Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:39 PM

10,672 posts, read 7,887,873 times

Advertisements

It's possible we could drive down into Waipio since vehicle has 4WD and low range, but not sure this is what we want, or if it would be safe overnight.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2018, 11:00 AM

Crickets! Well, better than Coquis. I have an idea that requires spending money....

Old 10-21-2018, 04:30 PM

5,531 posts, read 12,715,643 times
I guess no-one here has spent the night there. We parked at the top, walked down and across the beach and then up the other side (and then walked back up to the Waipio overlook where we had parked). But not down into Waimanu Valley. Ours was just a day hike. If you are comfortable driving down, then I suppose you could just do a day hike into Waimanu and not leave your vehicle overnight.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:11 PM

Thanks, but I don't know about a one day hike in and out for a sexagenarian. Sounds like it's not exactly easy going.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/h...u-valley-trail

Old 10-21-2018, 09:27 PM

172 posts, read 147,720 times
Leaving your car at the top parking lot is not advised. The Honokaa criminal element are watching. The bottom is much safer. Take everything of value out of the vehicle and take the ignition fuse out so you know your vehicle will be there when you return. (Hopefully so will the tires and wheels) lol. I even used to put a small sign on the dashboard stating there was nothing of value in the vehicle and i lived there. I lived on the BI for over 15 years and hiked everywhere and left my car at all the spots. Never had it broken into. BTW Waimanu is no day hike. It can be a muddy, slippery ball-buster and hot as sin. Take lots of water and a filtration kit. Amazing hike

Old 10-21-2018, 11:27 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Thanks, but I don't know about a one day hike in and out for a sexagenarian. Sounds like it's not exactly easy going.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/h...u-valley-trail
Nope, not really a one day hike. I know some folks who hike in for a week but they're all Millennials. Not sure how a Millennial can manage that much time without wi-fi, but they manage it. They keep threatening to organize kayak rides for the rest of us that aren't Z trail ready.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:04 AM

65 posts, read 68,104 times
Hey, if you do end up going to Waimea or that area, make *sure* you bring a sturdy tent, and I would personally bring a bug zapper. I'm pretty sure you're going to get swarmed by blister beetles, or false blister beetles which are the same problem. They are relatively large bugs that don't bite but do leave behind a chemical on your skin that burns you, causing blisters. They come out at night, and disappear by morning.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:43 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
What do blister beetles look like? I've never seen them. They sound worse than flying cockaroaches.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:02 AM

74 posts, read 74,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
What do blister beetles look like? I've never seen them. They sound worse than flying cockaroaches.
Here ya go... https://fireflyforest.net/firefly/20...lister-beetle/

Puna is full of them. They are more annoying than anything as they are clumsy fliers but good at finding their way into the house, where they typically die in a day or so. We've only gotten blisters when we smack them. We use the vacuum cleaner attachment to suck them off the ceiling and their corpses off the floor.

In my experience, you DON'T want to use a conventional bug zapper. These a guys are very attracted to the UV light (and all lights for that matter), but rarely oblige by actually getting zapped... they just like to hang around the light, not fly into it. Your best bet (both home and camping) is to keep lighting to a minimum, and doors tightly closed.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:01 AM

268 posts, read 385,596 times
We had them at our rental in Hilo. They came out at night and gathered on the living room ceiling where the lamp light shone. There were dozens and it was unnerving sitting on the couch with them above. The 2 house geckos wanted nothing to do with them (understandably).

We started leaving a hall light on and all other lights off when we went out to draw them away so when we got back they would be in a different part of the house. They looked a bit different than the one in the link above.
Attached Thumbnails
Waimanu valley hike-where to park?-e321b6d0-6e5d-495d-a483-443c0a65761c.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island