Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 02:13 PM

84 posts, read 152,425 times

Advertisements

I keep getting notices from the Island of Hawai'i Visitors Bureau saying: "The Island of Hawai'i expanded it's coastline from Kilauea's lava flow. Come see the new views."

I know about many the places that have been covered by Madame Pele. But don't know anything about the reconstruction of roads or access in the area. Puna is one of my favorite places to visit, and for multiple reasons we were not able to spend time there in the last few years before the lava flow in 2018. I am wondering if any of you know what the situation is now that the flows have stopped for months. Any recommendations or ideas of what the new normal is now? We will be back in July and would love to respectfully visit accessible new land, as well as return to the beautiful places that may still be along Red Road. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 05:01 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,166,511 times
There's a new black sand beach adjacent to the Pohiki boat ramp. Not sure how road accessible it is though.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:24 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,679,652 times
The new road to Pohoiki will be opening soon. Can't remember, but I think within a week or two.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:27 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,166,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
The new road to Pohoiki will be opening soon. Can't remember, but I think within a week or two.
December 6th

Old 11-28-2018, 09:44 AM

181 posts, read 176,235 times
We traveled along Government Beach Rd in October after it was recently repaved. It was a beautiful drive but we had to turn around at the road block at Papaya Farms Rd. I believe that road block is not there any longer.
We also drove along Hwy 132 out of Pahoa towards Lava Tree State Monument but we were only able to go a little more than a mile before we came up to the road block and had to turn around. Again, that one may not be there any longer.
Best of luck in your adventures.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:58 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
Friend of mine went into Leilani the other day to see the lava, but he went in with a Leilani resident. He said that wasn't open yet to the general public. He also mentioned it was amazing and kinda awful, as well as awe full.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:27 PM

84 posts, read 152,425 times
Thanks guys! My heart breaks for the people and animals that were affected by the lava flow. And, I can't wait to be in the Puna area again. It's been too long!

Old 12-14-2018, 11:23 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
Met some tourists the other day who said they'd been to the 'new black beach'. They'd said there were lifeguards although they said they thought that was more to keep folks out of the water since it was a steep beach with a possible undertow. But, that's just from a non-islander point of view, it may look a lot different through other eyes. Also, it may not be the new beach in Puna, sometimes tourists get areas confused. But, it sounded hopeful that the area may be available to use again.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:51 PM

10,571 posts, read 7,781,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Met some tourists the other day who said they'd been to the 'new black beach'. They'd said there were lifeguards although they said they thought that was more to keep folks out of the water since it was a steep beach with a possible undertow. But, that's just from a non-islander point of view, it may look a lot different through other eyes. Also, it may not be the new beach in Puna, sometimes tourists get areas confused. But, it sounded hopeful that the area may be available to use again.
Yes, it's somewhat steep both out of water and in, so I'm afraid it will never be a good swimming beach.

Lifeguard said the murky water hides rocks underneath that are no fun to bang up against, as he displayed bruises on his legs. Still, there were a couple guys boogie boarding it on the south end when we were there last week. Inland there are couple ponds of water closed off by the flow that weren't being played in.

It's a long drive in either way you go, and the folks living along Pohoiki road are not happy at all about the increased traffic in their neighborhood.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:20 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,561,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Yes, it's somewhat steep both out of water and in, so I'm afraid it will never be a good swimming beach.

Lifeguard said the murky water hides rocks underneath that are no fun to bang up against, as he displayed bruises on his legs. Still, there were a couple guys boogie boarding it on the south end when we were there last week. Inland there are couple ponds of water closed off by the flow that weren't being played in.

It's a long drive in either way you go, and the folks living along Pohoiki road are not happy at all about the increased traffic in their neighborhood.
Is there any sand to lay out and get sun ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: