbund are buying in this addition, Nanawalie Estates and we are going to build a cabin hopefully without been seen no permits ext.
we are going to build it ourselves do you think that should be a problem? what should i watch out for and how to go about it with out getting in trouble?

Old 07-12-2007, 01:08 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
The Nanawale HOA will give you a hard time. They have amateur spies with nothing better to do than to report you. Chances are they will call the county, stop you & file suit, they've done it before. I'd recommend buying a lot in Blacksands Beach or one of the subs. off hwy 11 where there are no covenants or restrictions.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:32 AM

376 posts, read 489,978 times
As a lot owner of Nanawale, they require looking at your building permits/plans and it has to be ok'd prior to building. The main thing they are looking for, I think it that you follow the convenants which are super simple. They mostly want the dwelling to be a minimum of 880 sq. ft. You should have received a copy of the covenants and if you do not have them, you can contact the HOA and they can send you a copy. (I think they also may be available either on their website or via an email through them by adobe reader.
I plan on building there as well. I know that to make the community up to par, I would want to follow the covenants. I really do not think that they are asking a whole lot at this time, as I have seen some real serious fighting going on here locally, [I am currrently living in the Scottsdale area of Phoenix, and talk about restrictions!] I had one friend have their "secret police" send her notice after notice about a weed that was hidden in her rocks that needed to be pulled. It was a mess. There are also subdivisions that micromanage who can park near your home, etc. I am going to see if I can find the link to the current covenants. Bless you all. [my potential neighbors!]
Julie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island