Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 10:19 PM

32 posts, read 32,307 times

Advertisements

aloha all, I’m looking into home insurance with State Farm, USAA, and First Insurance Company of Hawaii. Has anyone had difficulty get paid out due to lava/fire/hurricane from any of these companies? Do they require tons of photos and receipts for payouts? I don’t have receipts for what I had shipped here. I am leaning towards State Farm unless anybody has another company they recommend. Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 07:21 AM

181 posts, read 175,809 times
What lava zone are you in? I don’t have any experience with getting paid out, but I know that State Farm only insures homes in lava zone E and above. I just called them for a quote and that’s what they told me.
However I did find out that some insurance companies specifically exclude lava insurance unless you pay an additional premium for it. It’s separate from regular fire insurance.
We are currently in southern California, but will be closing escrow on our home in Ocean View next week. I heard that State Farm stepped up to take care of people who lost their homes in the Thomas Fire in Ventura county.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:10 AM

10,555 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
What lava zone are you in? I don’t have any experience with getting paid out, but I know that State Farm only insures homes in lava zone E and above.
E? Never heard of that designation. You mean 3? 1-9 are the typical designations on the Big Island, with 1 being in the rift zone and 2 directly down slope from it.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
E? Never heard of that designation. You mean 3? 1-9 are the typical designations on the Big Island, with 1 being in the rift zone and 2 directly down slope from it.
yeah its that FAT FINGER..LOL, I meant "3 and above"

Old 10-02-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadrid View Post
yeah its that FAT FINGER..LOL, I meant "3 and above"
Thanks. So, what are your plans-did you find someone else to insure your zone 2 property?

Old 10-02-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Thanks. So, what are your plans-did you find someone else to insure your zone 2 property?
Yes, Hawaii Property and Casualty provided a quote that wasn't too bad. Included Hurricane and Lava insurance for the house in Ocean View. However I'm still checking other places before we commit.

What I am really in need of is reasonable Auto Insurance.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:19 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
Lava is considered "earth movement" similar to riders they have for earthquake or landslide damage which is not covered in normal insurance. If lava causes your house to catch fire then your homeowners insurance covers it the same as if the fire was caused by a space heater. If the lava destroys your house without igniting it, then it's "earth movement" and not covered unless you have lava insurance. There were a lot of homes made unlivable in Leilani due to giant cracks or fissures and no lava. This is another form of earth movement.

You might need to call an insurance broker who can arrange to have a standard policy through one company and hurricane or earth movement coverage through another, which is sometimes cheaper than getting both coverages from a single company.

"What I am really in need of is reasonable Auto Insurance." Unfortunately Hawaiian politicians have made this impossible. They made it illegal for insurance companies to offer any substantial discounts because they thought it was discriminatory against the people who didn't get the discounts. So everybody pays the higher, undiscounted rates. For example in every other state USAA is the cheapest, but still best, automotive insurance you can get, so much so that other agencies won't even offer you a quote when they learn you have it. In Hawaii, USAA is one of the most expensive because they can't give the good discounts.

"Has anyone had difficulty get paid out due to lava/fire/hurricane from any of these companies?"

There are different types of hurricane insurance. The cheapest and most common type only cover damage to the structure. So for example if the hurricane blows your catchment tank over they won't cover it. Most people who have hurricane insurance only have it because their lending institution requires it or if they live in an area (like near the beach) that is more likely to get hurricane damage.

Last edited by terracore; 10-02-2018 at 12:31 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
.. In Hawaii, USAA is one of the most expensive because they can't give the good discounts..
Can you give general ballpark figures as to what you feel constitutes expensive and/or reasonable auto insurance rates in Hawaii?

Old 10-02-2018, 12:45 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
I recently shopped around for new auto insurance. I currently have USAA because that is what I had in Alaska and never got around to switching it. Progressive and Geico were the cheapest. I went through a broker that compared many different companies. As for ballpark figures, I have 3 different vehicles, one with liability only, one with liability and comprehensive, and one with liability, comprehensive, and collision, and I don't remember the breakdowns any more.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:19 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,903,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post

"What I am really in need of is reasonable Auto Insurance." Unfortunately Hawaiian politicians have made this impossible. They made it illegal for insurance companies to offer any substantial discounts because they thought it was discriminatory against the people who didn't get the discounts. So everybody pays the higher, undiscounted rates. For example in every other state USAA is the cheapest, but still best, automotive insurance you can get, so much so that other agencies won't even offer you a quote when they learn you have it. In Hawaii, USAA is one of the most expensive because they can't give the good discounts.

On Oahu, my car insurance is cheaper than San Francisco - and comparable to Portland, OR - I get substantial discounts - safe driver, anti-theft, etc, etc, etc....I use Allstate.

As far as USAA - I did have to switch when I moved to Hawaii - it is indeed, in my experience, not competitive. If I recall correctly, and this is nearly 10 years ago, they have no agents/locations in Hawaii and they use different underwriters in Hawaii than the mainland. I don't recall any politician or law prohibiting USAA from offering discounts, I always took it as they aren't terribly interested in the Hawaii market....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island