Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:45 AM

5 posts, read 21,361 times

Advertisements

A big MAHALO to all of you for your input. Am now embarking on my 5th visit to the Big ( and other ) islands in search of a getaway home. Your comments have been extremely helpful in painting a clear and unbiased picture of this new ( and somewhat forbidding) landscape.

Much Obliged!
Linn

Old 08-18-2007, 09:57 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,303,217 times
Searching for property from the mainland can be a bit daunting...there are so many aspects of the search and purchase that are unique to Hawaii real estate. And if you are looking on the Big Island, it is just...well, BIG!!

Finding an agent with whom you are comfortable working is just the first step, although a very important one. After that, you and your agent will likely have quite a way to go to identify that one particular property that will fit your budget, and, just as importantly, your personality and lifestyle.

The simple truth is: yes... we can help anyone who asks to locate a property for which they will pay only $30,000-$50,000. But the some of the questions that are so much more important--and that take time to explore--are:

1)Do you understand what it means to have catchment water? Are you prepared to pay SSPP to have power? (SSPP=Special Subdivision Power Policy--required in several subdivisions unless you are planning to live off-grid.)

2)Are you prepared to live in a subdivision without enforced CC&Rs in order to have larger acreage rather than in a subdivision with CC&Rs but have only maybe 12,000 sq ft-1 acre of land? How will you really feel if your neighbors have a few junk cars on their front lawn? If they are raising chickens or feeding wild pigs on their property?

3)Do you need to be near health-care facilities and grocery stores, or are you comfortable being 45 min to 1 1/2 hours from significant commercial development?

4)How do you feel about living in a very rainy area? Or an area that gets very little rain and can be very dry most of the year?

5)Do you really want to move to a new place and undertake a building project right away--especially if you have never built a home before--or would you be better served purchasing an existing home and testing the waters for a while until you are on solid ground in this new place?

6)If you are considering a special use for your property, are you familiar with zoning regulations? Building codes? The permit process?

The search for the right property can be quite a bit of fun and a great way to get to know the island, but answering these questions can take a significant investment of time and energy. This forum is a great place to start, but finding an agent who knows the lay of the land can really help you narrow down your search area based on your personal needs...and there are plenty of us out there who very much enjoy what we do and who will be happy to help in whatever way we can!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:41 AM

3 posts, read 12,896 times
I live at about 500 ft, never need a heater, but in jan-Feb often need an extra blanket, sometimes gets down to 58 deg. in the middle of night, but by morning it is back up to 70's. It's hot now, (August).

Old 09-01-2007, 06:04 AM

3 posts, read 12,896 times
I bought an old house built in 73, lived in it 8 years, sold it recently, never had problem with post and pier foundation, the house had been through several larger earthquakes with no damage. I think that is the way to go for earthquakes, the house just goes with the flow, a slab foundation could crack.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 25,023 times
I live in Kona, have always lived in Kona. I dream of Montana and casting a fly rod, life is funny huh!!! Leilaniguy you certainly are knowledgeable about Puna, as is the Kolohe Realtor, hahaha. Very interesting posts-------

A Hui Hou------------

Old 09-04-2007, 10:03 PM

376 posts, read 490,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison50 View Post
I live in Kona, have always lived in Kona. I dream of Montana and casting a fly rod, life is funny huh!!!
Grass is always greener, isn't it?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:01 AM

11 posts, read 44,823 times
Hi Everyone. Mike here from Oregon. Yes it rains here to. I have read the quotes here and a few things come to mind. Why dont I here people wining from hana or Kauai about the mold that you get in your houses ? There is mold in Oregon but Its not the end of the world. As far as it making your wood furniture crack , doesnt the wood have a protective finnish on it? Polyurentane would work well.
The only island I have been to is Maui , maybe 7 times. The big island sounds very interesting and I would love to buy something there. I think I would love it? Unless I had a neighbor that was a conplainer. The only other reason I could see why someone might tell you all the negitive stuff about a place is they dont want anymore people coming over? I would imagine a place like Puna has its share of anti social people and there tricks.
One other thing, As far is being an outsider and the locals being mean to them. I think the locals better think agian when messing with me. I like to play to. What ever happen to the song this land is your land this land is my land.
Be good.
Mike

Old 09-13-2007, 06:11 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times
Hi Mike, I'm from Oregon too. It isn't the rain that's different here in Puna, it's the humidity that can reach 100% at times. Not all furniture falls apart here, solid wood holds up, but veneer and inlay work pops apart from the damp. I brought an antique burlwood topped table when I moved 8 years ago and took it to the dump after about 4 years. It had a good finish, but delaminated and warped anyway. I really didn't care. I've probably thrown out half of everything I originally brought, some rotted, some rusted over, but mostly because it was just useless here. There's better things to do with life here than worry about furniture and "stuff". Puna isn't a good place for fussy people who are attached to their belongings. Visit Puna next time you come to Hawaii, you might like it here. Oh, and about the locals; I've been treated better here than I ever was in my old hometown, and have more friends.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:06 AM

11 posts, read 44,823 times
Default Thanks

Hi Leilaniguy, I thank you for your reply. Yes the humidity is higher there. I was from the east coast before I came to Oregon and I know all about humidity. But anyway I dont have Alot of Inlayed stuff nor would I have anything that could not be replaced. . I Know I would love any where in Hawaii, Even wet puna. Really Hana would be my first pick but I just cant seem to come up with the money it would take to move there. I dont think I would move to Hawaii unless i could pay cash for something. So I wouldnt Have to worry about how much money i would need to make. One other point. I think you could be happy anywhere if you have someone to share your love with. Really Life is good anywhere when you have alot of love in your heart.
Thanks again.
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
Hi Mike, I'm from Oregon too. It isn't the rain that's different here in Puna, it's the humidity that can reach 100% at times. Not all furniture falls apart here, solid wood holds up, but veneer and inlay work pops apart from the damp. I brought an antique burlwood topped table when I moved 8 years ago and took it to the dump after about 4 years. It had a good finish, but delaminated and warped anyway. I really didn't care. I've probably thrown out half of everything I originally brought, some rotted, some rusted over, but mostly because it was just useless here. There's better things to do with life here than worry about furniture and "stuff". Puna isn't a good place for fussy people who are attached to their belongings. Visit Puna next time you come to Hawaii, you might like it here. Oh, and about the locals; I've been treated better here than I ever was in my old hometown, and have more friends.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:06 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
(Thread drift ...closed. Feel free to start a new thread on any new topic.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island