Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 04:55 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,695,713 times

Advertisements

Rain Monkey, I love your humor!

If you are looking for crafts or jewelry, I recommend Cafe Ono in Volcano Village. Ira, the owner, is an artist and everything in his shop is made by local artists. You can find some really nice things there, most of which is inexpensive.

Hopefully the town of Pahoa is not too far out of your way. Merchants there suffered greatly with the volcano and are trying to recover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 11:27 AM

451 posts, read 413,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Rain Monkey, I love your humor!

If you are looking for crafts or jewelry, I recommend Cafe Ono in Volcano Village. Ira, the owner, is an artist and everything in his shop is made by local artists. You can find some really nice things there, most of which is inexpensive.

Hopefully the town of Pahoa is not too far out of your way. Merchants there suffered greatly with the volcano and are trying to recover.
DoH, thanks for the head re Cafe Ono in Volcano Village/Pahoa. Sounds very much like the kind of place we might find something of interest. A drive from Hilo shouldn't be too onerous. I suspect about the same distance when driving from Honolulu to the North Shore. For these long distance trips, I suspect Mrs. Rain Monkey will want to bring a cooler, obento, musubi or three and pack an extra T-shirt for me and slippers for both of us, as well as ensure I top off the tank and check the air in the tires before departing....Thanks once again!

Old 10-18-2018, 10:13 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,695,713 times
Rain Monkey, please don't confuse Volcano Village with Pahoa. Everything I told you about is in Volcano Village, which is located across Highway 11 from the HVNP. The town of Pahoa is 31 miles south of Hilo. Although maybe that's why you have to load the car up, if you are cruising around VV and then Pahoa...

Old 10-18-2018, 11:51 PM

451 posts, read 413,957 times
DoH, my sincere apologies for the confusion. I am aware of difference in locations of Pahoa and Volcano Village, however that was profoundly ambiguous in my reply above. My only excuse is the joy of having a three year old granddaughter, who is staying with us while her parents are on the mainland, decide to start her (and our) day at about 5:15 AM by jumping on our bed. I really shouldn't be allowed to write anything before my first eight cups of coffee, and I obviously hadn't got to six before tying sentences into knots rather too early this AM.

I am not entirely sure of its origin, however we seemed to have been afflicted by the 'load the car' syndrome for any car travel involving journeys of 30+ miles or there abouts. You'd think we were driving from Des Moines, IA to Chicago. We used to do the same thing years ago when our adult children were kids and we would head up to the North Shore or Makaha for the day. Now they do it too. Nothing more aggravating than packing four beach towels that return unused, however Mrs. Rain Monkey insists I wash and dry because they rode shotgun in the rear of the car.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:57 AM

10,919 posts, read 7,443,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I'm curious why anyone would think there would be a lot of Xmas stuff on the BI - only about 40% of the BI identifies with a religion - and only roughly 25% Christian.....
But in Hilo, it seems like there's a church on every corner.

The farmers market at Maku'u on Sunday usually has original crafts. Ditto for the Saturday and Wednesday market in Hilo, but that might have changed recently.

https://www.konaweb.com/calendar/index.shtml is a calendar of events for the BI.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:48 PM

32 posts, read 32,543 times
There is Kamahalo craft fair Friday Nov. 23 and Saturday Nov. 24 at Volcano's Cooper Center. I'm excited to check it out!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island